Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Weird cracks in my hands; is it Satan? page 4

LauraSB is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    I had the same little cuts about a month ago. I thought I must be doing it during the day and then just not noticing until the next morning. Then after a couple of weeks it just stopped. My hands aren't particularly dry either, even though the air in the house is pretty dry this time of year.
    50yo, 5'3"
    SW-195
    CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
    GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member
    sorry Mama Grok - I didn't mean to aid in the digression of this thread. I think that you are an amazing woman and what you have achieved is incredible.

I too get cuts over night, however it is usually DHs nasty sharp toenails, or Billie the Bast--d.
    He is one of our cats who sleeps on the bed and dreams of catching critters and attacks my hands, feet, etc... when I move in bed. These scratches don't often wake me up, by I am adamant that he is the cause.................
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Perfidy View Post
    I bet that it's a plastic tag-loop leftover thing on a pillow-case
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Perfidy View Post
    I think an external, foreign object is a more likely explanation than a geometric bio-chemical reaction limited to one tiny spot on your body nowhere near any glands or organs or anything.
    Reasonable thought, but no, no plastic anywhere near anything on the bed. It does look just like an external paper cut. There were also one or two times it happened while I was awake, and just looked over and noticed blood dripping from an abrasion I never felt. Again, always on the back of my hands, usually on fingers.

Maybe those 100% organic cotton sheets I ordered are actually made of fiberglass.

Quote Originally Posted by quelsen View Post
    Old wounds rehealing... I have had some of these happen in places i know are the sites of old injuries.they go away fairly quickly and are mostly on my hands and arms.
    Yes, I remember you saying that! Nice theory. I can't think of anything to tie it to in my past, but it is certainly interesting.
    Quote Originally Posted by quelsen View Post
    Or it could be the best way the body knows on how to release some toxin?
    That's what my gut wants to say. It makes intuitive sense, but I'm not sure about the actual physiological mechanism. B/c of this thought, I'm careful not to touch it, especially with how easily they get very slightly infected and start dripping. I'm using betadine to try to keep it from getting bad. Fortunately there's never been more than one at a time, to date.

Quote Originally Posted by NZ primal Gwamma View Post
    sorry Mama Grok - I didn't mean to aid in the digression of this thread.
    Admittedly easy to do with something that seems so bizarre! And thank you for the kind words.
    Last edited by MamaGrok; 02-05-2013 at 06:59 PM.
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

kattywampus is offline Junior Member
    I've seen thinning skin listed as a symptom of hyperthyroid.... and you're taking thyroid medicines. Possible connection?

Thinning skin is also a side effect of steroid use, which might explain the frequency of the subject coming up on body builder forums.

IDK; what is thinning skin like? Paper thin like my grandma? Not at all. My skin is resilient (springs right back with pinch test), soft, and smooth.

Mr.Perfidy is offline Senior Member
    picz
    "Ah, those endless forests, and their horror-haunted gloom! For what eternities have I wandered through them, a timid, hunted creature, starting at the least sound, frightened of my own shadow, keyed-up, ever alert and vigilant, ready on the instant to dash away in mad flight for my life. For I was the prey of all manner of fierce life that dwelt in the forest, and it was in ecstasies of fear that I fled before the hunting monsters."

Jack london, "Before Adam"

SeaHorse is offline Senior Member
    Reminds me of a childhood friend who after school got a job behind a juice counter. Some 30 years ago, in Soviet times we didn't have so many things that would be obvious now, like rubber gloves. So the juice counter with leaking containers was always flooding with different natural fruit juices - apple, plum, peach, pear, tomatoe - and the staff had to clean it with small pieces of cloth. The cloth was rinsed and reused for days, always wet in juice or water. And after short time her hands looked like she was a sad emo cutting her hands with a big knife. She had at least 20 deep cuts on each palm of her hands and some on the backs of hands. She tried everything available (not much) in pharmacy but nothing helped. And then all of a sudden hands were perfect! Shyly she confessed that as a last resource she had tried her aunts advice, something that she was told the old time Russian princesses did to keep their hands soft and nice: pee on them. Not that awful kind of urinotherapy that makes one throw up just to mention, that came into weirdo's fashion a bit later. Sure, she did wash her hands afterwards. And also changed that job as soon as possible.
    And then one lady got really bad cut hands when she tried to clean 500 m2 house all alone. She was a nurse, accustomed to frequent washing her hands but this was bit too much. The cause was too much water and some cleaning chemicals.
    Those were not allergies, rather like mechanical.
    Maybe you also have done some excessive washing recently? Or have new dishwasher/ clothes washing soap?

Great stories!

No, I don't wash my hands much at all, and almost never use soap on them. My dish & clothes washing soaps are the same they've been for years, and are almost entirely chemical-free. (Allen's naturally, washing soda, baking soda, etc.) I use no personal care products or other chemicals on my body at all.

And, to my knowledge, have not been bathing in lemon juice. Epsom salts, yes, lol, but that's nothing new.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    What do you do during the day?

I do a fair amount of hiking and I often do not notice the cuts I have until later when they are scabbed.

Long ago I used to work for a florist and certain flowers would lead my palms and fingers to have painful cracks, mainly chrysanthemums and marigolds. I understand that those flowers have a natural pyrethrum pesticide. I also would get a lot of cuts from roses that I wouldn't notice on the backs of my hands (and plenty that I DID notice on my palms and fingers.)

If you do any gardening you could be getting small cuts from the plants in your garden or reacting to the chemicals in the plant.

Just a random idea, you could have a short bit of nylon thread sticking out in a pants pocket or elsewhere.

Finally, could it be hangnails? Like such small hangnails there is no tag of skin, just a cut?
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

No gardening. No flower or pesticide handling. I hike about once a month, but these come up new every 1-2 days. I definitely know what you mean by the cuts of blackberries & such while hiking that you might not notice till later.

Most days I cook and clean (with water & cotton rags, not chemicals or detergents or microfiber) and homeschool and don't go outside at all (and wish I had) and still wake up with a painful cut in th emorning that wasn't there the night before.

I don't wear anything but pure cotton to bed, and almost never anything synthetic during the day, either.

The cuts are never near my cuticles. I used to get bad hangnails (pre-diet change). These are usuallyon th eback of my hand, or the creases of my finger joints, or sometimes in between the creases. Once in the quick of a nail bed. That was the only one anywhere near my fingernails.

Strange, isn't it? It would make sense to be from an external irritant, but I just can't think of anything, which is why I have to lean toward an internal, health-related, source.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast