Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: N=Val. Experiments in healing... page 2

valmason01 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by jenn26point2 View Post
    Hey, I saw something today on the interwebz about 5-htp helping with fibro pain as it increases the body's production of serotonin (but is side effect free as an amino acid found in food (derivative of tryptophan)) and that it also helps with insomnia. Not sure if you have the insomnia part of fibro, but it might help with your pain. The one caveat though is that you cannot take it with antidepressants. May be something you'd be interested in looking into? Just thought I'd throw it out there.
    I take anti depressants I really want off of them however so maybe this is an option in the future. I am scared to change anything right now.

Quote Originally Posted by geostump View Post
    I'm new to arthritis myself so am trying to learn as much as I can about it. It was troubling to find out that I've had it since I was a kid. Between dad's MS and my family history between my mother and my oldest sis, it seems like I am destined for it.
    Does primal eating help w/ the arthritis? I understand there are trigger foods/behaviors just like other stuff. I am sorry! That is hard.

Tomi, do you take HRT? I had a hysterectomy just over 6 years ago and have been taking the HRT. I quit taking it in the fall but have started again to see if that will help w/ all the issues I have been having.
    You know all those things you wanted to do: You should go do them.

Age 48
    height 5'3
    SW 215 lbs
    CW 180 lbs (whole foods/primal eating)
    LW 172 lbs
    GW 125ish lbs

geostump is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by valmason01 View Post
    Does primal eating help w/ the arthritis? I understand there are trigger foods/behaviors just like other stuff. I am sorry! That is hard.
    I'd have to say it does. I don't really seem to have much pain from it except when it rains. I have found that sweets(sweet chocolate) can make it worse for me. I've been in pain on and off since Sunday after eating a bit. And that was within a few hours of eating it.
    Georgette

Day 2: Jumped back into the jungle today. All the monkeys were reasonably sweet though one did tell me "I want you to go away." This was when I was insisting the jungle toys be returned to their proper place. The upside to this is he is ASD and his language skills and ability to express himself have dramatically improved lately.

Still foraging a higher carb path. I put my macros in MFP last night. Calories 1315. Carbs 70. Fat 83 and Protein 76. Not sure what the percentages are there but I think protein should be down. I am trying not to stress too much over it until I feel stronger. Trying to avoid the scale too. The damn thing just yells at me. Weigh yourself! Weigh yourself!! Your self worth is all dependent on this number! AHHHHHHH!!!

Overall, today was just better though. I left the house, I went to work and was a functioning human being. Considering the last few days that was a pretty big accomplishment.

Age 48
    height 5'3
    SW 215 lbs
    LW 172 lbs
    GW 125ish lbs

tomi is online now Senior Member
    I'd have to say it does. I don't really seem to have much pain from it except when it rains. I have found that sweets(sweet chocolate) can make it worse for me. I've been in pain on and off since Sunday after eating a bit. And that was within a few hours of eating it.
    Thats what happens to me when I eat grains/sugars. My fibro wakes up and I get that deep annoying pain in my legs and arms. That alone is good enough reason to stay pretty clean - nope I'm not 100% but I try.
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

Things I choose to let go:

All grains - including rice
    Refined sugars
    Legumes - including peanut butter
    Nuts and nut butters
    Alcohol and soda
    Chocolate
    Acidic foods, such as pineapple and tomato
    Coffee and tea
    Eggs
    Curry
    White potato
    Dairy - including butter

I'm choosing to do this......... I don't HAVE to.

I'm doing this because I'm worth it - because I'm worthy - because I love myself.

tomi is online now Senior Member
    Val - with fibro, sometimes just getting out of bed is an accomplishment! Glad you're feeling better. Stay strong - and stay on course! I can control my fibro completely by contolling my diet and by staying active.

As for the HRT question - nope I haven't tried and really don't want to go there. My menopausal symptoms are really very mild. I don't have mood swings at all - never have. The hot flashes have reduced to night sweats only. My libido is really the only thing that is causing me grief! I want it back! I feel like a part of me died! I used to have a very healthy libido - now, I have none!

I've "borrowed" some romance novels from my daughters stash to read while we're on vacation. Hopefully I will be in the "mood" for hubby's sake. Maybe the reading plus some rum will do the trick. But the rum will also have negative effects on my weight loss attempts so I'm planning to go VERY light on that.
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

Things I choose to let go:

All grains - including rice
    Refined sugars
    Legumes - including peanut butter
    Nuts and nut butters
    Alcohol and soda
    Chocolate
    Acidic foods, such as pineapple and tomato
    Coffee and tea
    Eggs
    Curry
    White potato
    Dairy - including butter

I'm choosing to do this......... I don't HAVE to.

I'm doing this because I'm worth it - because I'm worthy - because I love myself.

Quote Originally Posted by tomi View Post
    Thats what happens to me when I eat grains/sugars. My fibro wakes up and I get that deep annoying pain in my legs and arms. That alone is good enough reason to stay pretty clean - nope I'm not 100% but I try.
    I would guess that any inflammatory foods would make it worse. And I agree Tomi, though I am slow sometimes. The biggest problem has been the chips with their bad oils. I don't eat wheat. I do eat corn chips though, most recently at Moes over the weekend. Which are cooked in soy oil btw. So...yes fibro wakes up and it is evil. Feel better Geo! Arthritis is evil too!

Tomi, good luck w/ the libido thing. Shame I can't trade w/ you since I am single. I have noticed since I started the HRT again it has increased. Sigh... If I figure out a way to send you some it is all yours!

Age 48
    height 5'3
    SW 215 lbs
    LW 172 lbs
    GW 125ish lbs

Day 3: Overslept but did manage to get up and go to work. Late but i got there. Praying I don't lose my job in all of this. Remember reading that fibromyalgia screws with the way we perceive its time to sleep. Our bodies get confused and "wake up" when we lay down then want to sleep when we are up. And that sleep is always better in the early morning hours. I have found that to be true. Somewhere around 3 I fall into a deep sleep and waking up at 6 or 7 is almost impossible. So...the next battle is to get past that. I will overcome this! Have been hovering around 1300 calories, and 70-80 grams each of macros. I have no idea if that is good, bad or indifferent. I guess I will find out as I go. All my movement has been at work. And I do walk a fair amount but I have no idea if its enough. One step at a time.

Age 48
    height 5'3
    SW 215 lbs
    LW 172 lbs
    GW 125ish lbs

Day 4. Scaled down 1.5 lbs but I have been gaining and losing the same two pounds since Jan so not overly excited. I am so tired. Just deep down bone aching exhaustion. All I know is to keep going with what I am doing and hope it is the right thing.

Age 48
    height 5'3
    SW 215 lbs
    LW 172 lbs
    GW 125ish lbs

Days 5 and 6. STuck in the damn quicksand again. Trying to be calm and ease my way out of it. They say not to fight but I may have to go against the rules here. I am not giving up! I will survive! (cue cheesy music)

Age 48
    height 5'3
    SW 215 lbs
    LW 172 lbs
    GW 125ish lbs

phigment is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    watch out for the RUS's. Is the cheezy song I will survive because in my mind I heard the long ranger theme song.

Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast