Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Whole 30? Leptin reset? page 2

Catrin is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I've lost over 100 pounds in total. The 1800 calories comes from my most recent resting metabolic rate (they actually want me to consume ~2,100 calories daily) and I've a VERY intense workout/activity schedule so I need to have enough energy for that. I can mix the calories up on my rest days though, as long as I get enough protein... Between weights, metabolic/functional training, road cycling, mountain biking and hiking I am a very active 53-year old

I've already decided to cut out all dairy and fruit for a couple of weeks, and cut back to ~1500 calories on rest days only and see what happens. I am SO close to my desired weight but am more concerned about dropping my body fat % WITHOUT losing muscle and hoping to gain muscle. I've been able to do both at the same time in the past year but it isn't easy.

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Catrin View Post
    I've lost over 100 pounds in total. The 1800 calories comes from my most recent resting metabolic rate (they actually want me to consume ~2,100 calories daily) and I've a VERY intense workout/activity schedule so I need to have enough energy for that. I can mix the calories up on my rest days though, as long as I get enough protein... Between weights, metabolic/functional training, road cycling, mountain biking and hiking I am a very active 53-year old

I've already decided to cut out all dairy and fruit for a couple of weeks, and cut back to ~1500 calories on rest days only and see what happens. I am SO close to my desired weight but am more concerned about dropping my body fat % WITHOUT losing muscle and hoping to gain muscle. I've been able to do both at the same time in the past year but it isn't easy.
    Wow that is a great loss, way to go. Is that all from primal?
    Good luck getting to your goal. Dairy and fruit may just be the way to go, see how you feel

Quote Originally Posted by Ayla2010 View Post
    Wow that is a great loss, way to go. Is that all from primal?
    Good luck getting to your goal. Dairy and fruit may just be the way to go, see how you feel
    No, all but the last 7 pounds was from the CW approach, and I was maintaining fine that way, but I had been on a maddening 1+year plateau. I went primal to address some digestive problems - and it worked Reading Mark's book last summer on the advice of my trainer was an eye-opener!

After thinking about it, it is possible that I've some sensitivities that haven't yet been discovered. I've downloaded "It Starts With Food" to my Nook, and once I've read it I am going to do a Whole30. It certainly won't hurt me and I just might learn more about how MY body works. I eat far more fruit than dairy (not much of either), so will likely just cut out the fructose for now and keep my 2 cups of morning coffee with cream for a bit longer. If I see a change then I will know it was the fruit

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    A whole 30 def won't hurt you You should then know which foods you are sensitive too.
    I just may join you as I have a few things I am trying to work out myself.

I do seem to lose faster without coffee and cream, dunno why exactly, and I eat very little fruit currently, as it sets me up for more sugar cravings.

Maybe start a journal to document your whole 30, will be interesting to read

I am going to read the book before I start it, but it is already on my Nook. I will certainly start a Whole 30 journal here and am looking forward to seeing how it goes and what I learn from it!

Ripped is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Catrin View Post

Congrats on your success!!!

How long did it take for you to lose the 100 lbs?

I don't think you have to worry at all about muscle loss, as long as you continue to train hard.

However, I didn't realize about your history. And that's the only thing that concerns me. I wouldn't want to see you have lost the fat too fast only to gain a good amount back. A lot of that is mental.

And that's why I highly recommend periods of maintenance after periods of success. But I also think getting over the mental hurdles of eating less and being flexible and not being afraid of food helps a lot too. Why? It's partially related to the idea of going 80/20.

The idea is for you to know every method for calorie reduction at all times, and use it as a tool. That way you can be as flexible as you want and not have to be afraid of food anymore. If I want to go out on a hot date and eat what I want, I'll skip all meals that day prior to dinner. The same goes for holidays. If I have any days where I eat more, I can always make up for it by fasting or inserting days where I eat less calories.

Oh, it took me years to loose that weight. The last 60 pounds came off about 2.5 years ago - and indeed I've reversed diabetes 2 over the last 3 years. My A1C has been perfect for over 2 years now Over the last year I've only lost 10 pounds and that was at a very slow rate. I am VERY active and I am more concerned that my body has the energy it needs when it needs it Going primal was more about taking care of some physical issues than weight loss.

I use some of those same techniques, I will eat less on days when I know that I am going out for a meal, or on rest days (depending on how much lifting I did the day before). IF doesn't work for me, so I don't go there.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12