Thread: Sinus infection-like symptoms. Gluten? Dairy? page

vintageeats is offline Member

Sinus infection-like symptoms. Gluten? Dairy?

Shop Now
    Hi all,

Longtime lurker, rare poster, but I'm going to try to get more involved in this community - having this kind of support is fantastic!

So I've been on and off the wagon with regard to Primal Eating for awhile, meaning I'll eat well during the week and then during the weekend, I'll loosen up the reins a little bit. But, being aware of what loosening up the reins does to my body and feeling the after-effects, I'm doubting that it's even worth it at all. Just recently I attended a local food conference in Northern Wisconsin, which was fantastic, but the meat options weren't that great. I ended up not using this as a great opportunity for IF, but rather, as a great opportunity to catch up on the carby foods that I had been (not) missing. Honestly, as I was eating that stuff, I was thinking - God, this is just fodder. I felt undernourished the whole time.

In any case, now I'm back and eating Primally, but I have what feels like a sinus infection. My throat is a bit sore and I'm experiencing some post-nasal drippage. Phlegmy. I'm wondering, does anyone know if this is my body detoxifying from all the gluten? Could it be the hard cheese that I've been leaning on as I get back into the swing of low carb eating again? Or did I just manage to get myself sick?

Thoughts appreciated. Thanks, everybody!
    Jen

Height - 5'5"
    Current weight - 170
    Goal weight - 115-135, will see when I get there :-)
    Last edited by vintageeats; 02-06-2013 at 08:15 AM.

AuroraB is offline Senior Member
    I tend to get this way from gluten and sugar, not dairy so much. Although, dairy has been known to cause all of this too, in certain people.
    The holidays are always the time I go off my usual WOE. I get a lot of post nasal drip and lethargy when I eat all the baked goods around that time.
    Everyones different, but for me, it usually takes a couple weeks for me to get back to feeling 100%.

Could've been sugar too, eek. When I go off this WOE, I go OFF. So not worth it. Do you detox in any way to get back to feeling 100%? Anything to speed the healing process along (besides not getting into that mess in the first place)?

AuroraB is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by vintageeats View Post
    Could've been sugar too, eek. When I go off this WOE, I go OFF. So not worth it. Do you detox in any way to get back to feeling 100%? Anything to speed the healing process along (besides not getting into that mess in the first place)?
    Not really. I had thought about it though. I thought that maybe doing a juice fast could speed it along. I use barleans greens mix when I do that.
    Basically, I think my body just needs to have enough time to re-set and if I knew I could make that re-set happen faster, I'd probably fall out my usual WOE more often than not.
    I have pretty good willpower (read: stubborness) but sometimes my memory for how miserable it makes me is not so good. LOL!

Here here! That is so true. It's a stark contrast between feeling really good (having made this change) and the way my base physiological/psychological condition was. When you eat badly, you don't especially notice how bad one particular food group makes you feel - you just feel generally bad.

You're absolutely right - if our bodies re-set fast, we would cheat more often. This is the second time I've had these symptoms.. would've thought I learned the first time :-)

paleodog is offline Member
    Sugars, carbs and ESPECIALLY grains ALWAYS do this to me. When I don't eat that stuff my symptoms clear up within a week. It's amazingly predictable for me. That stuff is soo baad

Just got done with a dinner of bacon, an egg, and some kale.. but still clearing the junky stuff out of my throat. Bah. So bad.