Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Magnesium and Potassium Supplementation page

diene is offline Senior Member

Magnesium and Potassium Supplementation

Shop Now
    I've responded to a few posts telling people to supplement their diet with magnesium and potassium. So I figured that I should just share my personal experience here. I'm pretty sure that I was either magnesium- or potassium-deficient (or both) for years.

For years, I had this problem with sore calves. It's the kind of soreness that you get when you've had a bit too much to drink the day before (not everyone experiences post-excessive-drinking muscle soreness, but those of you who do would know what I'm talking about), except that I had it all the time. And when I drank too much, I'd be extra sore--not just my calves but my hamstrings and quads too. Anyway, in general, however, my calves would always be sore. It's not so bad that it interfered with any of my activities, but it was annoying as hell. It would go away for a couple hours after a run, which was one reason why I liked running so much.

I tried all kinds of stretches, massages, etc., and these things would help temporarily but did not make the soreness go away. Then three or four months ago I started experimenting with the ketogenic diet. As part of the diet, I started taking a magnesium supplement and gave myself salt licks of "light salt." Light salt is usually 50% sodium chloride and 50% potassium chloride. And the muscle soreness went away almost entirely. I'd say I experienced an 80-90% improvement. I mean, my calves are still tight and need to be stretched daily, but the really annoying soreness has gone away.

So all these years, my sore calves were caused by a mineral deficiency, and I had no idea. So, yeah, supplement with potassium and magnesium.

MissJecka is offline Senior Member
    I'm taking Magnesium supplements because my doctor said I need to take vitamin D supplements due to me being dark-skinned, living in the northern hemisphere, I'm olive-skinned, I'm a female (thus, at risk for osteoporosis in the future) and I don't consume much dairy. Vitamin D needs Magensium to be properly utilized by the body, and many folks who don't take Magnesium with vitamin D will have bad side-effects until they supplement with Magnesium.
    >> Current Stats: 90% Primal / 143 lbs / ~25% BF
    >> Goal (by 1 Jan 2014): 90% Primal / 135-ish pounds / 20-22% BF

>> Upcoming Fitness Feats: Tough Mudder, June 2013
    >> Check out my super-exciting journal by clicking these words.

Weight does NOT equal health -- ditch the scale, don't be a slave to it!

healthy11 is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for posting your results! So, you don't supplement with pills, just light salt? I have the same problem with sore or tight muscles and muscle cramping and know I have to supplement with both potassium and magnesium, but usually do it in pill form. Can you be more specific as to how you are supplementing? Brand of light salt? How much? Do you take pills also or just the light salt? I'd like to try this.

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by serenity View Post
    I've responded to a few posts telling people to supplement their diet with magnesium and potassium. So I figured that I should just share my personal experience here. I'm pretty sure that I was either magnesium- or potassium-deficient (or both) for years.

For years, I had this problem with sore calves. It's the kind of soreness that you get when you've had a bit too much to drink the day before (not everyone experiences post-excessive-drinking muscle soreness, but those of you who do would know what I'm talking about), except that I had it all the time. And when I drank too much, I'd be extra sore--not just my calves but my hamstrings and quads too. Anyway, in general, however, my calves would always be sore. It's not so bad that it interfered with any of my activities, but it was annoying as hell. It would go away for a couple hours after a run, which was one reason why I liked running so much.

I tried all kinds of stretches, massages, etc., and these things would help temporarily but did not make the soreness go away. Then three or four months ago I started experimenting with the ketogenic diet. As part of the diet, I started taking a magnesium supplement and gave myself salt licks of "light salt." Light salt is usually 50% sodium chloride and 50% potassium chloride. And the muscle soreness went away almost entirely. I'd say I experienced an 80-90% improvement. I mean, my calves are still tight and need to be stretched daily, but the really annoying soreness has gone away.

So all these years, my sore calves were caused by a mineral deficiency, and I had no idea. So, yeah, supplement with potassium and magnesium.
    See Magnesium-Deficiency Catastrophe: The Magnesium Web Site

By self experiment, I've now found that 1600 mg of Mg cures my constipation. But I think this must be too much. Now I need to find out how to balance maybe 1200mg Mg with other minerals and possibly vitamins. Maybe I've been seriously defficient in Mg for most of my life. I've noticed that uping the Mg has also eliminated muscle shaking in my fingers. I used to play the paino a lot, and now I don't have the same control over my fingers. With the increased Mg, my hands respond much better.

No other chemicals seem to be needed for Mg absorbtion. Magnesium Chloride is the best absorbed. Don't eat nuts (phytates) close in time to taking MgCl or eating.

Mg sprays and oils are good for absorbtion but will do least to reduce IBS.

The above is what my reading has produced. If I've got it wrong, please let me know. I was amazed to find that I have all the symptons of Mg deficiency, and some I've had all my life.
    1.Insulin resistance.
    2.Constipation.
    3.Migraines.
    4.Restless leg syndrome.
    5.Cramping.
    6.Hypertension.
    7.Fibromyalgia.

AdamC29 is offline Senior Member
    Posted this on another thread and no one really believed me but Supplementing magnesium citrate for me = fat loss.

I stopped taking it for about 2-3 months and I struggled to lose fat.

started taking it again for about a month now and its falling off again.

It might not fit in with everyone's science, but it works for me.
    2010 - 5,11 and 101KG

2012 - 5,11 and 77KG

Train hard, eat well and love life

14emom is offline Member
    Cryptocode: All the symptoms you listed describes me. Except for the fibromyalgia, I've never been diagnosed with that. My sister, who is a migraine sufferer, has been after me for years to take magnesium. I'm going to give it a go today. Thanks for sharing!
    PS: How do I use the quote button, I feel like a spaz, I just can't figure out how to quote something someone said. Thanks!!

Bosnic is offline Senior Member
    I've been taking Magnesium Glycinate for a bit now. It's supposed to be one of the best types because apparently it doesn't act as an antacid, it's easily absorbed, and supposed to be really good for IBS people.

It has helped with digestion, calmness, and even acne.

But oddly, I've noticed more muscles cramps when I take magnesium. How could that be? I assume it's an imbalance in other minerals?

meeshar is online now Senior Member
    I had more cramps when I took magnesium alone (for migraines). Now I take a calcium/magnesium/potassium combo supplement and don't have that problem.

Quote Originally Posted by healthy11 View Post
    Thanks for posting your results! So, you don't supplement with pills, just light salt? I have the same problem with sore or tight muscles and muscle cramping and know I have to supplement with both potassium and magnesium, but usually do it in pill form. Can you be more specific as to how you are supplementing? Brand of light salt? How much? Do you take pills also or just the light salt? I'd like to try this.
    I take a magnesium supplement, but I use light salt as a source of potassium. No particular reason, except that one day I read about how ketosis could cause a potassium deficiency so wanted to supplement with potassium right away. By the time I got off work (I work late most days), the only thing I could get was light salt so I bought that and gave myself a good "salt lick." I don't remember the brand. It's a crappy brand from a regular store, but it seems to be working for me. I kept meaning to see if I could get a better brand at Whole Foods but haven't gotten around to it. I can't say exactly how much I take. I pour some onto my palm at night and lick it off. I also poured some into a ziplock bag and brought it with me to work. I season my food with it instead of regular salt. You have to be careful though--too much potassium could be dangerous. And there needs to be a balance of sodium and potassium in your body, which is why I think that "light salt" is better than "salt substitute," which is 100% potassium chloride.

As for the magnesium supplement, I take GNC's Super Magnesium (400 mg a day), which is a blend of magnesium citrate, magnesium aspartate, and magnesium lactate. This Mercola article describes the different types of magnesium supplements and could help you pick one that you'd like to use. Magnesium and Its Health Benefits I wanted to try magnesium threonate but couldn't find it.

Quote Originally Posted by AdamC29 View Post
    Posted this on another thread and no one really believed me but Supplementing magnesium citrate for me = fat loss.

I stopped taking it for about 2-3 months and I struggled to lose fat.

started taking it again for about a month now and its falling off again.

It might not fit in with everyone's science, but it works for me.
    What's your dosage?

Quote Originally Posted by 14emom View Post
    PS: How do I use the quote button, I feel like a spaz, I just can't figure out how to quote something someone said. Thanks!!
    Hit the "Reply with Quote" button on the bottom of the post you want to quote from. If you want to quote from multiple posts, hit the button that has a quotation mark and a little plus sign next to it to mark off the posts you want to quote from. Then hit the "reply with quote" button below the last post you want to quote from.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast