Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Why does cheese halt weight loss/make one gain but Whey and yogurt do not? page 5

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Fruits have lots of glucose that will raise your blood sugar, but you must be very sensitive if only one piece is enough to create a spike though! OK, one piece of Papaya may spike even my blood sugar, maybe...

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    Yes, I am. I was when I was eating 300+gm whole foods carb a day and still am now when it's the dead of winter and I have almost none. Very annoying.
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

zilog is offline Senior Member
    since I'm consuming mostly all protein, if I do go overboard it generally goes more to muscle than fat.
    are you saying that excess calories from protein go towards building muscle rather than getting stored as fat?

Wulf is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MamaGrok View Post
    I pour fat on my breakfast every morning, a 1/4C full, and it doesn't make me gain weight. When I don't do this, I crave food all day long, and *then* I gain weight.
    True story. When I have bulletproof coffee in the morning, it greatly suppresses food cravings the rest of the day.
    (1/2 - 3/4 stick of butter blended in)

Quote Originally Posted by zilog View Post
    are you saying that excess calories from protein go towards building muscle rather than getting stored as fat?
    afaik there is only so much protein your body needs, and when you have an excess of it, it gets converted or excreted. Eating more protein does not automatically mean muscle building, and it very well can be converted to fat for storage, if your body does not have need of it as protein. Protein is preferable to carbs, but there are definitely issues to be had with too much protein.

Quote Originally Posted by Wulf View Post
    True story. When I have bulletproof coffee in the morning, it greatly suppresses food cravings the rest of the day.
    (1/2 - 3/4 stick of butter blended in)
    Hmmm, let me see here; 3/4 stick of butter = 766 calories, the same amount as 10 large eggs! If I eat 10 large eggs and drink some black coffee then I will also greatly suppress foodcravings, don't you think?

And choosing between 10 large eggs and black coffee and bulletproof coffee only, I would rather go for the first option...

primal_alex is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    Protein, especially Whey is the insulinogenic part in milk to my knowlegde, lactose like fructose doesent spike insulin at all...
    Caseins are insulinogenic too:

On Dairy and Insulin | Mark's Daily Apple

3/4 stick = 600 calories, BUT I have found the butter to be much more filling / appetite-suppressing than eggs.
    I can eat 6 eggs at a time, but they WILL NOT fill me up or cut my hunger like the butter will.

Quote Originally Posted by Wulf View Post
    3/4 stick = 600 calories, BUT I have found the butter to be much more filling / appetite-suppressing than eggs.
    I can eat 6 eggs at a time, but they WILL NOT fill me up or cut my hunger like the butter will.
    Yes, I miscalculated assuming butter was pure fat, but anyway 600 calories in 3/4 stick of butter or the same as 8 large eggs, that's still a lot of food!

I love eggs a lot, but I am never hungry in the mornings so I don't like to actually eat when I get up. The butter coffee gets calories in without seeming like eating, and it's just my experience that it is much more long-term filling than eggs. For the sake of cost and convenience, I would not do more than 1/2 stick (400 calories), so that one pack of butter gives 8 servings and it's not calorie overkill either. Honestly I don't have butter coffee very often, as I haven't been having problems with late-day cravings recently, as long as I don't have any restaurant food and just bring my own food to work.

On topic: I love cheese, and I still eat that along with cream cheese and sour cream, but I don't drink milk. I started eating along the Atkins lines before I got more into Paleo, and those things align with lower carbs. I tried to look for a not-non-fat greek yogurt at the store yesterday and it seems to not exist. And almost all the yogurts have huge amounts of sugar, except the "carb master" which I don't trust because I think it's just a bunch of weird fillers. The one whole-fat yogurt is also full of sugar. The greek yogurt I usually get for my husband is 0g fat, which I don't like, so I don't eat it myself. I feel that I'm getting in line with Paleo in that, if it doesn't have fat, it doesn't qualify as real food. Good news is, the chain grocery store finally has a sale on Kefir but it too is fruit flavored and full of sugar.... It's a mine field out there.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Since Greek yogurt is a fad these days I stay away from it. I get goat or sheep yogurt or I get Wallaby yogurt. Two ingredients: milk and culture.

As for cheese, it's best with wine, which only makes it even more fattening. (goes to get another piece of cheese and another glass of wine.)
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast