Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why does cheese halt weight loss/make one gain but Whey and yogurt do not? page

candy corn is offline Member

Why does cheese halt weight loss/make one gain but Whey and yogurt do not?

Primal Fuel
    I've noticed when I eat cheese my weight loss comes to a screeching and if i eat it over an extended period i gain weight, and this doesn't come from eating in addition to other things. I take out other things to make room for the cheese consumption. Whereas I can consume a whey and cups of yogurt for weeks on end and weight loss goes without a hitch even when i add it to my regular caloric intake.

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    Casein intolerance? Additives? Not fermented enough for your body's personal needs?
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

whitebear is offline Senior Member
    Never had a problem with cheese other than it's easy to eat too much of it.

Him
    Him is offline Senior Member
    Last month I ate about 8lbs of cheese and lost about 8 pounds so I don't think cheese is necessarily a weight loss killer.

It does have about twice the calories of lean meat IIRC so you gotta be careful with quantity. OTOH for whatever reason I generally don't WANT to eat much more than a pound of cheese in a day, and that's under 1900kcal...not unreasonable for a guy who is at least moderately active.

ChocoTaco369 is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by candy corn View Post
    I've noticed when I eat cheese my weight loss comes to a screeching and if i eat it over an extended period i gain weight, and this doesn't come from eating in addition to other things. I take out other things to make room for the cheese consumption. Whereas I can consume a whey and cups of yogurt for weeks on end and weight loss goes without a hitch even when i add it to my regular caloric intake.
    Because of one reason only - calories.

Whey and yogurt are almost entirely protein with some carbohydrate and fat. It isn't calorically dense (unless you're pounding full fat Greek yogurt, which is almost like pounding sour cream). You can eat a lot reduced fat yogurt, cottage cheese and the like because it's protein with low levels of fat and carbohydrate, so there isn't anything to store as fat. I typically buy 0% Greek yogurt and mix it with fruit so I can have a big bowl of something as a snack and not have it lead to weight gain, and since I'm consuming mostly all protein, if I do go overboard it generally goes more to muscle than fat.

Cheese is almost all fat. Fat is the easiest macronutrient stored as fat, and it is easy to pound hundreds of calories of cheese. It is nearly effortless. You need to consume less calories than your body needs to lose weight, and cheese is one of the easiest ways to add fat calories to our diet. The only thing worse are nuts and straight up oil to halt weight loss.

I'm guessing it would be a challenge to eat a 20oz sirloin steak to get 1,000 calories. It would be a challenge to eat a dozen eggs in a sitting to get 1,000 calories. I'm guessing it would be impossible for you to eat 1,000 calories of fruit or vegetables in a sitting, since 5 lbs of apples or 7 lbs of broccoli would probably not be very appetizing. I'd have to eat over half a gallon of the Trader Joe's 0% Greek yogurt I buy to get those 1,000 calories. But it would probably be easy to eat a simple 8oz block of cheddar in a sitting if you wanted to. It's all the same to your body in terms of weight.
    Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 02-04-2013 at 08:30 AM.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    A serving of cheese is one square inch. I don't know about you, but one square inch of cheese simply is not enough. One square inch of cheese is equivalent to about 4 or 5 square inches of full-fat yogurt. Yogurt has more water in it.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

ChocoTaco369 is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    A serving of cheese is one square inch. I don't know about you, but one square inch of cheese simply is not enough. One square inch of cheese is equivalent to about 4 or 5 square inches of full-fat yogurt. Yogurt has more water in it.
    Yep. Much more calories, and a much different fatrotein ratio. Yogurt is protein heavy, cheese is fat heavy. It makes a big difference in composition.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    Hey Choco dude. I pour fat on my breakfast every morning, a 1/4C full, and it doesn't make me gain weight. When I don't do this, I crave food all day long, and *then* I gain weight.

Calories aren't the whole story.

But yes, it's easy to eat a lot of cheese, compared to other protein- & nutrient-rich foods, for some reason. Especially grocery store cheese. I can't pig out like that on my farmer's raw cheddar, for whatever reason.

That said, I can EASILY down a quart of yogurt, any kind (plain, 24hr fermented, nonfat, full fat, doesn't matter). Any time of day. I choose not to anymore, but I can easily do it and would keep on doing it. I would imagine I could easily down a half gallon in one sitting. It's not just the high fat content of cheese that makes it easy to eat, or the lower water content.
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

OneDeltaTenTango is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Him View Post
    Last month I ate about 8lbs of cheese and lost about 8 pounds
    could this be the start of a series of "cheese hack" threads? Eat MOAR cheese? Let's hope not. My addiction to the stuff is already bad enough!

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I have to agree that within the context of calories, cheese could stall you if you're substituting oz for oz instead of calorie for calorie.

Ut-oh: Eat MOAR Cheese. Now that's an eating plan for me if it worked.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast