Thread: Commercial Lard vs Roasting Lard... page

Kochin is offline Senior Member

Commercial Lard vs Roasting Lard...

Primal Fuel
    No contest.

Seriously, the commerical stuff is OK as an emergency back-up, but I'd far rather use coconut oil or butter.

However, when it comes to the lovely fat that drips off my roasts... *drool* I could eat that stuff with a spoon! And it's definitely not the seasoning, as last-time I just roasted the pork plain and it was STILL fab. You get this lovely layer of pork-jelly and bits of meat in the bottom, too, which really adds flavour to fried eggs. I make a point of getting REALLY fatty joints and roasting them until the crackling is nice and chewy-crunchy. Then I get about a cupful (250ml) of "juice" from the pan, most of which solidifies into fat.

Been using it almost exclusively for the past week. Couldn't be happier.
    --
    Perfection is entirely individual. Any philosophy or pursuit that encourages individuality has merit in that it frees people. Any that encourages shackles only has merit in that it shows you how wrong and desperate the human mind can get in its pursuit of truth.

--
    I get blunter and more narcissistic by the day.
    I'd apologize, but...

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I love to do that too. Also,my local organic free range pig farm GIVES me fat which I render down to lard in my slow cooker. Not as delicious as the lard that comes off a big fatty joint, but still excellent! (Roast potatoes - yum!)