Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Not sure if it's for me?? page 2

WCShell is offline Junior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    The point of the article is that you're not a bomb calorimeter, you're a person with a far more complex metabolic system. That what you eat will influence your appetite. That what you eat will influence your energy expenditure. I know some people here feel that counting calories is necessary for them, but there are also many of us who have been able to re-discover a functioning metabolism that allows us to eat when hungry, as user EagleRiverDee suggested. I hope your experience is the latter. But I wouldn't start doing Primal and starvation at the same time, which is what your original suggestion sounds like to me.

I'm definitely NOT doing starvation. I eat smaller meals more often and try to make healthy choices. I drink lots of water, use supplementation and work out. Just trying to lose those 'last 10 lbs'. 1200 calories seems to be a very popular suggested intake. I'm HAPPY to eat more!! Obviously the choices are key...so more research for me!

Betorq is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WCShell View Post
    I'm definitely NOT doing starvation. I eat smaller meals more often and try to make healthy choices. I drink lots of water, use supplementation and work out. Just trying to lose those 'last 10 lbs'. 1200 calories seems to be a very popular suggested intake. I'm HAPPY to eat more!! Obviously the choices are key...so more research for me!
    How many "smaller meals more often"? And have you ever read about or considered working out in fasted states? Not necessary to fast more than your normal overnight sleep-awaken-work out-bathe-eat (or eat then bathe). I'm thinking not serious Primal I.F.ing since you're new to Primal, but normal fasted workouts before breakfast. 10 lbs isn't much, but for some folks those "last 10 lbs" as you put it, can be quite challenging...

Watch these if you care to see what science says about this & some personal anecdotes as well:
    http://www.emaxhealth.com/1020/study-fasting-stimulates-hgh-good-heart-and-ov...
    FitnessBlackBook.com:http://fitnessblackbook.com/main/human-growth-hormone-hgh-breaking-down-a-few...
    Working out in a fasted state ab video Get 6 Pack Abs 33% Faster with This Simple Trick ! - YouTube
    Last edited by Betorq; 02-05-2013 at 11:45 PM.
    "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
    "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
    "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown

cantat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WCShell View Post
    I also suggest reading the book; Mark goes into why eating small, frequent meals is harder on your body because of the constant effort of digestion (also why you often lose your appetite when you're sick - your body wants all the energy to go to fighting the illness). Plus, when you become fat adapted, you won't be getting hunger pains every few hours when your glycogen stores are depleted. I find myself naturally fasting on mornings where I didn't work out the night before because I'm just not really hungry (I train Brazilian jiu jitsu and classes are in the evenings after work, so I almost never train in a fasted state, except the occasional Saturday morning). In fact, on those days, I will frequently have really good energy and feel wide awake, and it's only when I eat something that my energy wanes (minimally, briefly). However, what's best for losing the last ten pounds, IDK. Not the person to ask...YET! But I'm guessing eating small meals frequently isn't it.
    29/F
    5'4.5
    Highest weight: 220
    Starting weight: 195
    Current weight: 179
    Goal weight: 127

gjfatkri is offline Junior Member
    don't feel terrible when you don't.

smalot is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    All I can say is give it a go for 30 days. Don't count calories (yes I know it's hard) just listen to your body.

I was a real skeptic and thought paleo was a load of garbage. I decided to do it on a whim one day and have been amazed by the results. What's 30 days? Just try it and see if it's for you or not.

Good Luck
    Doing my 30 day paleo challenge right now
    www.everydaypaleosolution.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12