Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Bye bye cosmetics! Learning about skin and hair pH. page 6

Taggy G is offline Junior Member
    Primal Fuel
    YogaBare, I read the link to your poo-less post and I am totally going to try this! Thanks to you and others' posts, I feel I can do this too! Going to start a journal in the forums! Thanks
    Starting weight: 206 lbs in June 2012
    Goal weight: 135 lbs
    Current weight: 187bs Feb 9th, 2013

The funny thing about getting on and off the wagon for me is, I either dive on or dive off. There is no nice and easy. All or nothing.

Taggy G is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayla2010 View Post
    Great
    Ive done the same
    I do the CaveGirlEats oil cleansing method on my face every few days, and it feels awesome!
    So cheap too.
    I have not bothered with makeup for ages.

It extends to cleaning products in my home too, I use natural cleaners, no fly sprays etc.
    I can't wait to try this, Ayla! Thanks for the info.
    Starting weight: 206 lbs in June 2012
    Goal weight: 135 lbs
    Current weight: 187bs Feb 9th, 2013

The funny thing about getting on and off the wagon for me is, I either dive on or dive off. There is no nice and easy. All or nothing.

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    When I was living in India I stayed with some ascetic monks for a while (as you do). They did their washing up with ashes from the fire! It works amazingly well for dishes. Maybe not so much for skin :P

Quote Originally Posted by Taggy G View Post
    YogaBare, I read the link to your poo-less post and I am totally going to try this! Thanks to you and others' posts, I feel I can do this too! Going to start a journal in the forums! Thanks
    Great!!! Glad to be of help
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    They sent me the ingredients list though, so I did ask to explain since id read without lye there is no soap.
    But maybe there is another way?
    Surely they can't leave out things from the ingredients list though?

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    When I was living in India I stayed with some ascetic monks for a while (as you do). They did their washing up with ashes from the fire! It works amazingly well for dishes. Maybe not so much for skin :P
    lye is "pot ash" or the white ash from fires. So, "straight" like this -- it's a highly caustic base. Yes, it works for cleaning things! LOL

Added to fat, there's a chemical reaction where the lye is neutralized (and so is the fat), so that makes the soap neutral. Thus, soap, rather than "lye" and "fat." And therefore, it's not caustic anymore.

bloodorchid is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayla2010 View Post
    They sent me the ingredients list though, so I did ask to explain since id read without lye there is no soap.
    But maybe there is another way?
    Surely they can't leave out things from the ingredients list though?
    if they order a soap base and add in their own ingredients they can technically say 'we don't use lye'

but it's still a lie

*badum tsss!*
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

I don't understand the soap base thing. Can you see from the ingredients list I posted, what could have the lye or whatever in it?

catdance62 is offline Senior Member
    I make goats milk soap. I use lye in my recipe--you have to use some kind of caustic/Alkaline ingredient to make saponification happen. Lye is the most commonly used ingredient. To tmake soap you have to have 3 fatty acid molecules attached to a glycerol molecule and then combined with the alkali. The glycerol is freed and either left in (as is the case with my soap) or washed out (as is the case with commercial soaps).
    The soap I make is non-drying. What commonly dries out the skin of people living in 1st world countries is living in processed air. I live in Central America part of the year without living in processed air and I never, ever had to use moisturizers. Ever.
    that said, I do wash my hair with shampoo about twice a week. I keep my hair very short and cutting it regularly keeps it soft and smooth. The ends of your hair are merely layers of keratin that have accumulated. the longer they are exposed to the environment (even without chemicals) they will become de-laminated and start to look "frizzy". Putting stuff ON your skin will affect the external layer of keratin, but it takes a (sometimes expensive) delivery system to cause deeper changes. And of course nothing (except radiation, which is detrimental) can change the DNA of your cells.
    Of course having a healthy diet will make your body processes more efficient and cause sloughing of dry skin cells to become more regular causing a healthier-looking skin.
    Some of it has to do with genetics. Look at you mother and you can see what your skin will be similar to (although not exactly the same) when you age.
    Skin and hair looks aren't magic, it is just biological science.

bloodorchid is online now Senior Member
    when i say soap base, i mean plain lye-made soap bought in bulk from a supplier

re-batch means you take a bar, grate it down (like on a cheese grater), and gently melt it down

these
    HONEY COLOURED; Lavender, Neem, calendula and camomile soap; ING;
    hemp,coconut,neem and olive oils, shea and cocoa butter, calendula and
    camomile herbs, essential oils of Lavender.

are everything they put in their soap

let's say i made a batch of plain goat milk soap. i don't like how they look, so i grate them down, melt them in a pot and add in lavender oil, chamomile flowers, shea and cocoa butter for extra skin goodness. then i pour it all into a soap mold and let it dry, then cut it into bars

i rebatched the goat milk soap

if they say they don't use lye, they're either lying about that, or they buy a pre-made soap and rebatch it. either way, at least in america, you have to list all of the ingredients and lye (or its technical name, 'sodium hydroxide') should be listed

they're being disingenuous at best
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

PrimalCon New York
    Thanks BO, that makes more sense.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast