Page 11 of 26 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: N=Val. Experiments in healing... page 11

valmason01 is offline Senior Member

time to update

Primal Fuel
    Home from Tallahassee. It was a fun trip. Got to spend some good time with my nieces and nephew and my sister. She is going through a mid life crisis. In some ways its good. She has spent the last 13 years (how long she has been married) very rigid, trying to do everything just right, trying not to be like our mother and getting more and more like her. She is finally starting to let go of all of that. But her marriage is in trouble and she is fighting a strong attraction to another man. And she is very depressed. Makes me sad. And of course she doesn't listen to my nutrition advice which frustrates me because I think it would help alot. The kids eat so much horrible junk. Have y'all ever looked at what is in the stands at the super market. It's not just chocolate and gum. It is these horrible concoctions of artificial flavors and chemicals and just nasty nasty stuff. I ended up buying my 7 year old niece Godiva chocolate to keep her from eating some kind of horrible nasty sugar flavored something. I figured if she was going to eat sugar at least Godiva was better than that. I try so hard not to preach but of course I do because I want whats good for them and I don't want them to have the struggles we have had or that my son has had. I think in a lot of ways I am doing penance because I taught my son such a horrible way of living. Though he does seem to be doing better. He has lost weight and his psoriasis is improved. It makes it harder to preach when I am not on course as well. Which is a good reason to get back on course.

My sister and I both started the JUDDD diet yesterday. I screwed up and didn't eat anything until 7 and then was ravenous and ate way too much. I ate way too much today as well of course. Food is a major part of our family celebrations. So I start again tomorrow. I am planning a small green salad w/ EVOO, full fat greek yogurt w/ cinnamon, a scrambled egg and maybe some bacon. Trying to spread it out to keep from hitting yesterdays mistakes. And make sure there is fat so I don't end up starving. I want to start losing again and I want to be healthy. Funny, despite everything I ate today: ham, broccoli salad, fruit, creamed corn, small helping of chicken and dumplings (because oh my gosh chicken and dumplings!) and to top it off banana pudding because I haven't had it since my grandmother died and my cousin made it and some things you just chalk down to you only live once, I am still hungry. (How do you like that sentence? ). I know its because I ate too many carbs and not enough fat and protein. Its been a while since I did that. It is a good reminder.

Blessed Easter to all.
    You know all those things you have always wanted to do? You should go do them.

Nah.. I was always aware "they" were out to get me.. even before I became Primal..... Now I can just run faster if they find me-Dino Hunter

Age 46
    height 5'3
    SW 215 lbs
    CW 180 lbs (whole foods/primal eating)
    LW 172 lbs
    GW 125ish lbs

Katsuhiko the Rolfer is offline Senior Member
    Hi, interesting read on your thread, thought I would add my thoughts.

Firstly, as a therapist I have treated many people with fibromyalgia and my best advice is weight training, heavy, once a week plus rebounding, cycling and stretching/yoga/qi gong - combined with a high fat, moderate protein, very low carb diet. Plus plenty of water, no soda. Also no beans, peas, corn, lentils, chickpeas or any pulses

My advice is to weigh once every 4 to 6 WEEKS, and to commit to staying on your plan for that whole period

50 grams of carbs is OK as long as it's from green veggies and stuff but if you are trying to lose weight really keep that down. Make sure you add fat to everything including your veggies. Grass fed butter is my fat of choice, I toss my greens in it. Add a dab to my steak and in the pan whilst cooking. Good oils are also useful if you like the taste.

Hope to hear good news from you! Best wishes, saved your thread in my favourites so will come back

The point about 4 to 6 week intervals is it really shows if what you are doing is working. Keeping a daily journal of food, exercise and water helps. Don't forget, get lots of fresh air and sleep plenty

Do you mind giving me an idea of what to do w/ the weight training? Free weights? I am clueless! I pretty much eat veggies and meat. There is the whole potato chip addiction but we are working on it. I get a fair amt of fresh air, but sleep is always lousy. I never wake up refreshed and am always tired. I have been this way my entire life. It is so frustrating. I am determined to change that and live the rest of my life with energy. Just not sure how yet I am trying the JUDDD scheme to see if it helps. Everybody promises their idea will work! We will see.

Nah.. I was always aware "they" were out to get me.. even before I became Primal..... Now I can just run faster if they find me-Dino Hunter

Age 46
    height 5'3
    SW 215 lbs
    LW 172 lbs
    GW 125ish lbs

I am very happy to give you as much advice as I can

Re the weight training, I would suggest a bar bell and lots of compound exercises. That is whole body movements. Squatting, pressing the bar over head, cleans, clean and press, the Killer... can send you more by PM. The basic idea is to work your whole body in 30 minutes. Have a nice stretch afterwards, long (30 seconds or more, no bouncing, relax, breathe regularly and normally)

Once a week will be fine. Rest of the week, walk, cycle, stretch, get on a rebounder, get fresh air. Drink plenty of water

With the diet, eat as much nutrient dense food as you can, good meats with good fats, plenty veg and keep those sugars right down, get your carbs from veg. Make your food taste really good, luscious and delicious. Coconut oil is great, will give your brain a boost. Butter from grass fed cows only.

The most important thing is to be consistent with your effort. Keep everything nice and regular and your genes will pick up on the fact you are giving them what they want and you will heal.

Keep your food journal and note how you have been feeling as you go. This is useful info to understand what works.

Can I ask do you have 'hot spots' in your muscles? In your traps, glutes, forearms, quads, hamstrings etc?

Just to be clear I am giving advice to treat your fibromyalgia. I assume you are tired, sleep badly, can't get to sleep, can't feel refreshed after sleep, have general aches and pains all over, get tired when you do simple tasks? How is your mood, are you feeling down?

You mention meat and vegetables but how much fat are you eating?

I am certainly very interested in trying to help you and I'm here if you want to let it all out, by PM if you prefer.

You seem to be making good efforts, so if you can just tweak everything to an optimal state then you could recover to full vibrant health. Getting the sleep sorted will help but we must remember the sleep issues are as much a symptom of the condition and not secondary

As I say, I would not worry about weighing yourself too often. Focus on getting all the bricks in place and getting the healing process under way. Once a month weigh in should be fine.

My number one bit of advice for when you break the primal diet is to shake it off as a minor error and get back on the programme asap

very best wishes, look forward to hearing your progress

Thanks for the advice. I would say yes I am tired, I don't sleep well and life is always a struggle. This week has been really good actually. I started doing the JUDDD diet. I don't know if that is what has made me feel better or what but if things could just continue like this! I have lost 6 lbs. I am still tired but it is manageable. I admit that it would be nice to live a life that is more than manageable. Which sounds like I am whining and I don't mean to. I know I am not exercising enough but I started a second job this week and i am trying to pace myself. I did walk Monday and I do move around alot at work. I do want to add the strength training and more movement however. I know in the past when I have felt good I always overdo it on the exercise so I am very nervous about that, especially right now with trying to start a second job.

So overall things are pretty good right now but I need to keep them that way!

Age 46
    height 5'3
    SW 215 lbs
    LW 172 lbs
    GW 125ish lbs

tomi is offline Senior Member
    take it easy while you're adjusting to the second job - don't push too hard physically.
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

Weight goals:
    Highest weight: 216
    Current weight: 189 (7-16-14)
    Goal weight: 140

I know Tomi. I am trying to really focus on that

Age 46
    height 5'3
    SW 215 lbs
    LW 172 lbs
    GW 125ish lbs

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    Katsuhiko the Rolfer, I hope you don't mind, but I copied your posts to Val and sent them to my MIL. She's been seen at the Mayo Clinic in Minnesota and the University of Iowa for fibro pain and has decided that diet is not going to help her, walking makes her too tired, etc, etc, etc. She's started using illegal substances for pain relief. I have not heard of her talking about heavy weight training as a treatment option, so I shared. She'll probably get annoyed by me and this will drive another wedge between us - things REALLY went downhill regarding our relationship once I found Primal and started suggesting it to her as a treatment. Then once her daughter jumped on board and read the book, all of a sudden MIL was interested and tried it - half heartedly - for about a month and then gave up on it. Tried to convince her to try it again and she said the food was too boring and it didn't help. As a cook at a school, I don't think she ever learned how to actually COOK and relied on manufacturers to cook for her. Every night their dinner (or some part of it) comes from a box. And at this point, I think she enjoys her treatment of choice too much to try anything else - she posted on facebook the other night that a Mayo Clinic study showed that some (not sure if some means quantity or type) alcohol can actually help fibro pain, so she indulged in some beer. Not sure how that worked out for her as she never updated the status, just said she hopes for no migraine.

Anyhow, sorry for the threadjack, Val. I enjoy seeing your progress and your recovery simply b/c I'm trying to learn all I can so I can be helpful to others... sadly the one person I want to help won't accept it. But, I'll keep trying. So, thanks for allowing me the opportunity to learn from you.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

jenn, if I can ever help with the fibro your MIL suffers p-lease PM me

it is not just the weight training, it is the consistent application of the whole wellness agenda in PB - diet, exercise, rest, doing stuff that makes you happy

and Val same goes for you

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    I wish she'd listen, Kats... but since you're from the UK and she knows foreign medicine far advances our (thanks to the worthless FDA), maybe she'll look into weight training.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Page 11 of 26 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast