Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Overcoming BED and EDNOS page 9

Crush is offline Junior Member
    Shop Now
    Hey Tina!

Some things for you to think about and hopefully discuss here (I might have some insights):

What exactly does a binge look and feel like for you, both physically and mentally? What foods do you typically eat, how do you eat them, what makes you stop, and how do you feel before, during, and after a binge?

How are all of these things different from when you just overeat or eat whatever you want, as you mention doing this past weekend?

And how do both of those experiences differ from how you would like to eat on a day to day basis (how you eat on a “good” day)? What exactly is ideal about that way of eating?

Also (and I know that this might be more uncomfortable to discuss) how often do you purge? Why do you think you purge some times and not others? Is purging a very difficult impulse to resist, or is it something that you force yourself to do?

That YogaBare is one smart chick with an awesome journal, and I second the idea of bringing more carbs into your diet. If fruit is a trigger for you, then you could always get your carbs from another source. That does not mean that you should start obsessing about macros, by the way. There are no good or evil macro-nutrients. I hate the carbwars that are constantly raging in the forums (and by “hate,” I mean that I get popcorn and read every post, delighting in all the people posturing and talking right past one another ). But I do think that low carb might be too rough on your body right now as you’re trying to heal from all the restriction you’ve put yourself through.

Tina, I know that you’ve said that you’re not focusing on weight loss at this point, but you need to really, really, REALLY mean that and believe in that and act on that. Only you can say whether or not that’s where your mind and spirit are right now.

ED’s are insidious little bastards that very slowly, day by day, eat away your life. It is extremely common to continue to cling to the ED behaviors that got you results in the past (weight loss) even as you try to recover from the more “distasteful” behaviors (binging). All the while you will promise yourself that you will finally give up all of your ED behaviors for good once you’ve lost the weight.

It never works that way. If you’re restricting (carbs, calories, whatever), then you’re keeping your ED alive and well. You won’t just suddenly be able to kick it to the curb if you get skinny.

Every day that you give in to the fantasy that you can continue to restrict “just for now,” you are losing a day of your life and building more problems for yourself in the future. You haven’t been dealing with this for that long, but believe me, it adds up. Before you know it, you will have pissed away years of your life to a whirlwind of restricting and binging and purging. I don’t want that to happen to you.

I'm not saying that this is what you're doing. Like I said, only you can know that for sure. I do know that you're struggling to find an appropriate amount to eat while dealing with a confused appetite, but you still need to be careful about restriction. So I guess all I’m saying is good luck keeping your head on straight!

Also, good luck with your legal shenanigans. And stop fucking your friends!!! You don’t need any more drama right now.

AND – sorry that I’m apparently incapable of writing anything shorter than a full-length novel

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TinaJefferson View Post
    I like the idea of that very much, but it is still a bit of a trigger food for me. I buy a few pieces of fruit when I go to the store and plan to space them out through the week, but then I eat them all in one sitting. So I'm open to it, certainly, but it's been a struggle getting to that healthy place.
    What would you think of just allowing yourself to eat fruit for a day, if you want it? Honestly, if fruit is a trigger food, that is a big clue that you're not getting enough glucose in your diet.

I think Crush has given you some great advice there too An ED is not the kind of thing you can "willpower" away. Crush, do you have experience with overcoming this kind of thing? And...

Quote Originally Posted by Crush View Post
    That YogaBare is one smart chick with an awesome journal
    Awwww... thank you!! That means a lot. Pop in to say hello anytime
    Last edited by YogaBare; 07-03-2013 at 01:09 AM.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

TinaJefferson is offline Senior Member
    11am- 2 hb eggs
    12:45pm- large romaine salad with chicken and red peppers
    6pm- 2 thin grilled pork chops, 2 large bags green beans

11am-2 hb eggs
    12:45- large romaine salad with chicken, peppers
    7:30-giant cabbage salad, 2 whole eggs scrambled with pesto, about 5 whites with salsa. More salsa and peppers, with a spoon...

I worked out, and feel pretty good.
    Last edited by TinaJefferson; 07-10-2013 at 04:20 AM. Reason: added condiments!

