Thread: Whey protein page

Runner is offline Member

Whey protein

Shop Now
    I've been told in the past (not by paleo dieters) that the isolate was the good one, but it seems that in our community people tend to prefer the concentrate if they happen to use any at all. Why this is so?

More generally, how do you view whey protein powder supplements?

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    can't you just eat some eggs or meat?
    I don't see the point to it myself.

Shadowknight137 is offline Senior Member
    @Ayla: Good, quick source of pure protein. It's got a good protein:calorie ratio, and is comparatively cheaper per serving than most meats - offal excluded.

Runner, I believe Isolate is better on lactose intolerant. I myself am 100% fine on using protein powder as an easy protein boost post workout (if Ihaven't bothered too cook anything/ have leftovers) or if my protein for the day is lagging.

itchy166 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayla2010 View Post
    can't you just eat some eggs or meat?
    I don't see the point to it myself.
    Work camps don't cook to order, and on nights where they've only cooked crap, I'm thankful that I have my protein powder and canned fish with me.

I mix whey isolate with casein 50/50. I try to buy organic, and I avoid soy, sugar, sucralose, etc if I can. I mix protein with coconut milk as a full meal replacement when I have no access to (real) Primal food.
    "It's a great life, if you don't weaken.". John Buchan

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by itchy166 View Post
    Work camps don't cook to order, and on nights where they've only cooked crap, I'm thankful that I have my protein powder and canned fish with me.

I mix whey isolate with casein 50/50. I try to buy organic, and I avoid soy, sugar, sucralose, etc if I can. I mix protein with coconut milk as a full meal replacement when I have no access to (real) Primal food.
    I see, damn
    I guess whey protein will have to do

Betorq is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by itchy166 View Post

If I have to leave and get an early start to my work day, post-morning workout, whey & berries blended together & in a thermos, is for me, sometimes the perfect quick breakfast for protein, amino acids & glucose needed to restore both depleted liver glycogen as well as muscle glycogen, as I workout, usually, in a fasted state. It's not very filling like a meat & eggs breakfast, but the science backs it up as being "gud fer ya" post-workout.

How to Restore Glycogen: 7 steps - wikiHow
    wikiHow - How to do anything › ... › HealthConditions and Treatments
    Once glycogen is created, it is stored in the liver and the muscle tissue. ... It can become quickly depleted during exercise, illness or with certain dieting habits. ... Studies have shown whey and milk proteins to be the best for muscle recovery.
    Last edited by Betorq; 02-05-2013 at 02:12 AM.
    "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
    "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
    "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown

PaleoBlog is offline Junior Member
    Any thoughts on using say an egg-white protein powder versus a whey-isolate?

Looking at a few option on TrueNutrition.com. They even have a beef-protein powder. I'm wondering what the best option is. Thanks!

itchy166 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayla2010 View Post
    I see, damn
    I guess whey protein will have to do
    But when I'm home, steak it is
    "It's a great life, if you don't weaken.". John Buchan