Thread: Duck Eggs page

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member

Duck Eggs

Primal Fuel
    So I am friends with a lady at work that has a "little" farm at home. This is where i get my chicken eggs from. (doesn't get much better).

Well I just found out she has ducks and and scored 2 dozen duck eggs. (they are huge )
    Do you cook them the same way you would chicken eggs?

beckinwolf is offline Member
    I love me some duck eggs! I also have a local source of duck eggs. You do cook them the same as chicken eggs. They can be much larger than chicken eggs though. The size really varies a lot, I've found. Some duck eggs are twice as big as chicken eggs, others are almost the same size. If you hard boil them, they seem to take a bit more time than chicken eggs. The shells are quite a bit different than chicken eggs. They seem thinner and not quite white, but more opaque. When they are hard boiled, the yoke is very rich, almost like eating liver or some other really rich fatty meat. Very yummy! I highly recommend them.
    Carpe Diem!

Sharonll is offline Senior Member
    Lucky you! Duck eggs are fabulous, and have even more fat than chicken eggs. In recipes, you need to account for the increased size of duck eggs, so a recipe that calls for 4 eggs might only require 3 duck eggs. You'll also find that whipped egg whites from duck eggs are more voluminous than those of chicken eggs. Also, when making fried eggs, the duck egg whites are different. Hard to explain, exactly, maybe slightly tougher? You may not like them if you ordinarily fry your eggs so the whites are crispy, but adding a little water to the pan at the end and letting the whites poach a little seems to help.

When I first was raising ducks (switched to chickens in an urban setting) I went online to learn about cooking the duck eggs. This is a very helpful link: http://www.newagrarian.com/2008/07/0...ith-duck-eggs/

piano-doctor-lady is offline Senior Member
    Does anybody know anything about quail eggs?

I've sometimes thought that keeping quail would be neat.

beckinwolf is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by piano-doctor-lady View Post
    Does anybody know anything about quail eggs?

I've sometimes thought that keeping quail would be neat.
    I've had quail eggs. They are very small. I wouldn't really waste your time with them. You have to eat like 10 quail eggs to equal two or three chicken eggs. They taste fine, but they are hard to deal with because the shells are very thin and delicate. So they crack very easily. There is also a membrane underneath the shell that is quite thick, so you have to basically "pop" the eggs. It was very weird to crack them into the skillet.
    Carpe Diem!

aboutsaffron is offline Senior Member
    Duck eggs are the BEST. I miss our ducks! And yes, you can use them exactly like chicken eggs. We used to make the BEST chocolate chip cookies with them - obviously, not any more, but those were some tasty cookies!
    And forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the wind longs to play with your hair
    Kahlil Gibran

http://simplesunshine.wordpress.com

cookie is offline Senior Member
    totally jealous. i love duck eggs. my fav is to fry them up like a chicken egg, over medium, yolk a little runny, and eat them over sweet potato hash. dear lord. see, the yolk of a duck egg is generally a little richer than a chicken egg, so they taste stronger and even more delicious than a chicken egg. they take just a few seconds longer to try because the yolks are impossibly huge.
    enjoy your eggs!

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member
    I had 3 scrambled this morning... had trouble finishing them. They are a lot more "rich" than chicken eggs... a lot more filling. I'm going to different ways of cooking them as well. I think I'm going to have to cut down to 2 per day because of the size/richness...

Thanks guys.

livinlite is offline Senior Member
    Any more input on duck eggs? They seem to be more available now...or maybe I'm just noticing them more.

Should they by default be more healthy than even most chicken eggs? I'm saying apples to apples...from the same producer.

http://www.stiebrsfarms.com/

That's the company the natural markets here carry, so I either can get their chicken eggs or their duck eggs. Any reason to do one over the other?