Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: preparation for pullups page 3

Bifcus is offline Senior Member
    I have never been able to do even one pullup. Even at my best, I could not support my bodyweight when I had been boosted into a pullup position.

But I have recently found Pulling Without Pullups? How To Train Your No-Tech Pull :: stumptuous.com and this has spurred me on to another attempt.

I am currently doing pull-alongs to start building some strength. My way to do this is to lie face down on my polished wooden floor at the top of the steps, and pretend the top step is my pullup bar. So I grip the edge of that top step with my fingers, and pull myself along the floor. The push back adds to the workout. If you have carpet that doesn't slide, try lying on a sheet of cardboard or something else that will reduce the friction. If you don't have a stair to grab, try using a sliding door track, or even place a broom handle across a doorway to simulate a bar.

Now, I realise this isn't exactly the same movement as a traditional pullup. However, I can feel it using the correct muscle groups, and I certainly know about it the day after. I consider it a bit like the pullup equivalent of the wall pushup - close enough to start generating enough strength that I should be able to then go on and get to the assisted pullup starting line.

Bifcus.

heatseeker is offline Senior Member
    Bifcus, I've never heard of that before, but it sounds like genius! Wish I'd known about it when I was starting to build up to pullups!

Annlee is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bifcus View Post
    I have never been able to do even one pullup. Even at my best, I could not support my bodyweight when I had been boosted into a pullup position.

But I have recently found Pulling Without Pullups? How To Train Your No-Tech Pull :: stumptuous.com and this has spurred me on to another attempt.

I am currently doing pull-alongs to start building some strength. My way to do this is to lie face down on my polished wooden floor at the top of the steps, and pretend the top step is my pullup bar. So I grip the edge of that top step with my fingers, and pull myself along the floor. The push back adds to the workout. If you have carpet that doesn't slide, try lying on a sheet of cardboard or something else that will reduce the friction. If you don't have a stair to grab, try using a sliding door track, or even place a broom handle across a doorway to simulate a bar.

Now, I realise this isn't exactly the same movement as a traditional pullup. However, I can feel it using the correct muscle groups, and I certainly know about it the day after. I consider it a bit like the pullup equivalent of the wall pushup - close enough to start generating enough strength that I should be able to then go on and get to the assisted pullup starting line.

Bifcus.
    The floor drags are exactly what I've needed!! Thanks for the link!!

MprDoc is offline Senior Member
    Type into google "Bro Brothers Pull up progression" or here Pull Up Progression Training Exercise Beginner to Advanced Challenge - YouTube pull ups are tough so be patient. Great work out though!

Type into google "Bro Brothers Pull up progression" or here Pull Up Progression Training Exercise Beginner to Advanced Challenge - YouTube pull ups are tough so be patient. Great work out though!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Im in the Navy and work with Marines so I have to do pull ups often. One thing that has helped me is working on "negatives." You can use a chair to help your self up but than slowly lower yourself maintaining control. You can also put your feet on a chair and use your legs to assist.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123