Page 16 of 26 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: N=Val. Experiments in healing... page 16

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    I want to share that study with my MIL, but figure she probably doesn't want it... so I won't bother. It makes me sad to not share it with her, but what's the use?
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

tomi is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jenn26point2 View Post
    I want to share that study with my MIL, but figure she probably doesn't want it... so I won't bother. It makes me sad to not share it with her, but what's the use?
    In regards to MIL: as a person with fibro I can tell you that the thought of adding MORE pain is unbarable! Even with the promise/hope of eventually relieving the pain. We suffer enough pain as it is, but to purposefully inflict more sounds masocistic. With staying grain/sugar free I don't experience the pain anymore - but still the thought of doing something that would cause me pain makes me want to close that door! But will do a little more research on it. If I could feel even better than I do now its worth a shot for the small $ expense.

Let it go with MIL --- she's like my sister - stubborn and scared to try something new. Be the stationary lighthouse!
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

Weight goals:
    Highest weight: 216
    Current weight: 189 (7-16-14)
    Goal weight: 140

Katsuhiko the Rolfer is offline Senior Member
    if you don't currently stretch every day then I would start with that before you start SMR rolling, especially if you have not been getting any manual therapy

Long (30 - 60 second) relaxed stretching of the major muscles whilst consciously breathing and relaxing - the idea is to calm the tissue and allow it to stretch under minimal effort. If you do this correctly you will find the tissue relaxes and you can stretch further. I would suggest at least a month of stretching every day before you start with the roller - this will lessen the discomfort you experience when you roll

You can also modulate the amount of discomfort on the roller by adjusting the amount of body weight you put through the roller by supporting yourself on your arms. The most tender parts are going to be I.T bands, shins, hips and other areas with bony protuberances. Most people find that the large muscles in the back, glutes and hamstrings really appreciate being rolled.

Combining stretching and rolling will lower tension and calm activated triggger points, release endorphins, encourage better sleep and reduce anxiety. Combined with a very low carb/sugar diet and some positive visualisation these multi=strand treatment protocols can give tremendous relief.

I LOVE rolling my hamstrings and glutes!! Absolutely LOVE it.

I despise rolling my IT bands. THAT hurts the worst. Hipflexors also don't much care for the roller, but that is my tightest muscle group and the one that causes me the most trouble (as a runner) so I have to roll them if I want to be able to run pain free. I also enjoy rolling my quads, but they don't necessarily care for it either - kinetic chain kind of thing - *singing* the hip flexor's connected to the quadricep, blah blah blah.

My shins aren't too bad. Calves like it too.

But, nothing, NOTHING feels as awesome as rolling my back.

The process feels really awkward at first, and takes a bit of time to master the movements, but it stretches things in ways that you can't stretch them manually.

best way to loosen your hip flexors (psoas) is to train your hip extensors (glutes) for strength and then stretch the psoas

also be sure not to recruit psoas when training abdominals by, say, hooking the toes or feet - and no static straight leg exercises

I do glute strengthening exercises 5x a week by way of body weight squats and body weight lunges, additionally I spend 2 days per week doing deadlifts and weight squats/leg curls. I also do box steps, bridge ups, etc.

Working with my chiropractor/ART doctor to keep these loose. She's been helping me for about 2 years b/c I developed some running issues when I was half marathon running. My biggest (longest lasting) problem was sciatica. She found that my piriformis loosened up nicely when she did some trigger release stuff on my hip flexors. It's all related.

that's not exactly what I meant:

train the glutes with an isometric contraction exercise (like a leg raise from the all-fours position, spine straight), squeeze hard for a good 10 to 15 seconds then immediately switch to a psoas stretch on the same hip

what this does is activate the glute which then inhibits the psoas, so that when you stretch the psoas 'stretch reflex' is momentarily overcome meaning you can achieve further permanent deformation than normal

this is a technique relying on the contraction of the antagonist to overcome the natural 'guarding' of the activated (tight) muscle which in your case is the psoas

simply stretching and treating the psoas is not effective because stretching an activated muscle merely weakens the inhibited agonist (glutes in your case)

hope this helps

Got ya! I thought you were talking about something else. I've been doing a lot of glute isolation exercises to build my glutes (drs orders) and thought that's what you meant. I will definitely try this next time b/c I never feel like I got a good stretch when I do my psoas/quad stretches.

valmason01 is offline Senior Member
    Okay I am lost: What are psoas and IT bands?

I don't stretch or do the strength training. I will start adding the stretches but I am so paranoid about starting any type of exercise with this second job. I have really had so much good energy this week and I am terrified of losing it. My energy level has always been so low and when it is good I am scared to mess with it Would it help to start out with just a few minutes and build up? Suggestions on increasing energy levels?

Thanks for all the advice!
    You know all those things you have always wanted to do? You should go do them.

Nah.. I was always aware "they" were out to get me.. even before I became Primal..... Now I can just run faster if they find me-Dino Hunter

Age 46
    height 5'3
    SW 215 lbs
    CW 180 lbs (whole foods/primal eating)
    LW 172 lbs
    GW 125ish lbs

OK so if you have never stretched then start very gently and just do a few minutes and build it up.

I would start with the stretching first and probably you are going to need 4 to 6 weeks, then I would start rolling gently. But let's get you stretching first. Here's how to start:

Ideally warm up a little by having a brisk walk, climb some stairs or bounce on a rebounder, cycle or something. Just 5 mins til you are very slightly out of breath and a light sheen of sweat. I also suggest you dress up warm too. Do most of your stretches on the floor, on a mat or a carpet, but sitting down.

Try a hamstring stretch first and learn the technique. Then apply to any part that feels like it needs it.

Sit on your backside upright with legs together in front, ankles relaxed (don't pull toes up)
    Place hands on thighs and just do a forward lean and relax. Remember to breathe regularly and remain relaxed throughout. Now push ever so slightly forward, gently, and stop moving when you first notice an increase in tension in your hamstrings.
    Now, hold this position for about 8 to seconds and consciously relax your body whilst breathing regularly.
    When you notice the tension in the leg reduce then lean gently forward again to increase the stretch and again, as soon as you notice the tension return, stop and relax. Hold this position for 10 seconds or more then slowly return to the start (upright position)
    Have a breather and try again. Then pay attention to how you feel. Should be quite pleasurable.

As you learn to stretch like this you will be able to flow from stretch to stretch. Start with about 10 minutes a day, every day

let me know how you get on

You know I charge 55 per hour for this advice (approx $80)

but no charge for you!!

ps don't worry about psoas and glutes, that was specific to Jenn, just start the stretching - gently, if you can't reax then you've stretched too far
    Last edited by Katsuhiko the Rolfer; 04-12-2013 at 04:06 PM.

Page 16 of 26 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast