Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Children's lunches photo thread page 6

banananutmuffin is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Ayla: Have you considered packing warm lunches instead of cold? That way you could add butter and such to them. I know Japanese bento boxes are usually warm/room temp. The woman who wrote the Vegan Lunchbox book often sent her kid off with warm lunches. I *think* she bought insulated stainless steel bento type box things for warm lunches. These days it seems like school kids each their lunches way early in the day. If you pack it hot in the morning, in an insulated container/bag, it should still be warm at lunch.

ETA: Here's the name of one of the lunch containers supposed to keep things hot. I just skimmed the reviews, and it seems like that your food will still be warm after 6 hours as long as it's piping hot when you pack it: Zojirushi SL-NCE09 Ms. Bento Stainless-Steel Vacuum Lunch Jar

Here's another kid lunch: preservative-free deli turkey cut into flowers, carrot/cucumber shapes with homemade primal ranch dip, carrot sticks, blueberries, cheese cut like baby chicks.

CAM00660.jpg
    Last edited by banananutmuffin; 02-05-2013 at 04:40 PM.
    Female, 40 yrs old, 5', 120 lbs (post-pregnancy)
    Went Primal January 2, 2012!

Paleo Cooking for Cavekids cookbook

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lorichka6 View Post
    Ayla - do you make those lamb sausages or buy them? I assume you aren't in the states so if you buy them local I guess I'm out of luck. Lamb and mint sausages sound fantastic!
    Na my butcher makes them with no preservatives. He has a huge range of things he makes up.

Banananutmuffin, ill get a LunchBots thermos for winter. Its summer here, so he prob wouldn't want warm lunches at the moment anyway. Both my children seem to prefer their dinners cold too LOL

I checked out the dried fruit, and the sultanas have vegetable oil, WTF for?
    I got some organic sultanas that had sunflower oil, but I don't get why?
    Also got some ham and salami, this is a sometimes thing I buy, as I don't like the nitrates, and have yet to find a source of nitrate free salami, if it exists. My butcher does nitrate free ham, but not going there till next week again.

Tomorrows lunch:
    Guacamole
    Tuna covered in olive oil
    Ham and salami wrapped around cheddar cheese (he has the other half of these in another container for recess)
    Grapes, strawberries and a date ball
    Carrot sticks and cucumber
    Plus the apple for fruit break.

meeshar is offline Senior Member
    Unfortunately my little one is full of snot, so she's staying home today. However, I made mini-muffins for her breakfast boxes and thought I'd share a pic and the recipe instead of a lunchbox pic.

The recipe is loosely based on this, but I made quite a few changes (and prefer them) so it's almost it's own recipe. Paleo Morning Glory Muffins

I'm calling them "kitchen sink muffins" because it felt like I was throwing everything in there but the kitchen sink. :P

Ingredients:
    1/2 cup mashed banana/applesauce mix (can be any sweetish mash--sweet potato, pumpkin, butternut, etc. but I prefer the banana/applesauce flavor)
    1/2 cup shredded coconut
    3 grated baby carrots
    3/4 cup almond flour
    2-3 tblsp. honey
    2 eggs
    1 tsp. vanilla
    hearty dash cinnamon
    1 tsp. baking powder
    1/2 cup chocolate chips (or raisins, craisins, nuts, etc.)--these had a mix of Enjoy Life chips and King Arthur cinnamon chips

Mix well and bake in greased or lined muffin tin. Bake muffins at 350 for 20-30 mins, until tops are brown and toothpick comes out clean. Makes 24 mini; 12 reg.

Quote Originally Posted by Ayla2010 View Post

Tomorrows lunch:
    Guacamole
    Tuna covered in olive oil
    Ham and salami wrapped around cheddar cheese (he has the other half of these in another container for recess)
    Grapes, strawberries and a date ball
    Carrot sticks and cucumber
    Plus the apple for fruit break.
    Looks yummy! Is that the larger PlanetBox? How old is your kiddo?

LauraSB is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lorichka6 View Post
    Ayla - do you make those lamb sausages or buy them? I assume you aren't in the states so if you buy them local I guess I'm out of luck. Lamb and mint sausages sound fantastic!
    My Whole Foods always has lamb sausage made in-house, sometimes a couple of different ones. I've always thought "yum" but was never sure what to do with them. After seeing Ayla's pics, I'm just going buy some and cook them up to take for lunch. If I leave a couple in the frig, the kids will probably snack on them too.
    50yo, 5'3"
    SW-195
    CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
    GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

Quote Originally Posted by meeshar View Post
    Looks yummy! Is that the larger PlanetBox? How old is your kiddo?
    Yep the larger one.
    He is 5 yrs 5 months.

Quote Originally Posted by LauraSB View Post
    My Whole Foods always has lamb sausage made in-house, sometimes a couple of different ones. I've always thought "yum" but was never sure what to do with them. After seeing Ayla's pics, I'm just going buy some and cook them up to take for lunch. If I leave a couple in the frig, the kids will probably snack on them too.
    these are pretty tasty.

Quote Originally Posted by Ayla2010 View Post
    Yep the larger one.
    He is 5 yrs 5 months.
    Good to know, thanks. I'm still trying to figure out the best size for mine, she'll be 5 at the end of next month. The small leak-proof LunchBots are too small.

Top box is breakfast - "kitchen sink" mini muffins, bacon, yogurt tube, and a banana.
    Lunch - Ham, carrots, cherry tomatoes, cheese stick, and a fruit leather.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast