Ding ding ding! Another newbie thread. "I ate all the coconut and almond butter and greek yogurt like I was supposed to and I watched every calorie and had some dainty snacks and how come it's not working o woe is me." There are DOZENS of newbie threads on the forums which sound exactly like yours. Think of it this way: you're clearly NOT the only one who's been through this. But there's a pretty set path to fixing your metabolism. You need to fix your metabolism first, before you think about any weight loss. Sometimes weight loss happens right away, sometimes it takes a month or two to begin. But don't worry, it will work. All the newbies got there, and you will too.
So here are the suggestions for newbies:
1. Have you gone through carb flu? Have you forgotten to eat a meal on a busy day, as in "oops, I was supposed to have lunch but I was just so busy that I forgot and now it's 3 PM already!" ?
2. Ditch the nuts, nut butters, and yogurt. Nuts are high fat, but for some reason they don't make you feel full, and for some reason they don't work to change your metabolism (at least not for me). Yogurt has too much sugar. And this sounds odd, but don't concentrate on coconut. Use it, but don't obsess.
3. Eat meals, not finger food. That phrase "real food" means you have to cook it, put it on a plate, and use a knife and fork. Primal fare is messy and drippy. If you're using your fingers or just a spoon or standing at the counter or don't need a napkin, then you're not eating, you're SNACKING, probably on the wrong stuff.
4. STUFF YOURSELF. Yup, fatty ground beef or steak, any part of a chicken that is NOT chicken breast, the entire egg, pork sausage if you can find one without too many additives. Lots of cooked low carb veggies like kale or green beans or bell peppers with lots of BUTTER AND SALT. Yup, all the butter you can hold. You should feel like you like it was Thanksgiving day, so stuffed that you never want to eat again. If you feel hungry or you want bread and sugar, eat another fatty filling meal to where you never want to eat again. And do it again tomorrow. Yes, your friends will think you're nuts.
5. Do NOT look at calories. They don't matter (yet).
6. Do this for about 2 months, be strict, and watch for carb flu. That's a big indicator that your metabolism is switching from sugar burner to fat burner. You may gain a pound or two during this. That's okay. The important thing is to be fat adapted. Once you're feeling better, then you can start cutting down on the food so that you don't feel so full. You may even forget a meal; that's another good indicator.
5'0" female, 42 years old.
Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs.
Current weight: 101.5. lbs and holding steady. Spring yardwork here we come!
Co-worker 1: Needs to lose ~50. Now he wants to start Mayo Clinic Diet. Yeesh. Give it up, man.
Co-worker 2: Needed to lose ~55. Lost 20 from stress. Started Primal in Sept, lost 20 more, but gained 10 back on a carb spree. We're working on it.