Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Carbs to balance hormones, how much? page 2

Mireia is offline Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by meeshar View Post
    I crave carbs during hormonal fluctuations (ovulation, premenstrual) and listen to my body--this seems to help with the PMS symptoms and fatigue the most. So while I'm trying to lose weight, I do allow white rice and potatoes (in moderation, 1 or 2 meals usually) during those times, and so far it doesn't seem to hurt my weight loss unless I totally overdo it and binge.

Your hair loss is probably telogen effluvium, which is not something you're going to see improvement on immediately. It's in the past--hair cycles are roughly 3 months, so whatever caused your hair loss was 3 months ago. It will grow back. Telogen Effluvium - Why, When, and How

If you don't mind me asking, are you on any kind of hormonal birth control?
    Yes, I know about the growth cycle and that hormones need about 3 months to settle too. Inam not expecting it to stop right this moment, I just want to make sure a too low carb intake won't prolong the hair loss. All in all it has been going on for too long now and I have regrowth that is falling out again. So my guess is I must have made a few mistakes that caused mento shed more than once.

Mireia is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    Hey Mireia,

I think I know where you're coming from. I recently reached saturation point with all the conflicting science about food and diet. I'd made mistakes off the back of "science", so I decided that the safest option was to aim for a 33:33:33 macro split, eliminating stuff that I am pretty sure is bad for me (gluten, soya, veg oils). I figured at least if I aim for moderation I've got the least chance of damaging myself, ha.

After a few weeks though I started to count my macros and I realised that I had naturally gravitated towards a higher carb diet (apart from when I'm eating a lot of Greek yogurt :P).

I know you've got a thyroid condition and there is a set of advice that goes with that, but personally I think that stressing about your macros is probably more damaging that what you eat. I would aim for moderation and see where you naturally gravitate to.
    Yes exactly! I would learn something that is supposedly really good, just to find out it can cause problems. Finding the balance is really hard I agree. During my low carb days, most of my calories would come from raw butter. But with 81% of fat, and only 12% of carbs it was not balanced.

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Are you eating liver, eggs, and/or bivalves? In other words are your getting enough biotin, choline and other goodies not quite as prevalent in other meats.

Deficiency in either can lead to some of the symptoms your presenting including stress to the liver and loss of hair. The more fats your diet includes the more choline your liver requires (actually this goes for fructose too). Biotin deficiencies show as hair loss among other symptoms like dermatitis. So if you are relying solely on muscle meat it could be your a bit low in these.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 02-05-2013 at 12:22 PM.

Mireia is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    It took me 8+ years and im just recently perfecting it.

Sorry to say there are no straight forward answers.

As for your question about carbs, there is no limit really. Some people here will have you believe that you only should ingest enough to fuel your activity level, some say that carbs cause disease. Really though most people around the world eat about half their calories from carbs and have a thousands of years so really its not carbs causing disease. Personally i stand by my original advice to up your carb intake and reduce your protein and fat. Stick to easily digestible foods, keep your fat mostly saturated, dont skip meals, stay clear of any foods that cause issues, be liberal with sodium and most of all get lots of rest and reduce stress.
    I understand, but that even Paleo Dieters disagree on so many things is confusing. Since going back on carbs I actually have trouble digesting them. I was told it could be SIBO? Not sure though. All I know is i get really bloated.

Mireia is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Are you eating liver, eggs, and/or bivalves? In other words are your getting enough biotin, choline and other goodies not quite as prevalent in other meats.

Deficiency in either can lead to some of the symptoms your presenting including stress to the liver and loss of hair. The more fats your diet includes the more choline your liver requires (actually this goes for fructose too). Biotin deficiencies show as hair loss among other symptoms like dermatitis. So if you are relying solely on muscle meat it could be your a bit low in these.
    I am eating eggs, about 3-4 a day. No liver yet, but I recently ordered some. What are/ is bivalves?

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Maybe you should start by eating as if you didn't know what carbs were. Eat real foods, avoid the bad grains and bad seed oils, but otherwise don't worry about how many grams or whether or not it's a white potato or a half a cup of rice or a piece of fruit. Spend some time just eating real, healthy primal foods in whatever quantities make you feel satisfied and healthy, then let your body normalize its hormones, then worry about whatever comes next for you, whether that's weight loss or fitness or what.
    I think this is the best advice. Try not to stress too much.

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mireia View Post
    I am eating eggs, about 3-4 a day. No liver yet, but I recently ordered some. What are/ is bivalves?
    Oysters, mussels, clams...ect. Good for many of the same things you find in liver along with a good supply of minerals not usually in meats from land animals.

oxide is online now Senior Member
    90 grams of carbs is still not all that high. I don't have kids so I don't know this, but ISTM that breast feeding requires energy just as if you were exercising. Mark's carb curve allows up to 150g, doesn't it? You could probably eat more carbs and be fine as long as you avoid the bad oils and the wheat and corn. If you want to find your limit, you could carb up until you gain a little weight, and then stay below that level.

You know, lately I've been binging on sugar -- quite badly, in fact. Yet I don't seem to be gaining any weight. Or, it seems that the exact moment I gain a pound, I just get tired of the sugar and go back to eating primally again and lose the pound. The up and down cycle takes about a week. I can't figure out what's going on.
    5'0" female, 43 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Current weight: skinny-fat 106.5 lbs because of sugar cheating.

MY PRIMAL: I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I aim for 80-90 g carb/day and advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and other need to tweak Primal to their own needs.

Zach is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by oxide View Post
    90 grams of carbs is still not all that high. I don't have kids so I don't know this, but ISTM that breast feeding requires energy just as if you were exercising. Mark's carb curve allows up to 150g, doesn't it? You could probably eat more carbs and be fine as long as you avoid the bad oils and the wheat and corn. If you want to find your limit, you could carb up until you gain a little weight, and then stay below that level.

You know, lately I've been binging on sugar -- quite badly, in fact. Yet I don't seem to be gaining any weight. Or, it seems that the exact moment I gain a pound, I just get tired of the sugar and go back to eating primally again and lose the pound. The up and down cycle takes about a week. I can't figure out what's going on.
    Ahhh, good to see one of my biggest detractors coming to the dark side.

Sugar, its good for what ails ya!

Mireia is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayla2010 View Post
    I think this is the best advice. Try not to stress too much.
    I am not all that stressed actually sorry if I come across this way. I am determined to get it right because last time I did not watch it I slid into low carb without knowing I was eating low carb. I did not know a thing about carbs. Some days I ate as little as 20g of carbs. I felt bad, but I did not know what was causing it.
    I eant to make sure I don't make that mistake again.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast