Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal (252dlp) page

252dlp is offline Senior Member

Primal Journal (252dlp)

Primal Fuel
    Well, here I am, going public. I have steadily gained weight over the last two years, but the biggest chunk came during the last 12 months--30 pounds. Amazing really. It was a stressful year, and my relief was comfort foods and fatty sweets. I really feel awful when I eat too much sugar, but I've learned to ignore that and really want to reverse that. I have a host of health issues, many of which I think will be helped by eating Primal.

First of those health issues is a gluten intolerance. Yay...I've been off gluten since 2005, so this part is easy. However, I let myself stray for a lower carb diet to eating the gluten free frankenfoods. So, that goes.

Second is an intolerance to the casein in dairy. Yay...been off that since 2005 as well, so that part is not as hard as it could be. Dairy was harder for me to give up than gluten, but the almost immediate sinus infections that result from eating too much keeps me in check. I can eat a bit of cheese now and again as long as I don't eat too much.

I have arthritis in my cervical spine. Hoping reducing inflamation in general will help that as well.

I have gastroparesis, which literally means "paralyzed stomach", so I'm supposed to be cooking all my fruits and veggies. This is what will be the most challenging, though I've been doing pretty well the last couple of days.

So, I officially decided to start the PB on Friday. I haven't read the entire book yet, but I've been reading here and just decided to start anyway. Friday was just about trying to see where I am.

Here's how Saturday went:

B: 2 slices turkey, 1 slice cheddar (I have an open package, so I'll just use it up then won't buy more); 2 slices bacon; calcium/magnesium supplement. Neither the turkey nor the bacon has nitrates or nitrites.

S: Skinny soy vanilla latte (this is going to be the hardest to give up)

L: Roast chicken; organic fresh blueberries and strawberries; 1 calcium/magnesium; 1 raw cacao coconut macraroon.

D: Roast chicken; spinach & mushrooms sauteed in coconut oil, raw cocoa coconut mousse

S: Raw coconut macaroon; chicken breast

Activity: Wii...Walk It Out -- 56 min
    Last edited by 252dlp; 02-04-2013 at 03:49 PM.

Sunday, 2-3-2013

B: 1 scrambled egg with bacon and mushrooms and a little cheese

S: Skinny Soy Vanilla latte (I know, I know)

L: Shake: egg white protein powder; 1 T flaxseed meal; coconut milk, almond milk, handful each of strawberries and blueberries; 2 drops of stevia

S: Raw coconut macaroon (I love these, but they ARE expensive, so probably won't keep buying them)

S: 4.5 oz Duck breast w/skin; sauteed spinach

D: Rest of the duck breast w/skin; artichoke bottoms, apple w/cashew butter

Activity: Walked to get the Starbucks, then continued around the neighborhood -- 40 min.

And today, 2/4/2013:

B: Cocao mousse

S: Iced decaf coffee that I made myself with coconut milk

S: 2 slices turkey; 1 slice cheddar cheese (almost done with the pack)

S: 2 hardboiled eggs with a little mayo; pistachios

L: tuna in olive oil, apple, beet chips

To come:
    D: Shake: egg white protein powder, 1 T flaxseed meal; coconut & almond milks, handful of strawberries and blueberries; 2 drops of stevia; almonds; and MAYBE duck if I'm still hungry or get hungry after dinner

Activity: 20 minute walk in the morning, and 40 minutes in the evening.
    Last edited by 252dlp; 02-04-2013 at 06:51 PM.

I forgot to post my macronutrient breakdown...I think it will be helpful down the line for me to keep track of them.

Saturday:

Protein: 27% 133 g
    Carbs: 17% 83 g
    Fats: 56% 124 g

Sunday:

Protein: 21% 110 g
    Carbs: 19% 102 g
    Fats: 60% 139 g

Monday:

Protein: 22% 105 g
    Carbs: 21% 99 g
    Fats: 56% 117 g

And my food plan for today:

Already eaten:

3 mini egg "muffins" (just egg, a tiny amount of cream); a couple of spoonfuls of Cocoa Coconut Mousse

Cashews (won't be buying these again--opting for Macadamias instead); and a few beet chips

Iced coffee: coconut milk creamer and liquid sugar free syrup (I'll be breaking this habit soon, lol)

2 hard boiled eggs with a THIN layer of mayo spread on top of each half

Planned for the rest of the day:

L: Duck and an apple

D: Cod, sauteed brussells sprouts (also making enough to have some for lunch tomorrow)

S: Sliced Turkey with 1 slice of cheddar cheese and maybe 1 slice of bacon (all nitrate/nitrite free) if I'm hungry.

So, after tracking for just a couple of days...it's really apparent where my issues are, lol. I've got to find a way to get in more veggies and probably will have to limit fruit a bit as I think I've been overeating it. The cashews are too sweet, so I'm going to switch to macadamia. And, I guess for a while I'll have to do with just plain water for my morning treat in stead of the iced coffee, lol. Only have 2 slices of the cheese left, so after that's gone, not buying any more.

Did not end up needing my last snack last night. That's good news, lol! I also managed to get in a little activity with a short 20 minute recumbant bike ride.

Today looks like this:

S: Couple bites of cocoa coconut cream mousse

S: Beet chips and iced decaf coffee with coconut milk creamer and a little liquid Splenda

B: Egg salad with mayo and 1 baby dill

L: Canned Wild Alaskan Salmon salad with mayo and 1 baby dill, leftover brussells sprouts and an apple

D: Protein shake: egg white protein powder, flax see meal, almonds, coconut milk, a little almond milk, frozen fruit--maybe peaches today, and if not then frozen-from-fresh strawberries and/or blueberries.

S: Undecided

I'll be doing some traveling this weekend. I will be attending a funeral on Saturday, but will be flying down on Friday and flying back on Sunday. Slightly worried about the food situation...but I do that anyway because of all my food allergies/intolerances and stomach condition. I may take some tuna pouches, or I may not. Not sure yet. The hotel I'll be staying at has a restaurant serving full meals and a convenience store (open 24 hours) which sounds like they might have fruits, so I think I'll be okay.

Well, yesterday didn't exactly go perfectly. I stuck to my food plan, but WAY overate. I ate because I thought I needed to, not because I actually needed to or was hungry. That's got to change. Though I often don't feel hungry because of the gastroparesis, I DO think that I eat way more often than I need to. I also didn't feel well yesterday, probably the added fruits and veggies, which are contraindicated for gastroparesis. I'm toning it down today and plan to only eat when I'm hungry, and sadly, didn't bring veggies. I did bring an apple, but am not sure I will eat it. I'm feeling better than yesterday, but feel like eating the wrong thing would definitely not be wise.

So, so far I've had:

4 bites of coconut cream cocao mousse

Some raw cashews (probably not a wise idea, but I WAS hungry and that was handy)

2 hardboiled eggs with a THIN layer of mayo; 5 slices of nitrate/nitrite free precooked bacon; coffee with half'n'half and 1 packet sugar

The rest of the day will probably be like this:

L: Roasted chicken; apple

S: Ground beef with tomatoe sauce

D: Undecided. Didn't take anything out, didn't plan for anything...wasn't in the mood for food this morning. It will probably be a protein shake to placate my stupid faulty stomach.

S: Sliced turkey breast if needed

I also finished off the last of my cheddar cheese yesterday, and funny thing is, it really didn't taste all that good. That makes not buying it even easier.

I was a pound up this morning, and I've been feeling off. Not sure how much of any of that has to do with going Primal, but I think my carbs are still high enough to prevent the serious low carb flu symptoms. I've been right around 100 carbs every day since Friday.

Just got back from my brothers funeral. It was an emotional weekend, but fortunately I didn't have access to food to do the emotional eating I usually do. I didn't make it entirely primal, but I did manage to NOT overeat. I go back to work tomorrow, so we'll see how I do.

Today looked like this:

B: 4 organic sausage links, 1/4 cantaloupe
    S: Starbucks (totally NOT primal)
    L: Grass fed ground beef, raw cocao coconut macaroon (nearly all primal)
    D: Protein shake (all primal).

To come:

S: Sliced turkey, avocado

Today has been pretty good so far:

Waited until I was hungry to eat which is a first for me. I usually eat breakfast whether I am hungry or not.

First: Mochaccino (totally NOT primal); 1/4 of a cantaloupe
    B: 1 "head" of romaine lettuce, roasted chicken breast, olive oil and balsamic vinegar dressing, about 5-6 olives
    L: Ground beef with tomato sauce

To come:

D: Egg salad and/or slices of turkey with avocado (how much and what will depend on how hungry I am and/or if I need a snack.

Feeling a bit off again today. Woke up with a sore throat yesterday, but it went away as the day went on. Throat is feeling a bit sore again, and feeling like I just want to lay down, lol. This too shall pass.

So far:

Starbucks soy mocha (this is going to be so hard, lol)
    1/4 cantaloupe
    Egg salad
    Ground beef with tomatoe sauce

To come: big romaine salad with balsamic/olive oil dressing, chicken breast, avocado, olives, and whatever else I can find to throw in

I'm still at work, and have about an hour and 15 minutes left....the urge to eat a piece of chocolate is really strong, but not because I want the sweet stuff, it's mostly because I'm not feeling well. That doesn't seem to make any sense. I will wait until I get home and will have my raw coconut macaroon as dessert after my salad.

Did better in one area today, but totally blew it in another.

So far:

Early: 1/2 avocado, 1 slice turkey, iced decaf coffee with coconut milk creamer (yay) and liquid splenda (boo)
    B: 3-egg egg salad with pickle, pickle juice and a little mayo
    L: ground beef with tomato sauce
    S: (here's the not so good part) a handful of Dove chocolates

to come:

D: (Protein shake) egg white protein powder, unsweetened cocoa powder, flax seed meal, couple drops liquid stevia, coconut milk, frozen banana and some slivered almonds.

S: goat cheese/cranberries if needed

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast