Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mayo? Yeah or Na page 2

bdlee73 is offline Member
    I have had a hard time giving up store mayo - I still like mixing it with canned tuna. When the price is right I try to only use Hain's Safflower Mayo through right now I have WF brand Canola Maya. The ingredients profile doesn't look too bad: Hain Safflower Mayonnaise (12 fl oz) ....but then I searched the sight and read that Safflower oil may not be so good.....so cross that off the list!

AshleyL is offline Senior Member
    I use vegenaise, the type made from grapeseed. It's not perfect but it's tasty and no canola or soy that way.

JennGlob is offline Senior Member
    I use Greek yogurt and sour cream in tuna salad. The kids don't even notice.
    Primal since 4/7/2012

Starting weight 140
    Current weigh 126

www.jenniferglobensky.blogspot.com

Jennifer

Ghshl is online now Senior Member
    The one I use is made with rapeseed oil. It's probably not the best, but I've tried making mayo with olive oil and it tasted horrible. I've never seen any 'light' olive oil in stores here to try with.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Avocado oil makes a light tasting mayo. Adding garlic powder gives it a zip.

Store bought should be part of your 20. Mayo was one of the last processed foods I gave up. It was easier once I stopped eating canned tuna because the price of tuna with no soy in bpa free cans just doesn't seem worth it for pre-cooked dried out fish.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    I don't trust the extra light olive oil to actually be real olive oil so when I have mayo, I have the real CW stuff, Best Foods, soybean or canola oil be damned. I have it so rarely that I think it's okay. I stick to mustard for daily use.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

banananutmuffin is offline Senior Member
    I don't use mayo often, but I do use it every once in a while. Whenever I use it in something I try to make it half/half (half mayo, half olive oil). Works fine in things like deviled eggs.

I tried once to make my own mayo and it was a dismal fail. I couldn't bring myself to waste the eggs and olive oil for another attempt.

Most of the time I use a mayo from Wilderness Family Naturals. It's *almost* paleo except for a minimal amount of sugar. I use mayo so infrequently and use so little of it at a time that I figure this was good enough. It doesn't taste exactly like mayo--has a coconut oil undertone--but it's pretty good. It's also expensive.

Here are the ingredients:

Certified Organic, (Raw) Centrifuged Extra Virgin Olive Oil
    Certified Organic, (Raw) Unrefined Sesame Seed Oil
    Certified Organic, (Raw) Centrifuged Extra Virgin Coconut Oil
    Certified Organic, Eggs
    Certified Organic, Vinegar
    Certified Organic, Spices (Ground Mustard, Garlic, Onion & Paprika)
    Certified Organic, Evaporated Cane Juice
    Sea Salt
    Female, 40 yrs old, 5', 120 lbs (post-pregnancy)
    Went Primal January 2, 2012!

Paleo Cooking for Cavekids cookbook

14emom is offline Member
    When I make my mayo, I put some whey in it, sit it on the counter for 7 hours, and it ends up lasting 5 weeks in the fridge.

Wulf is offline Senior Member
    for those of you that tried to make their own mayo with olive oil, there is something about its phytochemicals that causes it to be bitter if over-blended, so just avoid using it for mayo, at least the extra virgin kind

BUT, you can use any paleo fat you have to make mayo, such as bacon grease or beef fat, as long as you melt it first so that it is liquid

and the easiest way by far to prep own mayo is with a handheld blender - put egg, acid (vinegar or lemon juice), maybe some mustard, salt, any seasonings you like in the bottom of a narrow glass (like the one that came with the blender); then pour the fat on top, immerse the blender to the bottom, start blending and hold it at the bottom till it starts looking whitish/blended, then slowly bring the blender up while you blend to emulsify the rest of the fat, and done in about a minute. (the mustard and the egg yolk both contain emulsifiers, I believe you can use either or, or both). there is a bit of an art to it, but it's actually pretty easy and super tasty.

homemade mayo makes killer salad dressing; I save and use the bacon grease off my stuffed jalapenos... killer

14emom is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    The bacon grease sounds awesome!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast