Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: That Time of Year - Lenten Whole30 page 2

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Yes, I was joking. I saw on the news today the pope quit his job. It was kind of shocking news. I'm not even a Catholic. I guess it's been a very long time since a pope has resigned.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 210 x 3

phigment is online now Senior Member
    Fasting on Fridays and holy days. That means two mini meals (together should not equal one) and one normal meal in the day. Fish is okay and broth like soups.

Tigger is offline Member
    Originally it was no meat at all during Lent and fasting every Friday. With Vatican II in the 60's it changed to no meat on Fridays and fasting on Ash Wednesday and Good Friday. I don't know what the reasoning was for excluding fish from the no meat category. It was all based on Christ gave up His life for us, so we give up something for Lent, something important, so giving up watermelon when it's out of season doesn't count!

Chicagorunner is offline Junior Member
    I'm in! Starting today...it's been hard for me to fully commit to Paleo, but I think Lent is a great time for it. All starts today- good luck everyone!

john_solo is offline Senior Member
    Starts today (after way to many drinks last night) with a 24 hour fast. Good luck to all!

PeaceKaren is offline Member
    Wine tasting and Chipotle carnitas with cheese and sour cream last night. Avoiding dairy on the Whole30 will be the hardest part for me.

Fasting today (water only).

Tigger is offline Member
    Count me in as another one who's starting off with a fast, about 36 hours when you count from dinner last night to breakfast on Thursday.

kbn1 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    Campanella, I'm pretty sure she was joking .

For those who are not Christian-ly inclined, what are the "requirements" to adhere to a Lenten diet? My parents are Orthodox Christian and do not follow it in the same way that Catholics do, from my understanding. My mom usually just limited us to fish, but I think the real deal is supposed to be full on vegan.
    The Eastern Orthodox and Oriental Orthodox do have different fasting requirements and you are correct that it is basically full on vegan. How exactly that plays out though is between the person and his/her confessor. Pregnant and nursing mothers are forbidden from fasting as far as I know, as are children. Monastics tend to keep the most ascetic form of the fasts. The true fast is a spiritual fast though. This year the Eastern Orthodox Lent doesn't begin until March 18th and Easter is May 5th.

popsta is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    Campanella, I'm pretty sure she was joking .

For those who are not Christian-ly inclined, what are the "requirements" to adhere to a Lenten diet? My parents are Orthodox Christian and do not follow it in the same way that Catholics do, from my understanding. My mom usually just limited us to fish, but I think the real deal is supposed to be full on vegan.
    That's right...if you do it properly it is vegetarian...no animal products, or rather no product from an animal which has blood...that's why shellfish and the like are ok. Except for Palm Sunday when you are supposed to eat fish.

The Catholic lent (according to my Catholic friends) means giving up something that you really like for the duration.

Farfalla is offline Senior Member
    I'm in - I need a little clean-up. I will do a regular Whole30, though, and not 100% but just about 95/5 because I had already promised to cook a meal that involves beans.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast