Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Overcoming BED and EDNOS page 8

TinaJefferson is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crush View Post
    Happy birthday, Tina! Or if not happy, I hope that it was bearable. At least birthdays only come once a year. Unless, of course, you are one of those people who also celebrates "half-birthdays," in which case... don't do that.
    Thank you! It was a good day in that I went around with a smile on my face and tried to project gooood vibes while at work. I had some treats later, got drunk and then got laid, but honestly, it was better than I expected. So that's good.

Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    Hey Tina,

Not sure if you want comments or feedback on the journal but...

You mentioned your appetite was big yesterday. How is it normally? Do you get cravings?

I have cravings, but it's usually about volume. I want to feel very, very full. Which isn't a good habit to foster. I need to shrink my stomach.

11am- 2 hard boiled eggs
    12:45- large romaine salad with grilled chicken, broccoli salad, banana peppers
    6:30- grilled pork chop, cabbage salad, 3 eggs scrambled with pesto

I overate last night, but didn't make myself fast today. I have vowed to not purge this year. I got my eating disorder when I was 28, and I'm going to beat it at 29.

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TinaJefferson View Post
    I have cravings, but it's usually about volume. I want to feel very, very full. Which isn't a good habit to foster. I need to shrink my stomach.
    Tina, I used to get that feeling of wanting to be full, but now I don't think that's the case. It's kind of complicated, but I think you're eating quite low carb and restricting the macro nutrient is causing all kind of weird reactions in your body. I first developed my ED when I went vegetarian. It got the worst it's ever been when I went low carb.

Is there a health reason you're eating so low carb, or is it because you believe it will help you lose weight?
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Tina, I used to get that feeling of wanting to be full, but now I don't think that's the case. It's kind of complicated, but I think you're eating quite low carb and restricting the macro nutrient is causing all kind of weird reactions in your body. I first developed my ED when I went vegetarian. It got the worst it's ever been when I went low carb.

Is there a health reason you're eating so low carb, or is it because you believe it will help you lose weight?
    Weight loss, all the way. I was successful on Atkins in high school, and lost weight later on South Beach. I did VLC paleo in fall 2012 and got super thin. I'm much more lax with it now, not just because of the binging. I'll have tomatoes, carrots, fruit; I never would have touched those foods previously. I am going to focus on correcting my behavior, not weight loss. I should stabilize and feel better if I do just that.

Quote Originally Posted by TinaJefferson View Post
    Weight loss, all the way. I was successful on Atkins in high school, and lost weight later on South Beach. I did VLC paleo in fall 2012 and got super thin. I'm much more lax with it now, not just because of the binging. I'll have tomatoes, carrots, fruit; I never would have touched those foods previously. I am going to focus on correcting my behavior, not weight loss. I should stabilize and feel better if I do just that.
    When did you start binging? I honestly believe that in many cases it's triggered by hormonal imbalances, blood sugar issues, and nutritional deficiencies. Binging occurs when your body overrides your brain because it desperately needs to be brought back into balance.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

When did you start binging? I honestly believe that in many cases it's triggered by hormonal imbalances, blood sugar issues, and nutritional deficiencies. Binging occurs when your body overrides your brain because it desperately needs to be brought back into balance.
    That's absolutely how it starts. And then it becomes a habit/coping mechanism/compulsion. I don't know exactly when that switch happened for me, but that's how I got here.

I had a good weekend in that I was with people. Bad in that I ate whatever I wanted and drank a lot. But because I had a friend staying with me, I didn't binge like I would have binged otherwise, and I didn't purge, which was really good. I packed a healthy lunch for tomorrow, and I went on a long walk tonight. I would love to be able to go to a spin class tomorrow, but it just won't work with my schedule. All I can do is focus on what I can do, and make the best choice next.

That's great to read!

What I'm trying to say as well, is that to get your body back into balance, you may have to stop the low carb business. If you binge, it may be because you simply need glucose. Would you consider trying to incorporate more fruit into your diet?

- Ray Peat

Would you consider trying to incorporate more fruit into your diet?

I like the idea of that very much, but it is still a bit of a trigger food for me. I buy a few pieces of fruit when I go to the store and plan to space them out through the week, but then I eat them all in one sitting. So I'm open to it, certainly, but it's been a struggle getting to that healthy place.

12:45- roast chicken and cauliflower
    6-2 hard boiled eggs, lots of kale sauteed with mushrooms and garlic

I did a workout video, talked to a friend on the phone, and packed a good lunch. I feel pretty good.

An unrelated public service announcement:
    Don't fuck your friends. :P

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    12:45- roast chicken and cauliflower, small mixed green salad with gross dressing
    6-2 hard boiled eggs
    8:30- giant bowl of broccoli slaw salad. Delicious.

Today was a weird day, but overall, pretty good. I am getting all my ducks in a row to file for driving privileges. If I don't get those, I don't know what I'll do. Wish me luck!

Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast