Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whole 30? Leptin reset? page

Catrin is offline Senior Member

Whole 30? Leptin reset?

Shop Now
    I KNOW something is off in my diet, but can't figure it out. I get ~1800 calories most days, ~50-60% fat, 30-40% protein, the rest in carbs. Carbs typically <80 grams - and I am very active. That activity level isn't changing so I need enough nutrition/calories to support that activity level.

The problem is my weight is stuck, and I am gaining body fat - not much but I am. Weight has been stuck since November.... I am 5'3, currently weigh 128. I want to be 10 pounds smaller and drop about 5% body fat (currently 31.1% according to my most recent Bod Pod assessment the other day) I suppose it is possible that I am not getting enough carbs - but how would that make me gain body fat?

My diet is solid, it couldn't be cleaner. The only thing non-Paleo about it is I put cream in my coffee. Cheese, perhaps twice a month, I go between butter and ghee but I don't eat large amounts of either. While not a strict Paleo diet, it certainly is Primal.

So I am trying to decide if I should try a Whole30 for a re-set, or if I should try a leptin reset. The problem with the latter is I start out two mornings a week with a VERY intense group workout (which isn't changing), and I am pretty sure I would throw up if I tried to eat 50 grams of protein beforehand. I still have a substantial brekkie (around 400 calories, ~35 grams of protein, etc) on mornings that I start with a workout, and dial it back a bit on rest days.

I was consuming more fat (~70%), but my weight was stuck then as well - though I wasn't gaining body-fat). It is the BF % rising that has me a bit concerned... I am working with my trainer to build muscle/change my composition and he didn't think I was getting enough protein. He knows his stuff, and is Paleo/Primal himself. Of course I had to dial back on the fat a bit when I raised my protein %.

Thoughts anyone?

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    You could try a whole 30.

But how long has it been. You need to give it 3-6 months without changing anything first, and then see what happens.

Ripped is offline Senior Member
    Want to know what's off with your diet? You're eating too many calories. Fat gain can't happen unless you eat too much. Leptin has nothing to do with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ripped View Post
    Want to know what's off with your diet? You're eating too many calories. Fat gain can't happen unless you eat too much. Leptin has nothing to do with it.
    That is not true.
    There have been plenty of posters recently who were eating very little, and still not losing.

Catrin is offline Senior Member
    I am certainly not eating too much, my resting metabolic rate has been tested and my caloric intake is getting close to being TOO low - I am extremely active. I certainly won't be cutting calories. I've lost about 7 pounds since going primal in July and I was eating more calories those first few months...hmmm

It is also possible that it has nothing to do with my diet and is sleep/stress/hormone related. I just want to make certain that I've done all I need to do in the diet realm.

Yes its all to do with stress and sleep also.
    Have you read Marks book?

Id try no dairy and less fruit first, and then see how you go Just making sure you are eating enough fats.
    I am ok with small amounts of dairy, but if I go over, I stop losing, same with fruit.
    Its all a bit of an experiment.
    Good luck

There are some of us in the Eat Moar Fat thread, that had more success at 70-80% fat, lower gave no results.
    But in saying that I wouldn't tweak too much until its been a bit longer.

Quote Originally Posted by Ayla2010 View Post
    That is not true.
    There have been plenty of posters recently who were eating very little, and still not losing.
    I used to believe in fairy tales like that back in the old days when I was obese.

Well its true for some, I don't know why, I don't have an explanation.

Quote Originally Posted by Catrin View Post
    I am certainly not eating too much, my resting metabolic rate has been tested and my caloric intake is getting close to being TOO low - I am extremely active. I certainly won't be cutting calories. I've lost about 7 pounds since going primal in July and I was eating more calories those first few months...hmmm
    This should be expected. Body fat requires energy to stay alive. This is why it is inevitable that one's resting metabolism decreases as they lose weight. I noticed this when I got fatter, then later on when I got leaner. After gaining 20 lbs, it seemed that I wouldn't gain any weight after the 220 lbs mark. After that, the first 15 lbs dropped by simply dropping the carbs. After that, I had to drop calories. Eventually I had to drop calories even further in order to drop down to under 180 lbs. Now days I maintain weight at around 175 lbs and 10% body fat rather easily, as long as I know better not to go too high on the calories. I can and do have some days where I might go as high as 3000 calories, but that's not every day. Most days I'm around 2000, and I'll also have many other days where I go well under that.

This is why I find it incredibly hard to believe that 1800 calories is too low for you being only 5'3". I'm a strong and muscular 5'9" man and on average I probably only eat 2000 calories per day.

To give you another good example, look up pics of Drew Baye:
    https://www.google.com/search?q=drew...MYbr0QHU3YD4Dg
    In those pics on top where he's real skinny and shredded to the bone, he was about 155 lbs at the time. To cut for that contest that he did, he said he started off at around 1600 calories per day, tried 1200 per day for a while but it wasn't enough, so he went back up to I think 1400 to finish off his cut.

That's why I highly doubt you're not eating enough. If people can safely fast for a few days without any trouble, there's no reason why you wouldn't be able to drop your calories down a little. And for the record, I've been known to fast for up to a few days from time to time, and even did a 4 day fast once, and it didn't do me any harm. In fact, it only did me well, helped me drop a few lbs, and left me feeling more energetic after the fast was complete.

Quote Originally Posted by Catrin View Post
    It is also possible that it has nothing to do with my diet and is sleep/stress/hormone related. I just want to make certain that I've done all I need to do in the diet realm.
    I highly doubt it. Fat loss is a lot easier than you think.

Hormones get out of whack when you aren't in the right shape. But that doesn't change the 2nd law of thermodynamics, nothing can.

Let's look at insulin for example:
    Insulin is associated with obesity. But what caused insulin to be so high in the first place? Eating too much.

How about leptin?:
    Leptin is usually a problem with obese people. But the problem isn't that they don't have enough. The problem is that they have WAY too much. Body fat produces leptin. Too much leptin causes leptin resistance. Leptin resistance means you're always hungry and you don't know why. The only solution is to eat less and/or exercise more, until the fat goes away, leptin resistance diminishes, and feelings of fullness and satiety become regular again.

Where we have problems with leptin on the opposite end of the spectrum is when someone doesn't have enough leptin. How does that happen? It typically happens from having not enough body fat and/or crash dieting way too hard for way too long to the point where it feels like you are starving.

There's a lot to be said about that, but I'll sum it up as follows. For the most part, as long as you aren't a bodybuilder in contest shape and you didn't just finish competing in the big loser show, chances are that low leptin isn't an issue.

Here's a tip I can give you on this whole thing:
    I'm a big believer in comfortability, fast results, and long term maintenance. That's just the way I've always done it. I'll drop 5-10 lbs in several weeks, when I feel I've got it in me to do so, and then I stop and maintain. When I do it, I'll insert some very low calorie days when I can, fast when I can, and even include some high calorie days when I want to as well. It's all about comfortability and what you can do.

And that's a way I think you can do it too, without having to worry so much about hormones and all. It isn't necessary. Instead, when you can, push yourself for several weeks and drop as much as you can, say 5-10 lbs. Then take a break and maintain for a while.

It can take longer doing it the way I explain, but the results can be rewarding in the long run. Because you maintain it for life, and show continued improvements year after year. My first year I lost, 20 lbs, zero the second year, about 15 the third year, and 10 the fourth year, something like that.

My way surely beats trying to lose say 1-2 lbs per week strictly for endless weeks. It's a lot easier than that, because it's not as strict. It also beats losing 50 lbs real quick only to gain it all back in 6 months. I don't do it that way. I keep it off for life.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast