Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sardines? page

the_walrus0 is offline Member

Sardines?

Shop Now
    They're freaking me out, but I have two cans of organic, skinless and boneless sardines in my pantry.

Yes, I pussied out and grabbed skinless and boneless. I don't think I can do the bone thing just yet. I still get freaked out looking at an uncooked chicken leg.

I happen to think all animals are cute, even if they are delicious and nutritious, and the more my meat looks like an animal the less appetizing it becomes. I didn't want to be staring my canned fish in the eyes and chomping on it's spine.

But I'm still a little put off by sardines. I've never known anyone who eats sardines, even though I've read they used to be common in American pantries and are actually very sustainable. I'd like to get to know these little guys.

I haven't plucked up the courage to open a can yet but I think I might just suck it up and do it tonight.

Do any of you guys love sardines? Hate them? How do you eat them? Everyone(on the rest of the interwebs) says crackers but that's not really an option for me.

itchy166 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by the_walrus0 View Post
    They're freaking me out, but I have two cans of organic, skinless and boneless sardines in my pantry.

Yes, I pussied out and grabbed skinless and boneless. I don't think I can do the bone thing just yet. I still get freaked out looking at an uncooked chicken leg.

I happen to think all animals are cute, even if they are delicious and nutritious, and the more my meat looks like an animal the less appetizing it becomes. I didn't want to be staring my canned fish in the eyes and chomping on it's spine.

But I'm still a little put off by sardines. I've never known anyone who eats sardines, even though I've read they used to be common in American pantries and are actually very sustainable. I'd like to get to know these little guys.

I haven't plucked up the courage to open a can yet but I think I might just suck it up and do it tonight.

Do any of you guys love sardines? Hate them? How do you eat them? Everyone(on the rest of the interwebs) says crackers but that's not really an option for me.
    I'm in exactly the same boat lol. I used to eat very little fish before going Primal, and am trying my hardest to introduce it whenever I can. I am pretty creeped out about the sardines, but I realize their health benefits. I've started by introducing herring fillets (which I am liking), but haven't made the jump to full sardines yet.

I too was thinking crackers or toast might be a good sardine delivery system, but I've given up all flour, and don't want to go back.
    "It's a great life, if you don't weaken.". John Buchan

Jena is offline Senior Member
    Yep, same here. I really want the nutritional benefits of eating a whole fish, skin, skeleton, brains, etc... But it just grosses me out. You've gotten farther than I have... I haven't even bought them! I plan on doing so soon though.
    Cha-cha-cha changes.... turn and face the strange...

My journal - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread66276.html

EagleRiverDee is offline Senior Member
    I eat sardines (with skin and bones) several times a week. In fact, it was only yesterday in the store I noticed that they actually had "skinless, boneless" sardines and my comment to my DH on that was, "what's the point of that?" because part of the bonus of sardines is that you get calcium from the bones. Personally my favorite kind is the "mediterranean style"- they have olives and some spices in them. If the look of eating whole small fish bothers you, you may be better off going with canned salmon or tuna instead. I don't really get plate fright and since the taste and texture of sardines is fine, I like them.
    High Weight: 225
    Weight at start of Primal: 189
    Current Weight: 174
    Goal Weight: 130

Primal Start Date: 11/26/2012

Jama is offline Junior Member
    Love em! I get boneless/skinless packed in olive oil. I pour everything into a bowl including the oil and put a heaping spoonful of chile garlic sauce on top. Also, I eat it with a spoon to get some of every ingredient in each bite.

BygoneCat is offline Member
    I love sardines! There are always several cans in my fridge. I don't get them in oil anymore since I am pretty sure it's not real olive oil. I like them with fresh ground salt, or tobasco sauce, or horseradish, or mustard. Very yummy, instant protein.

cantat is offline Senior Member
    The sardines I get don't have heads or tails, so that makes it a little easier to look at...I like to have them with marinara (got the idea from one tin where they were already IN marinara) and heat them up. Their flavor, to me, isn't very dissimilar to tuna, and in fact may be even milder. They're small enough that while you can sometimes tell a little variation in texture, it's pretty minimal, and the bones are so soft they don't even register as bones. They're so convenient, too - I prefer them warm but room temp is fine too. Go for it!!
    29/F
    5'4.5
    Highest weight: 220
    Starting weight: 195
    Current weight: 179
    Goal weight: 127

JudyCr is offline Senior Member
    I really love these Sardines | Canned Portuguese Sardine | Vital Choice
    All of their products are great, expensive but high quality.

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    Nope, I'm not squeamish at all. I eat tinned sardines in tomato sauce straight out of the can, the bones are so ridiculously soft. There's really no need to be squeamish.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

whitebear is offline Senior Member
    I LOVE sardines and eat them several times a week. My favorite so far are the Wild Planet sardines. I buy them at Kroger stores.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast