Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mayo? Yeah or Na page

Jenl is offline Junior Member

Mayo? Yeah or Na

Primal Fuel
    Hi all,

I am new to launching on the adventure of going primal and I have a quick question. Is Mayonnaise ok or should I steer clear?

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    Depends on the ingredients. If you make it yourself, using eggs, olive oil, lemon juice, salt, then it's fine.

I would stay the hell away from store bought mayonnaise unless you plan on making it your 20%.

Ingredient list of a popular store-bought mayonnaise: SOYBEAN OIL, WATER, WHOLE EGGS AND EGG YOLKS, VINEGAR, SALT, SUGAR, LEMON JUICE, CALCIUM DISODIUM EDTA, NATURAL FLAVORS.

Nooooooo....
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Greenbeast is offline Senior Member
    eggs and oil, what's to argue with?

edit: as above, that's homemade stuff i'm talking about

14emom is offline Member
    I make my own and it is delicious.

Zeera is offline Senior Member
    Definitely avoid any store bought mayo. It's easy enough to make on your own if you have a food processor or immersion blender. It might take you some time to get used to the different flavor of the homemade mayo, but eventually you will lose your taste for the store bought stuff.

healthy11 is offline Senior Member
    I make my own, but have found I like to substitute sour cream for mayo in most things ... it's a lot easier.

meeshar is offline Senior Member
    One of the very few non-Primal things lingering in my house is mayo. I use the olive oil kind, but it still has some soybean oil in it. I consider it my 20%, but I do need to get into the habit of making my own. I don't use mayo that often anyway, occasionally I plop a bit into dips/dressings to mellow out the sour cream or yogurt tang a bit. I've found that using avocado in tuna/chicken salads is much tastier, and I don't do sandwiches very often anymore since making paleo/primal bread is an event. Once this jar is gone, it stays gone.

Graycat is online now Senior Member
    It's easy to make mayo. Olive oil - make sure it's not the strong flavor extra virgin kind, egg, egg yolk, lemon juice and Dijon mustard.

The store bought kind, definitely a no no. I have seen Spectrum offering mayo made with canola oil, which is definitely not Primal but still a step up from soy bean. I have no idea if it's any good taste wise though.

Greenbeast is offline Senior Member
    ah mustard! that's what i'm missing!

Made mayo three times so far and yes it's a different taste to storebought (less sweet by far!) but it still feels like it's missing something. I will try mustard next time.

bdlee73 is offline Member
    I have had a hard time giving up store mayo - I still like mixing it with canned tuna. When the price is right I try to only use Hain's Safflower Maya. The ingredients profile doesn't look too bad: Hain Safflower Mayonnaise (12 fl oz)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast