Thread: HIIT vs Sprints page

Kimmers_SSM is offline Junior Member

HIIT vs Sprints

Shop Now
    Hey all,

I'm wondering if someone can clarify the difference between sprints and HIIT for me. I have been looking through past articles, and one outlined a training week which included one sprint day, and one HIIT day. I'm not sure what the difference is... I would have thought that sprinting is high intensity interval training.

Any insights? Thanks!

Scott F is offline Senior Member
    Basically they are the same metabolically, or they can be. The goal in sprints is to get the heart rate up to max from the sprint and then give a short rest period. Well, you can do the same with weights if you are using compound movements. Granted, shoulder pressing isn't going to be as effective as a sprint because your using less muscle mass. If you get on a leg press machine, however, and use a weight that allows for 20-30 reps you'll find that way more taxing than sprints.
    Would I be putting a grain-feed cow on a fad diet if I took it out of the feedlot and put it on pasture eating the grass nature intended?

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    sprints are HIIT, but HIIT isn't necessarily sprints. like scott said, they are metabolically similar. that's why i like to think in terms of sprint workouts where i am still employing a lot of muscle and breathing and pumping blood hard, but i may not be running. i don't do actual sprints in the winter, but i do intense cardio HIIT (usually stationary bike or burpee sets) and get a lot of the same benefits. i consider that a sprint workout.
    i may also do a body weight circuit on another day that is technically high intensity and done intervals, but i don't consider that a sprint workout. personally, i feel like it's only a sprint workout if you are moving your body, or simulate moving your body, through lots of space: running, biking, swimming, jumping (running being the best)...where you go for max effort for about 20 seconds, then rest and repeat. i don't consider weights or body weight strengthening exercises to be sprinting, which creates the difference between sprinting and HIIT...for me anyway.

Kimmers_SSM is offline Junior Member
    Thanks for the responses. That's pretty much what I was thinking, but wanted to double check. I think running sprints + a high intensity circuit will fit the bill for me.