Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Am I eating too much meat/fat? page

rachelleyrbelle is offline Junior Member

Question Am I eating too much meat/fat?

Shop Now
    Hi all,

I've been into moderate paleo for about 7 months (occasionally eating rice and wheat, though really it was an excuse to not give up sugar), but for the past month I've been very strict and the result is not what I've expected!

Since becoming very strict in my Paleo eating, I've noticed more belly fat (seriously, this thing is poking out). That's really the only consistent physical difference I've noticed, and I also tend to get bloated if I eat too much sugar, which can be as little as 2 clementines on some days.

The one thing I've started eating tons of in the last month is bacon. I eat a BAS for lunch 5 days of the week, and it always contains 1 whole chicken breast and at least 2 strips of bacon, as well as 2 eggs (these things taste amazing together - I also add cilantro an lots of veggies). I also usually will eat eggs at breakfast. Am I OD'ing on saturated fat/protein? Where's this belly fat coming from - is it even belly fat? Could I just be distended from unbalanced nutrition?

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    I eat more than 2 strips of bacon and 2 eggs while cooking most of my meals. I can't see your stomach from here, but I highly doubt the saturated fat is the culprit.

Skrumpy is offline Junior Member
    Hey, well if you are eating more calories than you are burning it will end up as fat (no matter the source of calories). Have you checked to see what your daily caloric intake is and then see what your daily caloric expenditure is? There are a number of different calculators out there if you haven't done that already.

I've been primal for just 2 weeks and I've already dropped 10 pounds (no idea how TBH) eating a lot of eggs, bacon, etc. I'm a bigger guy and do some low level exercise everyday. Are you eating when you are hungry or just eating to eat? I went from eating 5 meals a day to eating when I'm hungry (about 2 times a day). Sometimes I get worried that I haven't been hungry for such a long time that I'll have a little snack. Seems to be working (thus far) for me.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    If your bloated and such I'd blame all the fiber first. Try eating cooked veggies or just lower veggie in general for a few days.

But, if the BAS isn't something thats new to the diet then I'm not so certain.

Zach is offline Banned
    Yes, most likely you are eating more calories from fat then you were from carbs. Fat also has the ability to be stored as body fat much easier then carbs. Also reducing carbs can cause a slowdown in metabolism for a lot of people.

Skrumpy, you weight loss was almost entirely water. It happens to most when transitioning.

Skrumpy is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    Yes, most likely you are eating more calories from fat then you were from carbs. Fat also has the ability to be stored as body fat much easier then carbs. Also reducing carbs can cause a slowdown in metabolism for a lot of people.

Skrumpy, you weight loss was almost entirely water. It happens to most when transitioning.
    I initially thought this as well, but I'm still drinking about the same as I was before going primal (about 8 cups a day). Unless there is some other sort of mechanism that I'm missing that would allow you to still shed water despite consumption staying around the same.

Also fat may be stored more easily than carbs, but you need carbs to help make that true (via insulin production). So I think just making that blanket statement is a little deceptive.

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    Zach is not primal at all, so keep that in mind.

OP it could be too many veg for you, I can't eat too many without feeling crap. Also even too much fruit.
    You will have to experiment and see for yourself.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Skrumpy View Post
    I initially thought this as well, but I'm still drinking about the same as I was before going primal (about 8 cups a day). Unless there is some other sort of mechanism that I'm missing that would allow you to still shed water despite consumption staying around the same.
    You are missing the mecanism that carbs stored as glycogen retains water, the amount of water you drink is irrelevant for that. And for this reason you will also lose waterweight faster on going low carbs and also regain waterweight faster when implementing more carbs to your diet...

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    Also make sure you are only eating when truly hungry, even if that means you skip a meal here and there
    Do you have much weight to lose?

EagleRiverDee is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Skrumpy View Post
    It's not the fluid intake that causes your body to retain water. Sodium and carb intake can effect you "water weight". Sodium is well known for causing people to retain fluids. Carb intake is converted to glycogen and stored in the body- and glycogen requires water for the storage. Your liver alone can store up to 5 lbs of glycogen. That's why so many people lose very rapidly in the first week of going low carb- they're dropping water weight as their body consumes it's stored glycogen.
    High Weight: 225
    Weight at start of Primal: 189
    Current Weight: 174
    Goal Weight: 130

Primal Start Date: 11/26/2012

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast