Thread: Polycystic Ovaries page

PrimalJasper is offline Junior Member

Polycystic Ovaries

Shop Now
    Hi All,

My friend has skin tags, dark areas on her skin near her neck and weight around her middle and she is becoming increasingly depressed for no known reason. After visiting the GP she was told that this looks like insulin resistance and it could also mean that she has polycystic ovaries and that she may want to get that checked too. She is around 30 years old now and the prospect of children (currently has none) weighs heavy on her mind with regards to the above.

The GP said the best way to clear it up is to loose weight but he also acknowledged that loosing weight may be a huge challenge because it is like catch 22 - very difficult to loose weight in her condition, but loosing weight will fix her condition.

Naturally, I totally believe the answer is to go primal but before helping her I want to make sure I advise her correctly and safely.

Do any of you have experience in the above issues and have any do's-don'ts, safe limits of carbs etc. for helping her loose weight safely, steadily and without causing her to crash into depression (she has a high stress job).

She is a regular Gym goer, and I have already persuaded her to cut the sweeteners completely, drop coffee to one a day but she still likes the oats and wheat!

She knows I became free of my depression and anxiety through going primal so its not a case of persuading her.

Many thanks,

Jasper

After deeper looking, I have noticed a lot of you call this PCOS and thats why i couldnt find it. Sorry - I have never come across this before and I dont mean to repeat topics but any info is still highly valued.

Thanks,

Jasper.
    Last edited by PrimalJasper; 02-04-2013 at 05:56 AM. Reason: P.S.

mks8500 is offline Member
    I was diagnosed with PCOS and insulin resistance about 8 or 9 years ago. I was able to essentially "beat" both and have a child by lowering the carbs specifically. It's much more involved than that, but your friend should definitely check out the book and the forums on here because several women have been diagnosed with the same.

Megan

AyaPapaya is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PrimalJasper View Post
    Hi All,
    Do any of you have experience in the above issues and have any do's-don'ts, safe limits of carbs etc. for helping her loose weight safely, steadily and without causing her to crash into depression (she has a high stress job).

She is a regular Gym goer, and I have already persuaded her to cut the sweeteners completely, drop coffee to one a day but she still likes the oats and wheat!
    I was diagnosed with PCOS a few years ago, and beat the shit out of it with primal living (the proof is in the 5 month old that now runs my life!). Refusing fertility meds is what led me on my quest for self-medicating...and that's when I found this site! Read the book...the rest will follow.

My first focus was eliminating nasty oils, sugar, soy, and wheat - then on from there to eating less of other things: oats, corn, etc. Even starting with just eliminating one thing is beneficial...every little bit helps.

Of course, when you begin, some weight will come off (most likely). While that's great, it's helpful to remember that it is about BOTH things that make the difference: the weight loss combined with the body beginning to heal itself.

If anything, with the exception of a possible couple weeks of carb-flu symptoms, this should do nothing but help her depression and stress levels. Eliminating the ups and downs that I used to get from grains & sugar has definitely helped me handle stress better, and be all-around more mellow and happy.
    "Imagine all the people, living life in peace..."

"Nothing will work unless you do."

Linny is offline Senior Member
    The thing that completely reversed my PCOS was an Atkins type low carb diet. Within 6-8 months I was ovulating regularly, acne gone, weight decreasing. Got pregnant before the year was up.

PrimalJasper is offline Junior Member
    Hi All,

First off: Sorry about the late reply - I really hope I dont come accross as rude or unappreciative.

Secondly: Thank you for your replies. They have installed some confiddence in me and I will try to help my friend using what you have given me.

Thirdly: Just in case it sounds suspect, and I am aware it does, "My friend" isn't a cover for "me". I am male and if I had polycystic ovaries I would need some serious gene reprograming that even primal living might struggle with!

Thanks again all,

Jasper