Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Bye bye cosmetics! Learning about skin and hair pH. page 4

little vase is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I don't think you're supposed to join MDA to post links to your retail site here. I could be wrong tho.....

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by little vase View Post
    I don't think you're supposed to join MDA to post links to your retail site here. I could be wrong tho.....
    Spammers! Cant live with them, cant kill them :P
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

valmason01 is offline Senior Member
    I have gone no'poo and my hair looks good. It really needs a cut so I can't say great but it is thicker and I swear less gray but maybe that is just being hopeful. I just can't give up makeup completely. I have felt really bad this week and not worn it just because I would sleep until I didn't have time to put it on. I look horrible. I do use mineral makeup but not sure how much better that is.

Question on the soap thing: I use a honey/goats milk soap I got at the farmers market and I don't think it has lye in it but now I wonder? I also have Dr. Bonners castille soap. Does that have lye too???
    You know all those things you wanted to do: You should go do them.

Age 48
    height 5'3
    SW 215 lbs
    CW 180 lbs (whole foods/primal eating)
    LW 172 lbs
    GW 125ish lbs

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    Little vase, I buy handmade goats milk soap, and I have asked before and they said there was no lye.
    I have just sent an email to check again, but damn I don't want to use soap at all if that is true. I don't on my children anyway.

check out the link I posted earlier to the CaveGirlEats blog about oil cleansing.
    Honestly your skin will thank you, and its soooo cheap to use too.
    I used to moisturise daily, now only use jojoba oil every couple of days after I cleanse with the oil.

Quote Originally Posted by Cierra View Post
    I am increasing my fat intake drastically from a meager 15% a few months ago to about 40-60% nowadays. On the days that I don't work out, I am generally more low carb, but I don't restrict my fruit/veggie intake by any means. I eat bacon and eggs, coconut oil, plenty of avocado... But now that I think about it, I have been slipping up and dipping my finger into the peanut butter jar. Maybe I'm allergic!
    I did notice the other day that my stupid, organic body lotion had "exfoliating cereal grains" in it, so I had to toss that. Now I use Black African Mango soap with almond shells, but haven't gotten a new lotion yet. On my face, I unfortunately still use cetaphil daily facial moisturizer, just because its been my go-to since I was about 12.
    Ah, I had a similar experience with my hair getting more oily initially, and I believe that was the higher fat. It balanced out within a few weeks.

The peanut butter could defo be the culprit for your skin - and not because of the peanuts. Is it mixed with veg oil? A lot of peanut butters are. I breakout when I eat veg oils... they're lethal.

If you do the oil cleansing do a lot of research into it. I'm enjoying it, but I prefer the yogurt
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

ulnauy is offline Member
    Why did you cut out tap water? Just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by ulnauy View Post
    Why did you cut out tap water? Just curious.
    When I first moved to London I developed adult acne... which was pretty distressing as I'd always had pretty good skin before. I had just taken up Bikram yoga (yoga in a sauna) and kept attributing the acne to this, or the smog etc. I was, at that time, drinking about 10 litres of tap water a day (because of the sweat box yoga). It was this article that made me realise the acne I had could be from the water I was drinking: Fluoroderma: Acne Caused by Fluoride Exposure

In many countries tap water has fluoride in it and there's a lot of evidence now that this element is pretty detrimental to health. ADA study confirms dangers of fluoridated water, especially for babies

In the U.K they know the dangers of fluoride and don't actually add it anymore but I live in London where the water is rumoured to go through 10 people before it gets to you so...

I've literally had one spot since giving up wheat, soy, veg oils and tap water... and that was over Christmas when I was indulging in everything.

- Ray Peat

little vase is offline Senior Member
    Ayla and valmason - hi,
    Yep, all soap has lye in it. Some soap manufacturers will skirt the issue by telling you there is no lye in the soap when you get it, which is "technically" true...the lye is no longer lye. But there was lye used to make it. It's still in the soap, it's just been chemically changed into something else by heat. Soap can't be made without lye or one of its aliases, I'm sorry to say. The lye starts the saponification process, which turns the ingredients you use (usually a caustic like lye, and a fat) into soap.

Sodium hydroxide is another name for lye and it's used to make all bar soap, whether homemade or manufactured. Potassium hydroxide is also called caustic potash, and it's used to make soft soap. So all soap has either hydroxide in it, and both are caustic and that's why they dry your skin out and burn your eyes. Nasty stuff! I have to wear goggles and safety gloves to make soap.

Read this, it's short and to the point. Soaps With No Lye?

Just another reason I'm trying to find alternatives for body washing in the shower! If I really can't I'll just switch to baths

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    hmm well that sucks.

That is kinda crazy you need to use that safety gear to make soap, but then people are allowed to wash themselves with it

I too want an alternative. That really makes me mad

Oh well no more soap for me.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast