Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: So which is it? page 7

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    It's both.

You need to be in a caloric deficit to lose weight, but not necessarily to lose fat. You can lose fat through changing diet and exercising more, even if you haven't changed overall caloric consumption. For those genuinely trying to shed pounds the deficit is necessary. However, due to things like cortisol and "starvation-mode" (but really this tends to occur only in extremely prolonged caloric deficits), you can have your defici be so high that the body clings to everything. You need the deficit, but you want to keep your deficit reasonable and not overdo it. The deficit could merely be eating maitinance calories and then upping exercise a bit and therefore the exercise creates a natural deficit. Weightloss would be slow but real.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    15% body fat hell
    lol!
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I don't think it can be all about food and dieting. I really think you also need the stuff in the primal blueprint fitness program. You don't have to do the exact program, but I think exercise of the type in the PBF program is part of obtaining the full gene expression and restoration of your primal health. Not that it will guarantee a skinny body, but a healthy, strong, resilient body is an amazing and wonderful thing that will become part of restoring your sanity with food.
    I have been doing alot of thinking this evening, due to this thread and others, and other stuff.... anyways, I am thinking I need to get back to the basics of the fitness, back to when I thought it was at least a 50/50 split of diet and exercise.

I got lax on the exercise. I was hungrier when I worked out. I thought it would be easier to watch what I put in, than what I exerted out. Then about that time hearing it was 80% nutrition. Then about that time I went LC and just didnt have the energy anyways.

I am finding energy & desire again by adding carbs back in, and I am exercising somewhat more, but not like I was when I was losing steady. And nothing consistent.

And everything is squishy, and some things looks worse than it did full of fat. So I am hoping I am ready to turn a new corner. I guess it is time to dust off PBF. Thanks
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    Dr thinks metabolic syndrome/insulin resistance.
    Thyroid stuff was in normal range may 2012 but is testing it again.
    Blood sugar level was 8.4 at 12 pm after only having bp coffee at 6:30am.
    So dr said he would be surprised if glucose levels are ok. Going back for fasted glucose test in the morning.

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post
    It's both.

You need to be in a caloric deficit to lose weight, but not necessarily to lose fat. You can lose fat through changing diet and exercising more, even if you haven't changed overall caloric consumption. For those genuinely trying to shed pounds the deficit is necessary. However, due to things like cortisol and "starvation-mode" (but really this tends to occur only in extremely prolonged caloric deficits), you can have your defici be so high that the body clings to everything. You need the deficit, but you want to keep your deficit reasonable and not overdo it. The deficit could merely be eating maitinance calories and then upping exercise a bit and therefore the exercise creates a natural deficit. Weightloss would be slow but real.
    I was low for 7 months or better. Like 1000 - 1200. I don't know if that was too low for too long, I don't know. But I think I am thinking, that for me to be successful again, I probably need to up the calories and up the exercise, let the exercise help create more of my deficit.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

When I was doing a very calorie restricted low fat diet 1000-1200 per day, I lost 20 lbs in the first 6 mo (most of that was in the first 2 mo). The second 6mo I went up and down the same 2lbs. I was stuck at 180 and being a 5'4" female it just didn't make sense. Since going primal Jan 2nd I am down 9 lbs. I tracked my calories in the begining between 1400-1600 most days. I have since stopped counting but they are likely the same and the weight has continued to fall off.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayla2010 View Post
    Dr thinks metabolic syndrome/insulin resistance.
    Thyroid stuff was in normal range may 2012 but is testing it again.
    Blood sugar level was 8.4 at 12 pm after only having bp coffee at 6:30am.
    So dr said he would be surprised if glucose levels are ok. Going back for fasted glucose test in the morning.
    Low carb primal (may not need to be keto) with sufficient exercise for the win IMO. Good luck in however you tackle it though.

TCates190 is offline Senior Member
    Calories in calories out is what creates weight gain or loss. But quality of food and macro ratios determine how well your engine runs...this is from my own experience of course. It's like anything else, different things work for different people.

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Low carb primal (may not need to be keto) with sufficient exercise for the win IMO. Good luck in however you tackle it though.
    Yes I asked the Dr this, and he agreed.

Zach is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayla2010 View Post
    Yes I asked the Dr this, and he agreed.
    Because its worked so well in the past?

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567