Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Nursing Moms and Oatmeal? page 3

Juliemama is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    OK everybody, first of all, thank you for the comments. Let me clear a few things up.
    This is not my first rodeo. I am almost 40, I have 2 older kids ages 9 and 10, I nursed them, too, and had them sleep in my bed as well when they were very small. They transitioned to their own cribs with no issues, and they sleep in their own beds now.
    I have never had a milk supply problem. My son has more than doubled his birth weight in 2 months. He is happy and healthy.
    I will have a small glass of wine with dinner, not before bed.
    My question was to the Moms who perhaps have added oatmeal to their diet and found it to cause bloating or discomfort.
    *sigh*
    Nuts are an option, I tend go overboard with them, so I haven't kept any around lately. Maybe nuts and fruit and yogurt...I find with just the eggs I still WANT something else..sweet potato hashbrowns, I guess!

InSearchOfAbs is offline Senior Member
    Or maybe you could try some unsweetened GRANOLA (that's oats, right? and maybe not
    so bloatful?) IN yogurt.

OMG, I'm salivating at the thought.

Ha Ha, I don't NEED to have the oatmeal, I was just wondering about others' experiences.
    Update, no oatmeal for 2 days, and I look like I lost a few lbs around the middle.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    Yes, oatmeal can cause me tummy troubles, as do most grains!

I do ok on rice, but not fabu. Bloating is most common.

I prefer to go the squash/sweet potato route.

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Oatmeal is one of those things for me, that I just don't understand. I don't understand how some ppl, health gurus, can be so pro oatmeal. For weight loss, for lower cholesterol, and whatever else. And then others, are so con. Causes weight gain, bloating, etc.

And here is where I am coming from with that. When I started losing weight, I was CW way, which meant learning to eat and like Steel Cut Oats. Never really did before that. So then I start losing weight. I started liking Steel Cut. Then found primal and cut it out. Along the way, weight loss is slowing to stop.

So I thought I would try to do a few things I was doing before, borderline primal, or maybe not even borderline, I don't know, but things like cup of prepared Steel Cut Oats. Maybe 1/4 to 1/2 cup chickpeas, which I never ate before trying to lose weight, but when I started to eat these things, I started to lose weight. (yes I also cut out lots and lots of other really bad things)

So anyways, added a few things back in, and now, I am up 8lbs. And this is with calories in check. Fat not going over 60grams most days. Even carbs not really going all that high. 150-175 at the most, but I was losing weight CW on way more. Again, I know that was way down from where it was. (fwiw, still under 100g carbs most days)

Sorry.... just typing outloud now and getting sidetracked.

Anyways, I thought I could get by with adding those things back in, since it worked before. And now I like oatmeal. With banana, and nutbutter, maybe little cocoa. Or blueberries w/cinnamon. It is like dessert to me and probably keeps me from porking out on cake or something. But I am learning, that I like cottage cheese just as much as oatmeal with these things. And greek yogurt too, but I thought I would try the oatmeal again.

So anyways, I just wonder why some of the health gurus, especially those that know grain is bad, and those that say to cut/watch your carbs... why they are still okay with oatmeal.
    Last edited by gopintos; 02-06-2013 at 04:20 PM.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Quote Originally Posted by gopintos View Post
    So anyways, added a few things back in, and now, I am up 8lbs. And this is with calories in check. Fat not going over 60grams most days. Even carbs not really going all that high. 150-175 at the most, but I was losing weight CW on way more. Again, I know that was way down from where it was. (fwiw, still under 100g carbs most days)

Sorry.... just typing outloud now and getting sidetracked.
    Still talking to myself.... I was just thinking the main difference, back then I was chronic cardio also. When I went LC and lower calories, that pretty much stopped. Just no energy or desire.

Now I have added things back in, but I am not back to the exercise level that I was, though I have started some things again hmmmm. But my calories are still on the lower side. When I exercised more, I ate more also. hmmmmm

Okay sorry, back to regularly scheduled posting - oatmeal.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    My thing on grains is this: I didn't realize they were at issue. I thought my issue was a sensitive stomach or something. Then I went vegan and discovered a dairy issue. Then later, when I went paleo, I discovered a grain issue.

small tummy upset. gas and bloating. sometimes constipation. but, I figured "that's life" not -- it's this stuff I'm eating. LOL and, there was a strong emotional connection to my stomach, too. Under stress? more upset tummy. Better to fast.

So, eating grains since discovering their connection to gas/tummy? Not a huge deal. I mean, I can eat them. Preference? Steel cut oats to instant oatmeal. Reality, instant oatmeal is easier to get, and sometimes I use it to keep my life simple (ie, traveling, staying as a guest at someone's house).

It takes several days to get symptoms -- so stacked up. I can feel 'extra full' after eating them, but if I'm doing normal fasting windows, etc. . . then it's no bigs. But if I eat them for several days running, then we end up with "bigs" -- smal stomach aches, bloating, etc.

I think that if I needed to increase carbs, I'd probably go potatoes/sweet potatoes and then also the fruit route.

Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    It takes several days to get symptoms -- so stacked up. I can feel 'extra full' after eating them, but if I'm doing normal fasting windows, etc. . . then it's no bigs. But if I eat them for several days running, then we end up with "bigs" -- smal stomach aches, bloating, etc.

I think that if I needed to increase carbs, I'd probably go potatoes/sweet potatoes and then also the fruit route.
    This may be my trouble. It is catching up with me. I have been having it daily. Sometimes twice. I don't have stomach pains, but gaining. Well, I am on a losing trend now, I think. So will cut it back out and see what happens. I hope I don't have a dairy thing too. I really like to put my blueberries in something.

That's what it was Zoebird, I had been eating it every morning...I think it is cumulative, Gopintos, I remember eating it now and again and not having any problems.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123