Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Bye bye cosmetics! Learning about skin and hair pH. page 5

little vase is online now Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayla2010 View Post
    That is kinda crazy you need to use that safety gear to make soap, but then people are allowed to wash themselves with it
    I know!! Every time I use soap I think about that. I'm literally washing myself in the shower and marveling over how terrible the soap I'm using is. And how the heck did someone come up with it in the first place. There has to be a better way.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    For candles, I use beeswax (and usually recycle it candle after candle) plus essential oils as well. I'm cautious about which I use, though, because they can be potent! Beeswax is great because it creates negative ions, which helps you feel more relaxed and less stressed. It's so cool!

I try to only burn beeswax at the office, too -- to create the negative ions. It makes a big difference. I use spearmint at the office, too (in the candles), because it creates the most 'relaxing' feeling, but you don't recognize the scent. it just smells clean and feels good.

Quote Originally Posted by valmason01 View Post
    I have gone no'poo and my hair looks good. It really needs a cut so I can't say great but it is thicker and I swear less gray but maybe that is just being hopeful. I just can't give up makeup completely. I have felt really bad this week and not worn it just because I would sleep until I didn't have time to put it on. I look horrible. I do use mineral makeup but not sure how much better that is.

Question on the soap thing: I use a honey/goats milk soap I got at the farmers market and I don't think it has lye in it but now I wonder? I also have Dr. Bonners castille soap. Does that have lye too???
    Lye is what processes fat into soap. It takes the acid and neutralizes the soap (as lye is a base). So, it's the essential ingredient, and unless the soap maker is over-estimating how much lye is needed (uncommon these days), the soap will not have the harsh chemical lye in it -- because it has also been neutralized by the fat. (Source)

So, no worries on the natural lye in soap. Honestly, it's used in castile as well. A good cured bar of castile soap (i like peppermint), is a phenom cleanser for hands, kitchen, etc. And, great smell. My mother used to use about 10 different products, then I got her hooked on pepper mint castile, vinegar, and baking soda. Now, she washes everything with these.

sigzephyr is offline Senior Member
    I love OCM and use my own recipe mix for it. I have given up on no poo as my hair was suffering from it. I do wash with Dr Bronner's and use Jane Iredale mineral foundation. Have just ordered some Boom by Cindy Joseph (makeup) and i look forward to streamlining my routine.
    All Natural & Organic Cosmetics, Paraben Free Makeup

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by valmason01 View Post
    Question on the soap thing: I use a honey/goats milk soap I got at the farmers market and I don't think it has lye in it but now I wonder? I also have Dr. Bonners castille soap. Does that have lye too???
    I'm planning to make liquid 'soap' by mixing lemon and gelatine / glycerine. Lemon is naturally antibacterial and the gelatine or glycerine should make it moisturising
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    The place we buy our soap from say they don't use lye:

I thought I bought goats milk soap, but its not, they are hemp soaps.
    So how do they get them to foam?

HEMP OIL SOAPS

HONEY COLOURED; Lavender, Neem, calendula and camomile soap; ING;
    hemp,coconut,neem and olive oils, shea and cocoa butter, calendula and
    camomile herbs, essential oils of Lavender.

DARK BROWN; Patchouli, Cinnamon, Sandalwood and Ginger; ING; Hemp,
    Olive, Coconut oils, shea and cocoa butters, Sandalwood, Cinnamon and Ginger
    powders, Essential oils of Patchouli and Cinnamon.

RED GREEN CLAY SWIRL; Himalayan Cedarwood, Litsea Cubeba and Lemon
    Scented Gum; ING; Hemp, Coconut and Olive oils, Shea and Cocoa Butters,
    Australian white clay, essential oils of Himalayan Cedarwood, Litsea Cubeba
    and Lemon Scented Eucalyptus.

WHITE SWIRL; West Indian Lime and Rose geranium with French Clays; ING;
    Hemp, Coconut and Olive oils, Shea and cocoa butters, French red and green
    clay, essential oils of West Indian lime and Rose Geranium.

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    The place we buy our soap from say they don't use lye:

I thought I bought goats milk soap, but its not, they are hemp soaps.
    So how do they get them to foam?

HEMP OIL SOAPS

HONEY COLOURED; Lavender, Neem, calendula and camomile soap; ING;
    hemp,coconut,neem and olive oils, shea and cocoa butter, calendula and
    camomile herbs, essential oils of Lavender.

DARK BROWN; Patchouli, Cinnamon, Sandalwood and Ginger; ING; Hemp,
    Olive, Coconut oils, shea and cocoa butters, Sandalwood, Cinnamon and Ginger
    powders, Essential oils of Patchouli and Cinnamon.

RED GREEN CLAY SWIRL; Himalayan Cedarwood, Litsea Cubeba and Lemon
    Scented Gum; ING; Hemp, Coconut and Olive oils, Shea and Cocoa Butters,
    Australian white clay, essential oils of Himalayan Cedarwood, Litsea Cubeba
    and Lemon Scented Eucalyptus.

WHITE SWIRL; West Indian Lime and Rose geranium with French Clays; ING;
    Hemp, Coconut and Olive oils, Shea and cocoa butters, French red and green
    clay, essential oils of West Indian lime and Rose Geranium.

bloodorchid is online now Senior Member
    No lye, no soap

no lye = pot full of nice smelling goop

And glycerine soap began it's humble life with lye

if they say no lye they're fibbing. Re-batched soap is still soap

and fyi, store soaps are detergent which is why theyre harsh on skin. Home made soaps are gentil and dont strip your skin. The initial lye needed gets processed out while the bars cure
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

bloodorchid is right.

due to the chemical process of adding lye to fat/oil (even from hemp), the lye is chemically altered such that it is not lye anymore. if you use the right amount and the soap cures, there's no more lye in the final process. but it's the lye -- in chemical reaction with fat -- that creates the soap.

valmason01 is offline Senior Member
    I think I am now confused.
    You know all those things you have always wanted to do? You should go do them.

Nah.. I was always aware "they" were out to get me.. even before I became Primal..... Now I can just run faster if they find me-Dino Hunter

Age 46
    height 5'3
    SW 215 lbs
    CW 180 lbs (whole foods/primal eating)
    LW 172 lbs
    GW 125ish lbs

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast