Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Running events, tough mudder, warrior dash, etc page

Running events, tough mudder, warrior dash, etc

Shop Now
    I have a warrior dash that I'm doing in July and I'm curious as to if the primal fitness regimen is enough to get my strength up to where I need it to be for the event. I've also added in the use of a medicine ball for certain body weight movements for added weight and resistance. In terms of running I am doing a walk/run training interval program to avoid as much chronic cardio as possible.

Is there anything else that I should be taking into account for getting my body into tip top shape in the next 5 months?

MissJecka is offline Senior Member
    Congrats on registering for a Warrior Dash! I've done the Mudathlon (same as the Warrior Dash, just a different company and charity) and it's so much fun! The good thing about the 5k-length races like the Warrior Dash is that the running is broken up so much that you will rarely be running for more than a quarter mile at a time. I didn't train for my race at all and even with crappy upper body strength, I survived to tell the tale!

Anyway, how is your current fitness level? How far can you run? (For Warrior Dash, you only really need to be able to run a mile or two without feeling like death afterwards. No biggie.) Can you do monkey bars? Can you pull your own body weight over a wall? Also, do you have teammates or will you be going at it alone? I did mine alone and was scared I'd get stuck at a high wall or something, but people are extremely friendly and helped me out. Another team even "adopted" me and ran with me through the mud across the finish line!

Bottom line: Just start small. Do some sprints, run a mile or two a couple of times a week, and work on your upper body strength if you are lacking there. You only really need to do body weight exercises because, well, you're only going to be lifting your body on the obstacles!

I'm doing the Tough Mudder (10-to-12 miles with obstacles just like the Warrior Dash) in May so I, too, will be spending the next few months training... I know what you're going through!
    >> Current Stats: 90% Primal / 143 lbs / ~25% BF
    >> Goal (by 1 Jan 2014): 90% Primal / 135-ish pounds / 20-22% BF

>> Upcoming Fitness Feats: Tough Mudder, June 2013
    >> Check out my super-exciting journal by clicking these words.

Weight does NOT equal health -- ditch the scale, don't be a slave to it!

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    I would definitely take some time to get acclimated to doing things on a trail, and uphill, downhill, etc. I would actually try to make that my primary focus.

I also wouldn't be so hesitant to do some chronic cardio, the dangers of that are when you do it for years upon years, not for a month or two in preparation for an event. Be smart about it.
    I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

I've done 5k's in the past (not with obsticles) so the running I'm not really concerned about, but it has been a good while since I have done any real running (apart from the training that I just started recently) Before I was averaging around a 9.5 minute mile, which isnt great but its fairly decent.

Right now outdoor running is difficult, being that I have to compete with snow and ice so I'll be sticking to the gym until spring.

My primary concern right now lies in my upper body strength, as it is pretty much useless. Any thoughts as to what I can be adding to get my upper body strength at least somewhat decent in 5 months?

Commander Quan is offline Junior Member
    If you have even a moderate level of athleticism you can do Warrior Dash. The shorter mud runs like WD are just a good time. If you are dead set on getting the best finishing time possible, you'll have to register for the 8:00 am start time and start in the front of the line, because after that there is almost always a back log of people waiting to start the obstacles.

When I did it there were literally 300 pound girls doing the "race" and they were having just as much fun as everyone else.

There were a couple obstacles where having a partner or team would have been easier than going alone, but one of the best parts about these events is that other participants are willing to help out a stranger.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    i'm looking for a friend to join me at a local WD on 16 March. It's got an entry-fee deal going on one of the deal sites today. So far, no dice!

yeah, I can't find anyone. . . lol

Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    i'm looking for a friend to join me at a local WD on 16 March. It's got an entry-fee deal going on one of the deal sites today. So far, no dice!

yeah, I can't find anyone. . . lol
    As I mentioned in my comment, I ran my Mudathlon by myself - no team, no nothing - and plenty of people helped me along the way, boosting me over walls and holding my hand to pull me up a muddy hill. No worries!

My biggest thing is that I want to be strong enough to do all of the events on my own, and maybe even be the person that is fit enough to help other people through the events. I don't like awknowledging that I can't do things...lol

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neanderthal Betty View Post
    My biggest thing is that I want to be strong enough to do all of the events on my own, and maybe even be the person that is fit enough to help other people through the events. I don't like awknowledging that I can't do things...lol
    keeping up with the cardio is good, but a lot of mud runs aren't really about running...so i would make that your secondary goal (also, i agree with iniquity that you should get off the road and try some trail running, and do some hiking). for the obstacles, you want to focus on calisthenics: pull ups, pushups, squats, dips, etc. probably the best thing you can do is incorporate those into your running. run in intervals and do those exercises in between, even if it's just a few. then, once you're back outside, keep the intervals, but go on trails and climb trees or jump over rocks, do pull ups on tree branches.

the obstacles at most warrior dashes aren't crazy. they are usually pretty safe, and more about challenge by choice than physical prowess. there are climbing walls, cargo nets, balance obstacles, tunnels, and things to jump over and craw under...plus the mud. so focus on those exercises that will help you move your body over, under and through things.

Quote Originally Posted by primalrob View Post
    the obstacles at most warrior dashes aren't crazy. they are usually pretty safe, and more about challenge by choice than physical prowess. there are climbing walls, cargo nets, balance obstacles, tunnels, and things to jump over and craw under...plus the mud. so focus on those exercises that will help you move your body over, under and through things.
    Agreed 100%. During my Mudathlon, there were only three obstacles I struggled with - monkey bars over mud, climbing over the high wall, and climbing up a very very slippery and muddy hill - one of which I couldn't do at all (monkey bars). Even with my really crappy upper body strength, I was able to jump up and grab the top of the high wall, pull myself a teenie bit, then someone grabbed my wrist and pulled me over. The muddy hill was hard just because of the mud, but being able to hold onto the ropes and pull myself little by little (with plenty of folks pushing me from behind at times!) helped me get through it.

As already mentioned, it's definitely less about the running and more about the obstacles, and even then there are plenty of people to help you!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast