Thread: Running page

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member

Primal Fuel

So I was feeling a little nuts last night and decided to head out to the gym. Having been a member of the Chronic Cardio Clan I still have a love of running. I ended up on the treadmill for 2 hours, running a total of 12 miles.

I know this sort of stuff is stressful to the body. I was on a total endorphin high when I finished, and although I was totally craving a bathtub size bowl of fruit, I moderated myself. OMG, that was a fun run.

So I was just thinking... is it ok to do one of these long, intense runs once in a while? What should I take into consideration?

hannahc is offline Senior Member

Oh man it is 70 degrees today and gorgeous, and I totally want to go for a run! Not 12 miles, but I was considering 4ish. I've only ever sprinted on turf or grass in my vibrams, so I don't know how I'd feel running 4 miles on pavement though.

I think every once in a while is probably fine, if you really want to do it, then do it! As long as we don't get into the run more to eat more to run more cycle (at least that was me before), then you should let yourself have fun I'm going to be hiking for hours and hours next Friday, and I can't wait.

You are what you eat,
    and what you eat eats too - Michael Pollan

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member

Why not? Very occasional stress of that nature can be good for you. And it's not like humans never had the need to run that long for some reason: chasing a herd or whatever. A few weeks ago I found myself stuck downtown without a car at around midnight, with a violent electrical storm moving in. I understood the need for a prolonged run that night.

You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member

Hannahc- I was in that cycle too, which makes me even more glad I found MDA. Hiking is so much fun- probably more so than running. I got quite a work out last weekend, using muscles I forgot I had.

Primalchild- Great point!

Ok, I feel better now. Maybe once a month or something I'll allow myself some "pleasurable stress."

Trinkwasser Guest

hahaha Primalchild's story reminds me of a time when I was walking on the Downs near the coast and there was an awesome storm out to sea. Suddenly it changed direction and speeded up. I ran full tilt for my car, festooned with camera bag, thermos etc. and swam the last hundred metres . . . if I'd been just a tad fitter I'd have stayed dry

glorth2 is offline Senior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

I have a question about this since I had been trying to get in 3 miles about twice or 3 times a week. Mark's excercise summation says that chronic cardio isn't good and, indeed, I remember reading something that if you run over X number of miles a week you're not doing it to lose weight. Which, I do...around my belly. So is the play/walk/sprint thing better? I never liked running much anyway and was trying to keep my metabolism up.

Thanks.