Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Bye bye cosmetics! Learning about skin and hair pH. page 7

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    You all are making me feel like a dinosaur. I've used Ivory soap since I was a little girl. In the 80s when deodorant soaps were popular, I tried two of them (Dial and that green swirly one) and I broke out. Whenever I've tried healthier soaps, I felt greasy after my shower.

Is there anything wrong with bentonite clay for every other week facials? (I'm one oily Eye-talian; I think there's olive oil in my blood.) I also use a commercial scrub because I've read that the jagged edges on some more natural scrubs (crushed peach pits for eg.) can do more harm than the artificially made little balls that are in more mainstream brands.

I won't even tell you what shampoo I use because I've already read the Eco-reviews, and apparently I'm an ignorant earth killer for even considering using it, but again, my hair is very oily.

Any words of wisdom are greatly appreciated - I'm always willing to learn.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

catdance62 is offline Senior Member
    the only other alkali I can think of is potassium hydroxide (lye is sodium hydroxide) and that is usually used in "soft" or "liquid" soap.

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    Sounds like after what ZB said, I don't need to be concerned about it being in the soap anyway.
    If its the worst thing I use then I am not worried. All our cleaners are natural cleaners, and I don't use nasty oven cleaners or fly sprays or anything.

zoebird is online now Senior Member
    we use natural soap in our home -- for hand washing after toilet and before cooking. It's habit, mostly. DH uses way too much soap, and his hands are dried out all the time. I tell him to stop; he never listens.

Anyway, i like having a bit of soap around for cleaning, too. I love peppermint castile soap because it is an amazing cleanser. Just unbelievably good. Wash your dishes with it -- amazing.

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    I only use the soap on my under arms really, but my husband uses it all over. Plus we don't use it on our children, so its all good really I guess.

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayla2010 View Post
    Thanks BO, that makes more sense.
    glad i could help soap making is seriously one of the easiest things in the world and i used to do it

i've gotten lazy, however

Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    You all are making me feel like a dinosaur. I've used Ivory soap since I was a little girl. In the 80s when deodorant soaps were popular, I tried two of them (Dial and that green swirly one) and I broke out. Whenever I've tried healthier soaps, I felt greasy after my shower.

Is there anything wrong with bentonite clay for every other week facials? (I'm one oily Eye-talian; I think there's olive oil in my blood.) I also use a commercial scrub because I've read that the jagged edges on some more natural scrubs (crushed peach pits for eg.) can do more harm than the artificially made little balls that are in more mainstream brands.

I won't even tell you what shampoo I use because I've already read the Eco-reviews, and apparently I'm an ignorant earth killer for even considering using it, but again, my hair is very oily.

Any words of wisdom are greatly appreciated - I'm always willing to learn.
    i don't see why you couldn't use clay weekly or twice weekly if you have excess skin oil

and i use earth-killing, store bought Aussie shampoo and conditioner it smells good and makes my hair and my dogs fur feel good

as far as exfoliation goes, the little beads never did much for me so i wash my face with a wash rag and hippie made soap and when i feel excessively grody i used a face buff

Quote Originally Posted by Ayla2010 View Post
    Sounds like after what ZB said, I don't need to be concerned about it being in the soap anyway.
    If its the worst thing I use then I am not worried. All our cleaners are natural cleaners, and I don't use nasty oven cleaners or fly sprays or anything.
    yeah, seriously hand made soap is super gentle and not harmful at all if made right

and when it's made wrong, it robs stores and drinks and causes all kinds of mayhem
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567