11am- 2 hb eggs
    12:45pm- giant romaine salad, with chicken, peppers, and broccoli salad
    7:30- 1 hb egg, bunch of raw carrots with mustard, some green beans, 2 chicken leg quarters and lots of delicious chicken skin.

worked out, packed a lunch for tomorrow. Not too bad.

I weighed myself at the gym tonight. I've locked my own bathroom scale in a closet, but felt like I should know where I'm standing. I mean it when I say I'm going to focus on behaviors rather than a number. But for the record: 178.6. And even though BMI is bullshit, my BMI at this weight is 23.6, still a "normal weight". So I know that my nebulous panic is rooted in vanity, not health.

I'll continue striving to do things that make me feel good.
    Last edited by TinaJefferson; 07-17-2013 at 04:27 AM. Reason: weight

12:45pm-roast chicken leg quarter, green beans, some carrots
    7:15pm- 9 oz roast dark meat chicken, salsa, 2 bags of coleslaw mix with Asian dressing, 1 hb egg

I worked out tonight, and it felt really good. I definitely prefer a larger evening meal, so though this looks a bit unbalanced, I feel good. I have to work really early, and want to go to bed.

Slightly unrelated...Good god it is hot.

CarbDodger is offline Senior Member
    heats half killing me too. i like your focus on feeling good
    When I'd had enough of the grain and starched based 'diabetic eating for health' diet (eating for health, my ass!) my weight was 242.5 lbs. On starting primal- 18th April 2013 weight : 238.1.
    27th July 2013. weight after 100 days 136.9 weight lost 101.2lb ; that's 105.6lbs since I stopped the 'diabetic eating for health'
    new journal http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ml#post1264082

dilberryhoundog is offline Senior Member
    Hi Tina,
    I have recently overcame an ED (all good so far) I am a male though and didn't have the extra burden of body image. Also the way I solved it was not standard but I will digress my experiences incase there might be some pearls of wisdom for you.

I pretty quickly learned that I was not in a fight. To me it was counter intuitive for my mind to "fight" my mind. A fight implies an adversary, it's not great to have yourself as an adversary of yourself.
    My results started coming when I learnt that I had to work "with" my self. I kinda teamed up with my inner self, to come up with strategies that suited us both (meaning my ED side and my conscious mind). I also worked out that I didn't need to completely eliminate binging from my life, I just needed to control it enough to start seeing results.

I would probably guess that you want to eat an "average" normal diet. Surprisingly you might find that you already are eating average, the down days that you restrict probably average out the binge days your deep mind enforces. So it would be intuitive if you don't want the rollercoaster of up and down days, restrict less and your deep mind won't have to go as far up to average your diet. YB might have already alluded to this.

Some other strategies I do:

Shopping only once a week, first couple of days I'm like a kid in a candy store, yogurt, chocolate, homemade milk drinks, dried fruits etc. I find it really hard to resist going to town on these foods so I don't. At the end of the week my food is running low and I find myself fasting and eating a few wholesome meals only.

Just after eating I try to do stuff where I'm not reminded of food for more than a couple of hours later. This way I don't have to "fight" eating when I'm hungry.

Sent from my iPhone
    A little primal gem - My Success Story
    Weight lost in 4 months - 29kg (64 lbs)

9am- 2 hb eggs
    11:30- 1 egg, 4 egg whites, scrambled with salsa and a bag of green beans
    12:30- bag of frozen blueberries
    2:30 through the rest of the night:a bunch of bacon, 2 (or 3?!?) pork chops, 2 small dishes of collard greens, 1- 1/2 large tubs greek yogurt (about 350 calories worth, probably), 1 organic cheese stick

I resisted the urge to booze, and I went to the gym to lift, so my mindless emotional eating bothers me less. No work today, as evidenced by the wacky eating schedule. I really do better within the perimeters of of an office. How did I not weigh 300lbs when I worked from home?!

11am- 2 hb eggs
    12:30- pork chop and collard greens
    5:30- small pack beef jerky, 4 organic cheese sticks, 1 cup greek yogurt with cinnamon, 2 small glasses of red wine

My sister is coming to visit. Who knows how it will go. Wish me luck and strength and calm!

Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast