Thread: Help please, brain fog and gut issues. page

Maria12 is offline Junior Member

Help please, brain fog and gut issues.

Primal Fuel
    Hi there, I am very new to Mark's Daily Apple forums so please excuse my probable lack of knowledge.

I am here because I am starting to feel quite desperate. I have been suffering from brain fog and poor memory for several years now which I believe has had a pretty significant impact upon my life and delayed my very few and far between accomplishments. I have a lot of trouble memorising new information unless it's part of a routine I partake in very regularly (like anything related to my work which is easy to memorise anyway), which does bother me a lot because I am an enthusiastic learner, I just have trouble actually REMEMBERING almost all of the specific details of what I have learnt. I recall the general 'gist' of information, and usually have trouble relaying that information to other people because it's difficult to think on my feet and put sentences together. I also feel far more apathetic than I did when I was a young teenager (I'm 22 now) and feel as though the past several years are just a blur which has flown past me.

A brief description of some relevant history:

I was bulimic for approximately 2 years as a teenager (have not relapsed since then and have absolutely no urge to). I was also, idiotically, a junk food vegetarian for approximately 5 years starting when I was 16 (for 2 of those years I was also a junk food vegan - relied on many supplements during this time). I have been on several courses of antibiotics which have mainly been short term (I experienced recurrent urinary tract infections during my 2 years of veganism), except for one long term course which if I can recall correctly lasted for about 1 year which was prescribed for acne.

Since I started eating red meat and seafood, drastically cutting my consumption of grains and most dairy, and upping my green leafy vegetable intake my brain fog has improved - but only slightly. I have seen observed other benefits such as reduced fatigue, less mood swings, less anxiety and clearer skin - but my brain fog is the issue which plagues me the most. I was wondering if those years of poor dieting, ED and antibiotic use could have had a dramatic impact upon the health of my gut and thence my brain... and also if I could be provided with some suggestions of what I can do to help myself heal faster.

Thank you for reading.

tiva is offline Junior Member
    I found that my brain fog vanished when I completely eliminated grains and sugar (and most carbs, but I'm not sure whether that's related) and increased my omega 3 fatty acids. "Drastic reductions" wouldn't have worked in my case, so perhaps that's why you're not seeing more relief. For several weeks, you might try 100% (not 99%) elimination of grains and sugars, along with a significant increase in fatty fish and coconut oil.

Good luck!

Maria12 is offline Junior Member
    Thanks a lot Tiva, I do regularly take a fish oil supplement which has helped. I have attempted low carb before but it was difficult to maintain due to a lack of energy - but I probably need to focus on eating more good fats. I guess I was wondering more specifically if anyone has had success in treating brain fog and/or memory issues by targeting their digestive health (such as taking digestive enzymes, probiotics and consuming bone broth regularly)

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Maria12 View Post
    Thanks a lot Tiva, I do regularly take a fish oil supplement which has helped. I have attempted low carb before but it was difficult to maintain due to a lack of energy - but I probably need to focus on eating more good fats. I guess I was wondering more specifically if anyone has had success in treating brain fog and/or memory issues by targeting their digestive health (such as taking digestive enzymes, probiotics and consuming bone broth regularly)
    I had brain fog as part of carb flu when I started PB. It lasted about 2 weeks. But really, you have to get rid of ALL grain, and really up the fats. You probably have some resistance to upping fats at first. Use a tracker such as paleotrack.com at least for a week or 2 to see how you're doin.