Thread: Incorporating primal aspects into an Olympic distance triathlon program page

xwolfhunter is offline Junior Member

Question Incorporating primal aspects into an Olympic distance triathlon program

Primal Fuel
    Hello, all. I have a few questions regarding how to incorporate Grok's lifestyle into my own. I'm good on the diet part, and have purchased the Primal Blueprint and the Primal Connection (They will arrive tomorrow, and I am looking forward to reading them). My questions stem from a confusion on how I would go about mixing Grok's workouts into my own.

I am starting training for a triathlon in about two weeks, once my swim season is over. After a month of training, my track season starts. During my track season, Grok will be forgotten workout-wise, and I have everything planned out for that, but after track season, I will be back to triathlon training.

I was just wondering how one would go about incorporating the primal fitness style into triathlon training. Would one simply replace the move part with the triathlon stuff, and do the Lift Heavy Things and sprint bits like you would if you were just doing primal fitness? This seems to be the most logical way of doing this, but I wanted to see if any of you here have done something like this before.

Thanks!

OneDeltaTenTango is online now Senior Member
    Read Maffetone. He hs some books and good web content.

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    for triathlon training, i would just do my swim/bike/run workouts at a fun pace to start off. even if you're doing brick workouts, you're only really looking at a couple of hours of exercise. don't push yourself really hard and have a good time with them. i would count those as moving slowly, and do them 2-3 days per week. lifting heavy things would be one intense, fully body workout a week, or two fairly hard full-body workouts a week, all body weight movements. those days would get just walking, hiking, or play as extra activities. i would mix sprints in there when i could, probably as speed work during the cardio workouts. and, of course, eating and rest would get plenty of attention too.
    as long as you're having a good time and not counting the seconds until a workout is over, i think it's pretty easy to prep for an olympic tri from a primal standpoint. obviously, if you're trying to win the thing you'll need to dump the primal fitness aspect and just beat the crap out of your body for a while.

also, i don't see any reason why you should give up primal fitness philosophies for track season. track and field is probably the most primal sport there is: sprinting, jumping, throwing things. track is basically hunting and survival without the saber toothed tiger. keep it primal and you'll probably do amazing.

xwolfhunter is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by primalrob View Post
    also, i don't see any reason why you should give up primal fitness philosophies for track season. track and field is probably the most primal sport there is: sprinting, jumping, throwing things. track is basically hunting and survival without the saber toothed tiger. keep it primal and you'll probably do amazing.
    I meant extracurricularly. I suppose that I will still do the Lift Heavy Things stuff, but other than that I'll just do track stuff and some biking and swimming. And some flexibility stuff . . .

Thanks for the advice! You too, OneDelta!