Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: So which is it? page 2

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, just my general experience without any scientific commentary here. Course I was not very unhealthy or anything when I started. Had like 10lbs of vanity fat I could lose, but I was just as happy to keep it. In fact I put it back on (10-15lb) over the course of 8-9 months while lifting heavy on purpose. I'm still sure some of it was fat.

Nivanthe is offline Senior Member
    I've come to the conclusion that it really just depends on the person based on their own metabolic situations. What works for one, may not work for another.

2012 was my year of experimentation ... I embraced high-fat Primal with gusto and didn't track what I was eating. I cut carbs, I tried IF. I gained 40lbs* back over the entire year after having lost 60 -- very disappointing when I stepped on the scale earlier last month. I also was not going to the gym, but I had maintained where I was at for over 6 months without it prior to switching to Primal.

*I only went up one pants size, or generous stretchy Express brand pants size, so while it did occur to me early on that I was gaining, I didn't realize quite how drastically. No, it wasn't muscle.

Now, I know what works, for me. I believe in cutting calories, however not going under BMR. I had mine tested and it's somewhere in the 1500s, so I try to eat 1700-1900, depending on activity. I'm back in the gym, lifting heavy and doing some cardio, and the weight is finally coming down again. I no longer cut carbs, however I do watch my fat because I'd rather it come from my own stores. Ketosis and 80% fat did not keep me satiated while trying to stay under 1600.

That doesn't mean I'm completely back to low-fat CW: I make sure the fat products I do get are grass-fed, and I still eat the whole [pasture raised] egg! I stay away from grains because they give me gas, but I will have pizza or a pastry if special occasion calls for it. I might be more "quality whole foods" or PHD than Primal now, but it works for me.

Here's to 2013

Ghshl is offline Senior Member
    Well, I do 90/10, I guess. And yeah, eat when hungry, usually twice a day, although sometimes I'll have a snack inbetween.
    I've been quite low carb most of the way, but as I'm at a weight I'm comfortable at, and am lifting heavy weights, I don't think so much about avoiding carbs anymore. Still would say I eat fairly low carb compared to non-primals

j3nn is online now Senior Member
    I think it's often both, usually in a vicious cycle that instigates each extreme. Too many calories leads to weight gain and oftentimes metabolic derangement, which is often remedied by the other extreme of cutting too many calories and nutrients which further aggravates the metabolic derangement. I think the key is to not live in extremes. The body has its own mechanisms for responding to them and they are usually detrimental to our health.

My experience after losing 90 lbs over the past 6 years is that calories are all that matter for basic weight loss, but you need to find what your caloric needs are and which foods alter the outcome. I can lose weight on high or low carb with insulin resistance and wrecked hormones as long as I'm eating less than I burn. And I've never resorted to low calorie dieting, always above 2k on average.
    Last edited by j3nn; 02-06-2013 at 02:00 PM.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men. - Samuel Adams

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by j3nn View Post
    I think it's often both, usually in a vicious cycle that instigates each extreme. Too many calories leads to weight gain and oftentimes metabolic derangement, which is often remedied by the other extreme of cutting too many calories and nutrients which further aggravates the metabolic derangement. I think the key is to not live in extremes. The body has its own mechanisms for responding to them and they are usually detrimental to our health.
    But how do you fix it if you have done this?
    I spent 13 years bingeing/losing weight with low fat etc/gaining weight.

Have I just really broken myself?

I have been back to primal since Oct last year, and as of today am 2 kg down since then. 4 kg were lost in Jan but have gained back 2 kg this week, and nothing has changed, except I lifted weights on Sat (surely that is not why?)

have I just really damaged myself now? If so, how do I fix it?

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    There is a certain element of eating more fat to become more satiated with fewer calories versus eating more carbs to sustain a higher activity level. That said in Nazi Germany, the Minnesota Starvation experiment, and various real starvation events produced extreme body weight reduction without exception.

I think that the key is to find what works for any given individual based on their desired mass and intended activity level. Any time you're eating mostly unprocessed foods, not overusing sugar and avoiding toxic oils you're bound to be more healthy. Cutting overall calories is needed if fat loss is desired but the over demonization of carbohydrates is also foolish especially in the context of athletic performance.

j3nn is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayla2010 View Post
    But how do you fix it if you have done this?
    I spent 13 years bingeing/losing weight with low fat etc/gaining weight.

Have I just really broken myself?

I have been back to primal since Oct last year, and as of today am 2 kg down since then. 4 kg were lost in Jan but have gained back 2 kg this week, and nothing has changed, except I lifted weights on Sat (surely that is not why?)

have I just really damaged myself now? If so, how do I fix it?
    I think there is hope for everyone. I think first you have to know what is "broken" and correct that if there is something. I'd do extensive hormone panels and see whats up, then take it from there. Do what you know works and that you like in the meantime. It's hard to guess what's wrong. It's better to have evidence of it first so you don't waste time fixing something that's not broken.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men. - Samuel Adams

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    While I was trying to lose weight, I counted calories. I started off at a lower weight though (around 120 and 5'4) and it would have been easy to overeat and not lose at a lower starting weight. To maintain, I don't really count calories at all most of the time.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

I am not an athlete, I am a stay at home mum, who currently walks every day (4-5 km) well the last few weeks I hadn't been, but back to it now.
    Too many carbs make me feel not so great. And yes I am eating no processed foods, sugars or toxic oils.

If I was more hungry I would eat more.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by j3nn View Post
    I think there is hope for everyone. I think first you have to know what is "broken" and correct that if there is something. I'd do extensive hormone panels and see whats up, then take it from there. Do what you know works and that you like in the meantime. It's hard to guess what's wrong. It's better to have evidence of it first so you don't waste time fixing something that's not broken.
    I am going to ask for blood tests today.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast