Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Sardines? page 4

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by AshleyL View Post
    I love them as well. My only gripe is I can't find whole, wild caught sardines that are NOT smoked. And after eating some boneless and skinless ones that were not smoked and finding the flavor way superior, I don't want the whole ones much anymore Anyone know where I can get some that are whole and unsmoked plus wild and in olive oil?

The best tasting I have had are the crown prince boneless and skinless in olive oil. But, as mentioned, the skin and bones are SO good for you!
    Palacio de Oriente are a great non-smoked brand. They sell them at Publix down here in South Florida.

krsn89 is offline Member
    Oddly enough I'm not a big fan of fish in general but I have always loved sardines. I eat them probably about 3-4x a week. There's no head or tails but the bones are definitely there. You don't even notice them because they're so soft/mushy! I usually get them in tomato sauce and eat 2-3 cans at a time

canuck416 is offline Senior Member
    Love them, eat a can or two at least once a week. Usually get them in water not oil at whole foods. They are loaded with all kinds of great nutrients. My challenge is getting my mind around eating brains and organ meats.

UTfootball747 is offline Member
    I love pretty much all kinds of seafood (except shellfish, which I'm allergic to), and I eat canned tuna and anchovies regularly. But I've yet to get into sardines. Perhaps I just haven't bought the right kind? I think it's at least partly the mushy consistency...

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by canuck416 View Post
    Love them, eat a can or two at least once a week. Usually get them in water not oil at whole foods. They are loaded with all kinds of great nutrients. My challenge is getting my mind around eating brains and organ meats.
    I won't eat cow brains, but I might consider brains from an animal not quite so commercial. As to organs, I used to tell people to give chicken livers a shot because they're so mild. But, if you want to start with something really close to very very lean beef, try beef heart. The prep is a bit tedious, but then you get to say you've cooked beef heart at least once in your life. If you think you'll want to hide it, cube it small and make chili. Delish!
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by UTfootball747 View Post
    I love pretty much all kinds of seafood (except shellfish, which I'm allergic to), and I eat canned tuna and anchovies regularly. But I've yet to get into sardines. Perhaps I just haven't bought the right kind? I think it's at least partly the mushy consistency...
    If you substitute white rice for the spaghetti in this recipe, you might be able to get past the consistency. Spaghetti with Crushed Sardine and Tomato Sauce | Chocolate & Zucchini
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

For those that are not familiar with Sardines, there are two main kinds sold in stores- the bigger Iberian style that usually come three to a can and have the heads and tails cut off, and the Nordic style that use a much smaller type of fish and come with just the heads cut off and are layered in two rows. The Iberian style is fishier and tastes like a pungent Tuna. The Nordic style is blander, which some people actually prefer but not me. Then you have smoked vs non smoked and of course all the different types of liquid it might have been cooked in. I love Sardines. Vital Choice sardines in EVO are the best, but only available online and a bit pricier (but also come in a slightly larger than usual BPA free container).

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234