Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Overcoming BED and EDNOS page 5

TinaJefferson is offline Senior Member
    Well, Thursday night was absolutely crazy and fun. So that's wonderful. TMI, perhaps, but I hooked up with a guy I've had a crush on for ages, and it made me feel good to know that even though I am not very happy with my body, somebody else was. That's shallow and maybe sad, but whatever. I felt better about myself. Less wonderful was my binge on Friday night, very late night, while drunk. Though I can eat anything to excess, this was a 'full on' binge of desserts from 2 different fast food restaurants. I'm going to buy some 'emergency' primal sweet foods to keep in the house. Not trail mix or anything 'dangerous' like that, but some canned pumpkin and coconut flour and stevia. Emergency cake ingredients. I got up really late on Saturday and collected myself. Fasted all day, which was easy considering I was up eating till about 4am. Went for a hike, did some volunteering. Better than wallowing or continuing the binge, right? I had kombucha and coconut water and a wheatgrass shot to fortify myself. Fairly normal day on Sunday.

I am looking forward to the week. I know that I have a good routine down, and binging is a non-issue when I have my fun classes at the gym in the evening. I'll get back to feeling as good as I was last week.

12:45- romaine salad with banana peppers and grilled chicken
    5:30- romaine salad with homemade dressing, roasted chicken leg quarter, 1 hard boiled egg, 1 spicy sausage and some roasted zucchini while I packed my lunch, dish of roasted cauliflower

Weekends are still the big problem. I don't know when exactly it became the norm for me to completely isolate myself. It's amazing and frustrating and saddening. But I know it's a problem, and as I start to feel better in my body, I will take steps to plan things and have more FUN. I'm only 28. I want to make fun a priority.
    Last edited by TinaJefferson; 04-29-2013 at 07:34 PM.

12:00pm- 1 sausage, roast ed zucchini, 2 dill pickles
    8:30pm- Chipotle carnitas salad over a bag of romaine dressed in vinegar

I'm going to try eating breakfast tomorrow. I haven't been hungry for it, but I think I need a little something extra. I'm starting to feel better about my body, and that helps my mood and outlook so much. It could be the new antidepressant. I just had a good day. And being able to recognize that feels great.

7am- 1 serving 2% greek yogurt, 1 hard boiled egg
    12:45pm- 1 spicy sausage, roasted zucchini
    5:30pm- 1 chicken leg quarter, 1 full wing, napa cabbage salad dressed with sesame oil
    6:15pm- 1 hard boiled egg, 2 servings yogurt

Eating breakfast didn't really make a difference at all in how I felt. It was tasty, and kept away any pangs of hunger before lunch, but overall, I was the same. I felt myself slipping into a binge around 6:30, but stopped. I was glad to recognize it and end it at 2 yogurts, not rationalize it away. I have to be better about letting my food settle before deciding to eat more. And no more yogurt. It's a teeny bit of a trigger food for me, and I need to take it easy on myself by calming my environment.

7am- 2 hard boiled eggs
    12:45- steak, roasted cauloflower
    5pm- 1 hard boiled egg
    7pm-12 sauteed shrimp
    8:30- Chipotle chicken salad, bag of romaine with red cabbage

I ate more than i would have liked to today. The shrimp were definitely compulsive. But everything was clean and I did workout, so I'm not going to beat myself up. I have plans for tomorrow night, which should help, and I've attempted to plan the rest of my time. I won't repeat the mistakes I made last weekend. I refuse!

1:00pm- romaine salad with jalapenos and grilled chicken
    8:00pm- romaine salad, pack of tuna

coffee, tea, water

Crush is offline Junior Member
    How have you been doing lately?

It sounds like you were getting to a really good place a couple weeks ago. I love the emphasis you put on having fun (and congrats on an awesome hookup! Ė isnít it amazing how harsh we can be on ourselves when no one else sees us that way?) I just turned 28, too, and I know all too well what itís like to let stupid thoughts stand in the way of getting out and enjoying life. If you happen to have visited Hawaii in the past couple of years and seen some girl walking around in a sweatshirt in 85 degree weather at the beachÖthat might have been me .

I hope things are going okay.

Hi Crush,

It's good to hear from you. Thanks for keeping up with me despite my less than regular posting as of late. I've had some super-shitty off the wagon days in May (6 to be exact), but my mood has been pretty good. It's weird how I can have an all out destructive binge/purge and feel physically terrible, but be pretty 'whatever' about it. I don't know if that's good or bad. I'm sure I've gained some weight back, but I'm not weighing myself, and I'm trying to keep my head up.

The quest for fun is the real deal these days. I need to make it THE priority. I just have to figure out what that means without getting drunk. :P It's difficult to implement actual fun plans or keep stupid thoughts from ruining things. But it's now or never, right?

Do you live in Hawaii, or were you just sweating it out on a vacation?

VacillateWildly is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TinaJefferson View Post
    7am- 1 serving 2% greek yogurt, 1 hard boiled egg
    12:45pm- 1 spicy sausage, roasted zucchini
    5:30pm- 1 chicken leg quarter, 1 full wing, napa cabbage salad dressed with sesame oil
    6:15pm- 1 hard boiled egg, 2 servings yogurt

Eating breakfast didn't really make a difference at all in how I felt. It was tasty, and kept away any pangs of hunger before lunch, but overall, I was the same. I felt myself slipping into a binge around 6:30, but stopped. I was glad to recognize it and end it at 2 yogurts, not rationalize it away. I have to be better about letting my food settle before deciding to eat more. And no more yogurt. It's a teeny bit of a trigger food for me, and I need to take it easy on myself by calming my environment.
    I struggle with trigger foods too, but I don't know if it's all in my head or not?! Nuts, dried fruit or in fact anything sugary. Yesterday I had a smoothie with sugar in then spent the rest of the afternoon in a compulsive overeating sugar fest. Or did I just need the sugar. I wish I knew! Do you have other trigger foods? Do you think them more a psychological trigger or a physical one?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    "I struggle with trigger foods too, but I don't know if it's all in my head or not?! Nuts, dried fruit or in fact anything sugary. Yesterday I had a smoothie with sugar in then spent the rest of the afternoon in a compulsive overeating sugar fest. Or did I just need the sugar. I wish I knew! Do you have other trigger foods? Do you think them more a psychological trigger or a physical one?"
    Trigger foods are basically any "cheat foods", anything processed or sweet. As far as primal food goes, yogurt, dried fruit, real fruit, nuts...Honestly, i can binge on anything. I want to eat everything until I physically can't. That's how I know it's totally compulsive.

I've thought about this genesis of binging as well, and I think it's sort of a feedback loop. The first episode, years ago, stemmed from very restricted eating, then it became a pattern of self-soothing. When I fell back into it with fervor this December, it was after being really strict with myself while dieting down for a party. I was the thinnest I've ever been, and after giving myself a 'cheat day', I went completely nuts. I haven't been able to climb out of it since.

I bought a bunch of self-help books in January, and one of them, Brain Over Binge, describes this same cycle. The binges start from biological need, then simply become a habit. The author just stops binging by ignoring her impulses to binge. While I can't say that I've been able to implement her strategy for getting out of the habit effectively, her reasoning for how it becomes an ingrained behavior makes sense.
    Last edited by TinaJefferson; 05-14-2013 at 06:34 PM.

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast