Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bye bye cosmetics! Learning about skin and hair pH. page

YogaBare is offline Senior Member

Bye bye cosmetics! Learning about skin and hair pH.

Primal Fuel
    At the start of Jan I began an N=1 into the no-shampoo craze, and it is literally the best thing I've never done! Last week my hairdresser kept saying how soft my hair was, how much new growth there was, and eventually asked me if I'd changed shampoo - ha! (Here's the thread, which has some great tips on how to transition: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread74809.html)

It got me thinking. Since cutting out gluten, soy, veg oils, tap water, and upping my fat intake, my very-delicate-needs-lots-of-moisturer skin has become quite low maintenance. The inside-out approach is helping, but how about outside-in?

The science: Our skin and hair are supposed to have a slightly acidic pH of about 4.3, but most cosmetics and hair care products are alkaline. (Soap can be up to 9, and detergents are around 11, but that's a whole other thread). I've heard before "don't put anything on your skin that you wouldn't eat" so this was my new N=1:

Use foods on my face and body that have a pH that is close to the natural pH of skin.

In the same way that the sebum production of hair balanced once you stop using shampoo, I predicted that my skin would start to balance once I stopped using cosmetics that strip it of its natural oils.

I've been using greek yogurt (pH 4.3) mixed with honey (pH 3.9 - 6.1) as a facial cleanser (which is literally what I eat for breakfast every morning ) I've used lemon (pH 2.3) diluted in water (pH 7) as a toner (but only at night, cos' it makes skin photosensitive), and I'm going to try it with orange because orange has a slightly higher pH (3.5). I'm taking baths with the juice and zest of one lemon.

It's only been one week but my skin looks amazing! It's soft, glowing, and I swear there are fewer wrinkles on my hands. I've only used moisturiser a few times (normally have to moisturise twice a day) and I used a dab of coconut oil as a body moisturizer after one of my baths.

One complaint I still have with my hair is that it still has some static - but I read that hair which 'frizzes' is more alkaline, which is why coloured hair is more likely to stick up (hair dye is very alkaline). It's recommended to spray hair with aloe vera juice to lower the pH. Haven't tried this yet but going to rinse my hair in my lemon bath tonight.

Can you imagine how much money a person could save eliminating cosmetics? Plus I imagine my lymphatic system is going to thank me. Goooo hippies!
    Last edited by YogaBare; 02-04-2013 at 12:37 PM.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    Great
    Ive done the same
    I do the CaveGirlEats oil cleansing method on my face every few days, and it feels awesome!
    So cheap too.
    I have not bothered with makeup for ages.

It extends to cleaning products in my home too, I use natural cleaners, no fly sprays etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Ayla2010 View Post
    Great
    Ive done the same
    I do the CaveGirlEats oil cleansing method on my face every few days, and it feels awesome!
    So cheap too.
    I have not bothered with makeup for ages.

It extends to cleaning products in my home too, I use natural cleaners, no fly sprays etc.
    Whoop!

It's interesting - the oil thing doesn't work for me. I always thought - delicate skin = needs lots of moisture, but I realised that the heavy prodcuts are too much for the skin to take. I started to apply a principle of homeopathy to it which is basically that two plus's make a minus: something drying to something dry = something moist. And it seems to be working! Is your skin normal-oily Ayla?
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

my skin was weird before. Dry spots on cheeks, oily forehead, occasional spots. I think thats called combination?
    I used to have to moisturise daily.
    Now I do the cleanse/jojoba oil every 2-3 days, and my skin is so clear, pores are shrinking, and I never feel dry.
    I wish I had discovered this earlier. I was spending lots of money on so called natural products, then I recently realised (I thought I had checked before purchase), that they had wheat in them. WTF? That is so stupid.
    I don't eat it, so don't want it on my skin.

Yeah, 'natural' products are really just about marketing... the ones I've looked at had so many unpronounceable ingredients!

Another upside to all this - I smell delicious

More info on using Lemon as a skin care product: 8 Ways to Use Lemon For Beautiful Skin | My Thirty Spot

- Ray Peat

thanks will check out the link

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Danged hippies!

Seriously, what you're doing is great, but they will have to pry my eyeliner and mascara from my cold rigor mortis'd hands.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

hehe
    Thanks funny.
    Are they at least the mineral stuff

meeshar is offline Senior Member
    I do oil cleansing with jojoba (olive and coconut oil break me out) and love it. I'm thinking about going no-poo this summer while on an RV trip (so I'm expected to look greasy, lol).

I've never been a makeup user except for special occasions (so my stash is usually woefully expired) but lately I can't even handle new stuff--breaks me out horribly. I did full face Dia de los Muertos sugar skull for Halloween and my skin took almost 2 weeks to heal.

Unfortunately, I'm at that age where I'm starting to feel like I need a little makeup to perk me up, maybe not every day but at least going out in public. I wish there were a Primal cosmetics company!

When I did say anything about no makeup? I'm with you Joanie - mascara is one of life's little joys.

Quote Originally Posted by meeshar View Post
    I wish there were a Primal cosmetics company!
    Hey Meeshar, In the thread I linked above there are some really nice Primal makeup recipes

- Ray Peat

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast