Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What do you do to relieve stress during winter? page 2

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    And plants, indoor plants. I pick the ones that bloom in the winter, like ziggo cactus, and taking care of 'em is one of my weekend most pleasing moments. I am sure people in your area would love to give you cuttings and old pots. I know I share once in a while ... Big stores also have sales often on the plants that finished blooming. I just had an orchid open up that I picked for a buck at Rona, and I have at least five $1 miniature roses in my garden that stopped blooming, lost their leaves, as appropriate and then started growing like champs.

You can also start herbs and put together amazing displays in like an old fish tank. One of these days when I master orchids that's what I am gonna do. A fish tank of orchids.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

OneDeltaTenTango is offline Senior Member
    Get outside and talk a walk especially mid day. I can't be that unpleasant all the time. For me, once I overcome the enertia and get out the door, it is all worth it. A little bit like a yoga practice at home: If you just get on the mat, even for a little bit, you will likely stay on the mat and do a somewhat worthwhile session. Push yourself to take the first step; the second step is easier.

sarahelyse is offline Member
    Thanks for all the suggestions, everyone!!

I crashed and burned Monday night (crying, panicking, etc) and decided to apply for jobs. And it helped. (Maybe I won't spend my whole life in grad school...) I'm hoping I can try some of these techniques you guys suggested before I get to the crash and burn part again.

Kenai homesteader is offline Junior Member
    Sara,
    I noticed a pattern to the suggestions you recieved everyone who lives farther north than you suggested get outside and as an Alaskan I do too! Getting outside is one of the best ways to bet stress. "Cabin fever" is more uncomfortable than the weather outside. Blundle up, wear layers and get out and enjoy yourself. It will help your mood more than indoor stuff. We need the great outdoors.

Khaleesi is offline Member
    Some good luvin is an amazing stress reliever.

Will8801 is offline Junior Member
    Meditation has changed my life.

Check out Meditation | Mindfulness | Guided Meditation | Stress Management | Andy Puddicombe | Headspace

It's cheap and easy to follow and you get a different guided meditation every day

lorichka6 is offline Senior Member
    I went to grad school in Amherst, MA. Spent my first winter avoiding going outside - worked in a basement lab, went to the gym (in my building)... The only time I got outside was to walk to classes really It sucked.

The next winter I figured I'd better embrace winter. I got some cheap x cntry skis at Goodwill, found a friend with an extra pair of snowshoes, played broomball on the local pond... All in all I just got out. Join a local hiking club and find people who like to spend time outside in the winter - it isn't really so bad And lots of people who do this stuff have extra gear around because they turn into gear junkies (I wouldn't know anything about this...) - so even if you don't have the right gear you don't need to go and buy it on your own.

Another option is meetup.com. When I first moved to UPSNY I joined a hiking group and it was a great way to guarantee I got myself out the door and into the mountains. Lots of the activities I like my work/school friends dont' do - so I end up going alone through other organizations - meetup, ADK, the local swing dancing groups, etc.

Anyway, good luck, the winter doldrums aren't fun

EagleRiverDee is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lorichka6 View Post
    Another option is meetup.com. When I first moved to UPSNY I joined a hiking group and it was a great way to guarantee I got myself out the door and into the mountains. Lots of the activities I like my work/school friends dont' do - so I end up going alone through other organizations - meetup, ADK, the local swing dancing groups, etc.
    I second Meetup. I discovered it this past summer and joined a couple outdoors groups and I've gotten out a LOT more and had a lot of fun that way. I even did a couple overnight backpacking trips last year with an all-ladies hiking group and that was a lot of fun and something I hadn't done in years.
    High Weight: 225
    Weight at start of Primal: 189
    Current Weight: 174
    Goal Weight: 130

Primal Start Date: 11/26/2012

Legbiter is offline Senior Member
    I used to just do stuff with my girlfriend (light cardio indoor excercise) and just generally socialize when the howling ice storms made the outdoors suicidal.

Your problem is not weather related. You need a good social connection.
    Last edited by Legbiter; 02-08-2013 at 05:04 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12