Limited Time: Grab your FREE Box of Dark Chocolate Almond Bars Get Yours>>Close
Open
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Not sure if it's for me??

Hybrid View

Not sure if it's for me??

I really like the idea of eating closer to the way our ancestors did...am I to conclude that Primal eaters will eat a small amount of 'breadlike' products if nut flours like coconut flour, or almond flour are used instead of wheat flour? Also, after looking through the recipes (they look delish!) I noticed the calories for some are VERY high! If I'm trying to eat around 12-1400 calories/day and I eat 600 at breakfast (steak & pepper frittata) that kinda seems like I'm eating reeeeeeaaaaally light for the rest of the day. Yes? Having 'asked' that...I'm loving all the new education I am getting since recently beginning the journey of living healthy/authentic/natural!!

Quote Originally Posted by WCShell View Post
    I really like the idea of eating closer to the way our ancestors did...am I to conclude that Primal eaters will eat a small amount of 'breadlike' products if nut flours like coconut flour, or almond flour are used instead of wheat flour?
    Some of us do this often, some of us on very rare occasion, and I'm sure some never. The whold primal thing is more of a guideline than anything black and white, with some exceptions (e.g. things that are clearly black & white).

Quote Originally Posted by WCShell
    Also, after looking through the recipes (they look delish!) I noticed the calories for some are VERY high! If I'm trying to eat around 12-1400 calories/day and I eat 600 at breakfast (steak & pepper frittata) that kinda seems like I'm eating reeeeeeaaaaally light for the rest of the day. Yes? Having 'asked' that...I'm loving all the new education I am getting since recently beginning the journey of living healthy/authentic/natural!!
    Why are you trying to eat so very little? I'd direct you to read this if you're enjoying education:Do calories matter? The Eating Academy | Peter Attia, M.D. The Eating Academy | Peter Attia, M.D.

Eat when hungry. Good plan! lol!! I've cut sugar out of my diet recently...well, trying to. Just don't quite get the sugar vs honey thing. One person says our bodies read honey like sugar, other sources say it's natural, so use it comfortably (in moderation, I would guess)

I'd say just commit and try it for one month. In one month, you'll know if it's working, and if it's something you find sustainable for the long term.

FWIW, I don't try to use substitutes so I can have bread products. I just do without them or if I really, really, really want something that would normally be made with wheat, I just have it. I haven't had bread since I went primal, but I have had pasta a few times.

Also on Primal I don't count calories. I eat when I'm hungry. I stop when I'm full. And I lose weight anyway. Not all people have success that way, but you might find that the strict calorie counting you've been doing on the SAD won't be necessary on the PB.
    High Weight: 225
    Weight at start of Primal: 189
    Current Weight: 174
    Goal Weight: 130

Primal Start Date: 11/26/2012

Quote Originally Posted by EagleRiverDee View Post
    FWIW, I don't try to use substitutes so I can have bread products. I just do without them or if I really, really, really want something that would normally be made with wheat, I just have it. I haven't had bread since I went primal, but I have had pasta a few times.
    Same here. I don't even really label myself paleo or primal at all - I find I enjoy myself a lot more when I eat better most of the time but don't sweat the instances when I don't. I realize this isn't possible for people with real issues with gluten/lactose intolerance, etc. I'm just not one of those so I'm "lucky" that I can eat "normally" when certain situations seem to require it. Take last night for instance, superbowl party. I brought wings, awesome, delicious, spicy primal wings - no weird oils, nothing but good old grass fed butter. However, you better believe I ate a slice of pizza and had a brownie later that night, as well as two beers. I don't even consider those things as "falling off the wagon" because I'm not on a wagon. I KNOW pizza, brownies and beers are horrible from a nutritional standpoint, but guess what? I don't care to eat perfectly all the time, I don't feel it's at all necessary. Just reduce the amount of junk foods you eat, choose better most of the time and don't worry about perfection. You will notice that you feel better, and you may want to naturally eat closer to perfect, and that's absolutely fine, but you may also notice that you don't feel terrible when you don't.

That being said, 80% of the time, just about everything I eat are whole foods with minimal processing. There's no way that "can't be" for you.
    I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

OK...I read the article...understood some of it...(should have paid attention in chemistry class....) I think it's saying the type of calories we eat + how our body burns them is the key. Eating healthy allows our bodies to use their energy (calories) effectively and won't store as fat. So...if we're eating right, exercising regularly, we should be able to eat more calories. Yes? So...I'm working out 3-4 times per week, eating a healthy diet, very much like Primal/Paleo. I currently weight 145 at 5'5"...But would like to trade some fat for muscle. suggested calories???

OK...I read the article...understood some of it...(should have paid attention in chemistry class....) I think it's saying the type of calories we eat + how our body burns them is the key. Eating healthy allows our bodies to use their energy (calories) effectively and won't store as fat. So...if we're eating right, exercising regularly, we should be able to eat more calories. Yes? So...I'm working out 3-4 times per week, eating a healthy diet, very much like Primal/Paleo. I currently weight 145 at 5'5"...But would like to trade some fat for muscle. suggested calories???
    The point of the article is that you're not a bomb calorimeter, you're a person with a far more complex metabolic system. That what you eat will influence your appetite. That what you eat will influence your energy expenditure. I know some people here feel that counting calories is necessary for them, but there are also many of us who have been able to re-discover a functioning metabolism that allows us to eat when hungry, as user EagleRiverDee suggested. I hope your experience is the latter. But I wouldn't start doing Primal and starvation at the same time, which is what your original suggestion sounds like to me.

Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    The point of the article is that you're not a bomb calorimeter, you're a person with a far more complex metabolic system. That what you eat will influence your appetite. That what you eat will influence your energy expenditure. I know some people here feel that counting calories is necessary for them, but there are also many of us who have been able to re-discover a functioning metabolism that allows us to eat when hungry, as user EagleRiverDee suggested. I hope your experience is the latter. But I wouldn't start doing Primal and starvation at the same time, which is what your original suggestion sounds like to me.

I'm definitely NOT doing starvation. I eat smaller meals more often and try to make healthy choices. I drink lots of water, use supplementation and work out. Just trying to lose those 'last 10 lbs'. 1200 calories seems to be a very popular suggested intake. I'm HAPPY to eat more!! Obviously the choices are key...so more research for me!

I'm definitely NOT doing starvation. I eat smaller meals more often and try to make healthy choices. I drink lots of water, use supplementation and work out. Just trying to lose those 'last 10 lbs'. 1200 calories seems to be a very popular suggested intake. I'm HAPPY to eat more!! Obviously the choices are key...so more research for me!
    How many "smaller meals more often"? And have you ever read about or considered working out in fasted states? Not necessary to fast more than your normal overnight sleep-awaken-work out-bathe-eat (or eat then bathe). I'm thinking not serious Primal I.F.ing since you're new to Primal, but normal fasted workouts before breakfast. 10 lbs isn't much, but for some folks those "last 10 lbs" as you put it, can be quite challenging...

Watch these if you care to see what science says about this & some personal anecdotes as well:
    http://www.emaxhealth.com/1020/study-fasting-stimulates-hgh-good-heart-and-ov...
    FitnessBlackBook.com:http://fitnessblackbook.com/main/human-growth-hormone-hgh-breaking-down-a-few...
    Working out in a fasted state ab video Get 6 Pack Abs 33% Faster with This Simple Trick ! - YouTube
    Last edited by Betorq; 02-05-2013 at 11:45 PM.
    "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
    "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
    "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown

I also suggest reading the book; Mark goes into why eating small, frequent meals is harder on your body because of the constant effort of digestion (also why you often lose your appetite when you're sick - your body wants all the energy to go to fighting the illness). Plus, when you become fat adapted, you won't be getting hunger pains every few hours when your glycogen stores are depleted. I find myself naturally fasting on mornings where I didn't work out the night before because I'm just not really hungry (I train Brazilian jiu jitsu and classes are in the evenings after work, so I almost never train in a fasted state, except the occasional Saturday morning). In fact, on those days, I will frequently have really good energy and feel wide awake, and it's only when I eat something that my energy wanes (minimally, briefly). However, what's best for losing the last ten pounds, IDK. Not the person to ask...YET! But I'm guessing eating small meals frequently isn't it.
    29/F
    5'4.5
    Highest weight: 220
    Starting weight: 195
    Current weight: 179
    Goal weight: 127