Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Bye bye cosmetics! Learning about skin and hair pH. page 2

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Yes, and you are doing a lot more than I do.

I'm currently doing a baking soda paste one day a week (haven't tried the cassia/neem yet) with a coconut oil condition if needed, and i'm looking at adding the honey/coconut oil mixture for lightening (instead of cassia), and i do the odd vinegar rinse.

For skin, basic oil cleansing with coconut oil. I find that I don't need the toning/etc. And sometimes I do a honey mask.

And, you know, make your own make up.

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    Yes, and you are doing a lot more than I do.

I'm currently doing a baking soda paste one day a week (haven't tried the cassia/neem yet) with a coconut oil condition if needed, and i'm looking at adding the honey/coconut oil mixture for lightening (instead of cassia), and i do the odd vinegar rinse.

For skin, basic oil cleansing with coconut oil. I find that I don't need the toning/etc. And sometimes I do a honey mask.

And, you know, make your own make up.
    A lot of people say that coconut oil makes them break out! What's your skin type Zoe?

It's really interesting how different things work for different people. In the same way that cosmetics companies create different products for different skin types, I think different skin types need to be taken into account when using natural substances.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

No clue what my skin type is. But, it was always oily, and constant massive breakouts on my face, back, and chest in teen years. After 18, no more of those.

I think that oil cleansing will work for most people -- you just have to find the right oil mix for you. And people have a lot of different mixes.

I find that avocado, olive, and coconut all work fine for me. But I haven't tried others. My preference is for avocado because of it's skin healing properties and overall feel. But, my husband feels that it's too expensive just for skin and eats it. And that pisses me off, because I buy it for my skin!

It keeps me from burning, even, and I don't get why he doesn't seem to care about that. LOL

So, the coconut oil is cheap, and that's why I use it. And it works, so no big deal there.

Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    I find that avocado, olive, and coconut all work fine for me. But I haven't tried others. My preference is for avocado because of it's skin healing properties and overall feel. But, my husband feels that it's too expensive just for skin and eats it. And that pisses me off, because I buy it for my skin!
    interesting... maybe I should try avo oil!
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    What do you all think of this?

Daily Consumer Alerts

Is it just an add or not?

Look like an ad!

I'm trying the oil cleansing method now with avocado oil - love it! <3

Nitty Gritty on the Oil Cleansing Method | Crunchy Betty

- Ray Peat

I'm a dude, a bald dude at that, so I don't use much product. Jump out of the shower and my hair is done!

But I have made an effort to switch over to better soaps and toothpaste (without a bunch of dyes and foamers and fizzers; no fluoride in the toothpaste) and crystal deodorant (works MUCH better anyway).

I've tried to get Mrs. FW to follow suit, but she's attached to her products.

Two observations.

1. Coconut oil. I burned my forearm and hand in various cooking mishaps, and having coconut oil handy put some on. No blistering, very quick healing, really didn't hurt at all. FWIW.

2. I've always had pretty acute sense of smell, but we switched to one of those natural, unscented clothing detergents, and now everyone smells really weird. When I'm jogging, people running past gag me with the smell of their detergent-scented clothes. I sat behind someone in church the other week and the smell of her detergent played havoc with my head.

OK, three.

3. Why do we need Febreeze and all these plug-in deodorizers and such? I do not trust that alchemy of chemicals. If you stink that much, you've got problems. I'll concede usage of a candle when the dog is flatulent, but to the larger point of beauty and hygiene products and cleaning products jacking up our lives with unwanted crap, I'm with ya, ladies.

Avocado oil is pretty miraculous.

When I use(d) it, the first time was on a sunburn. I got a major one, and that night, I put avocado oil on it. The next day, it's like there wasn't a burn there at all (not even the color!).

What I later learned was that avocado oil helps your skin protect itself against sun damage. I don't know how it does this -- but there are articles across the web about it, as well as lots of n=1. Some people don't even wear any sunscreen when using ago oil daily.

I use sunscreen in the summer under direct exposure (10-3), but otherwise don't . . . and usually stay out of the sun then anyway (or am covered up instead of sunscreen). But I think avocado would provide much more protection for me over time, and I'm rather bothered that my husband is inhibiting me. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Cryptocode View Post
    What do you all think of this?

Daily Consumer Alerts

Is it just an add or not?
    Mary, an ordinary mom of three from Camp Hill, Pennsylvania...

I am literally 5 minutes from Camp Hill. I think I'll go for a drive and look for Mary!

Here's a tell: check out the comments. If this were legit, you'd expect a mix of comments, maybe mostly good, a few naysayers. But EVERY SINGLE PERSON is amazed and blissful! It's a miracle!

So, the miracle cream not only repairs the skin but also tightens it? What, like hemorrhoid cream?!

vintageeats is offline Member
    Ladies, this is awesome! I too have cut way down on make-up - literally takes me five minutes to put my face on in the morning. It's unlikely that I'll totally give it up, but paring back can be a good thing. I'm also washing my hair every other day or so. Being low-maintenance is where it's at. I've also given thought to making my own cosmetics - a la beet juice for lip/cheek stain. Anybody doing this?

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast