Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My boyfriend actually requested liver for dinner page

sbhikes is offline Senior Member

My boyfriend actually requested liver for dinner

Shop Now
    If any of you know my story of my non-primal (actually more like anti-primal) boyfriend, you may find this as shocking as I did. Last night I was set to make a "lite" salmon dinner as usual and then my boyfriend suggested I make liver and that he would actually eat some. I was so shocked I could not believe it. He's Mr. CW, afraid of red meat, squeamish of most things, loves his grains and sugar (although strangely there is a lot less of it in the house than there used to be) and has been outright ANGRY with me at times for my food choices. I heated up leftover noodles just in case he didn't like the liver. I told him it won't offend me if he decides he doesn't like the liver or can't finish it. I gave him a way bigger piece than he wanted. He ate the whole thing and now he says he likes liver.

I've been eating this way since August 2011. If you have a non-primal spouse, patience is your friend.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 190 x 3

MissJecka is offline Senior Member
    This is great for me to read! Although my boyfriend likes nearly every kind of meat and poultry, he won't touch fish and organs scare him. He's Mr. CW as well - his favorite foods are pasta, pizza, waffles, and granola bars. He gets embarrassed at times when I order a hamburger without the bun, or swap a side of pasta for a side of steamed veggies.

I'd love to see what changes are in store for him!
    >> Current Stats: 90% Primal / 143 lbs / ~25% BF
    >> Goal (by 1 Jan 2014): 90% Primal / 135-ish pounds / 20-22% BF

>> Upcoming Fitness Feats: Tough Mudder, June 2013
    >> Check out my super-exciting journal by clicking these words.

Weight does NOT equal health -- ditch the scale, don't be a slave to it!

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I've been eating this way since August 2011. If you have a non-primal spouse, patience is your friend.
    +1.

I've been eating Primal since around January of 2009. My then-girlfriend and now-wife didn't follow suit until January 2012, after reading the introduction to "Everyday Paleo" by Sarah Fragoso. I never tried to force her to eat the way I do, but had been making gentle suggestions and made my disapproval of stuff like frozen pizza and breakfast cereals known. But she had to read Mrs. Frasgoso's reasoning to convince her to at least give it a shot. She has stuck with it like a champ since then.

I am not sure she will ever request liver though. She still never eats "yucky" foods like sauerkraut, sardines, offal or even non-traditional cuts of muscle meat like oxtails and neck bones. Maybe I need to find a blog post by Sarah about the virtues of these "yucky" foods, haha.
    Last edited by yodiewan; 02-05-2013 at 09:21 AM.

Mike in Virginia is offline Senior Member
    I'm mostly very fortunate with respect to my fiancee's eating preferences. She has loved every meal I've cooked for her (all primal), including oxtail stew, liver, sauerkraut, etc. After our wedding next month, I will be the primary cook in our household, and it will be primal all the way. She understands that and has no problem with it.

On the other hand, she does like her whole grains, especially breakfast cereal, and milk chocolate. Our little understanding is that she's welcome to have them, but they won't come from me. I'm hoping she will eventually convert to a completely primal WOE, but along the way patience is the key, along with respecting her choices.
    Live your life and love your life. It's the only one you get.

OneDeltaTenTango is offline Senior Member
    Good deal.

On a related note, I made Pate de Campagne from a Julia Childs recipe over the weekend and tucked into it for lunch and dinner yesterday. I am stunned at how well and authentic it turned out. So far my favorite way to enjoy liver.

Stratford_Man is offline Junior Member
    I tried liver for the first time in probably 20 years last night...and I think I'm starting to acquire a taste for it. My mother will be surprised.

Turnstone is offline Senior Member
    Here it was the other way. My non-primal husband loves liver, and I couldn't stand it. Now, after starting to eat primal, we try to eat liver at least once a month. The first time I had problems just getting it down, but now I can eat it without problems. Still not my favorite meal though

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    sb that is a real milestone for you and your bf. congrats and thanks for the encouragement.

My dh eats what I serve him but has not shown any interest whatsoever in why I eat the way I do or in trying to do anything for his own health (despite what I regard as scary cholesterol results, he ignores them).

I don't even discuss it with him, but friends we hadn't seen for a year were asking me about it and he was trying to change the subject. They thought he didn't want me pressing it on them, but really it was only making him uncomfortable, they were genuinely interested.

Despite his lack of interest or application, I still see improvements in him, namely less snoring. He hadn't even noticed.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I was pretty flabbergasted at the request.

You see, my boyfriend is the kind of person who has to be right. He has dug in so hard against my crazy ideas that he can't save face and change his mind. So I don't push him anymore. But if I look around, there is hard, thin-sliced European brown bread in the refrigerator and not bagels, there are more nuts and no more Doritos and M&Ms in the cupboard. Now liver? Even after he told me he read another study about the evils of red meat? Wow.

I kinda wonder if my strength training is what impressed him. I mean he can't stop talking about how hard I was able to work on our trail maintenance trip this weekend. He can't believe the upper body strength I had to saw and throw trees over the side. That's a real change you can't ignore. Maybe he thinks there might be something to all this craziness I am doing. First I eat different and lose a little weight, then I'm throwing trees over the side of the trail like I'm 20 years younger and male (well, almost). Maybe it's all accumulating into a story he can't help but believe. We'll see what happens.

He did bring home a package of flour tortillas yesterday, so he's not on board, just not so adamantly opposed.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 190 x 3

AliceAnne is offline Member
    I think we have the same BF:

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    You see, my boyfriend is the kind of person who has to be right. He has dug in so hard against my crazy ideas that he can't save face and change his mind.
    Mine also requested I make liver last week. I just about fell over in the grocery store! I've been wanting to try it and bookmarked ways to introduce it without it being just a slab of liver on the plate (which is what he wants! LOL).
    "Quit waiting for everything to be perfect. You have everything you need right now." - makingthingshappen.com

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/member82937.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast