Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Primal Freak-out? page 2

the_walrus0 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EagleRiverDee View Post
    \

I'm not big on crowds either, and Costco does get crazy. Which one did you go to? I've found the one on Dimond seems to be less crowded than the one on Debarr, generally. I need to start going there soon because buying primal foods at Carrs is ridiculously expensive. Fred Meyer had fresh Buffalo meat on sale 2 days ago, though. They may still have some. Costco is a good place to get seafood, even if you can't find grass fed meat. And I'm pretty sure you can get organic frozen veggies. Not sure on fresh.
    I shop at the one on Dimond and at the Fred Myers on Dimond too, as I live right behind the Village Inn. I also head down Old Seward to the Natural Pantry to get my meat since it's the only place I know with emphasis on organic, pasture raised and grass fed stuff.

Costco isn't too bad, but it's very different from Fred Meyers. I did get a whole organic chicken at Fred Meyers the other day, and some organic chicken legs. I try to go back to their meat area and see what they have. I did see the buffalo meat but I wouldn't even know what to do with it.

I hardly ever go into Carrs, unless it's the closest thing around. I'm lost in their too. See, I go to Freddies probably more than I go anywhere else, so I know exactly where everything is, albeit they don't always have what I need.

EagleRiverDee is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by the_walrus0 View Post
    I did see the buffalo meat but I wouldn't even know what to do with it.
    Anything you would do with beef you can do with the similar cut of buffalo. The burger is interchangeable in recipes, and the steaks are bomber. Just red meat goodness with very little fat.
    High Weight: 225
    Weight at start of Primal: 189
    Current Weight: 174
    Goal Weight: 130

Primal Start Date: 11/26/2012

the_walrus0 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EagleRiverDee View Post
    Anything you would do with beef you can do with the similar cut of buffalo. The burger is interchangeable in recipes, and the steaks are bomber. Just red meat goodness with very little fat.
    Ah, I'm not a fan of ground meat.

I don't actually cook a lot of beef. I make a roast and then eat that for like 5 days, varying between lunch and dinner. Although next week I'd like to make it last more like 7 days.

PrimalWriter is offline Member
    Taking into account that you live in Alaska, it's also possible your local Costco doesn't have the same selection. How is access to fresh fish? (Trying not to stereotype the options by geography!)

You might need to do some research into what's available in your area. Maybe you can't access beef, but what are your other options? Moose? Elk? Caribou? Rabbit? Also, I think there's some info on the site about how to prioritize--I vaguely remember seeing (and it could have been in the book) a list Mark did about local, grass-fed organic first, then local, grass-fed, etc. The idea, generally, is to do the best you can, recognizing that everyone's circumstances are different. That $25 for an on-sale free-range chicken that will last you for five meals is a great bargain....but that's not helpful if you don't have $25. So maybe you can't go organic, local, grass-fed at first, or not for everything, but you do what you can when. And maybe after a few months of "I can't" will gradually transition to "wow, was I spending that much on potato chips? Look, it's enough to add X to my diet!" Trust me, you can do this on a budget, but you will have to make choices.

A good starting point, too, is grass-fed ground beef. It tends to be a couple bucks more a pound where I live, but you will very likely find that you eat less without thinking about it. And maybe if you start with just one item, you'll find Costco is easier to navigate. Go in planning to just find organic grass fed ground beef, even if you have to ask the guy behind the counter. Next time, look for something different, and pick up the ground beef on your way out.

I have no advice about vegetables--sorry. Realistically, does Alaska have a growing season, and farmers' markets? Summer tends to be much easier, although any more....my mom, who lives in the midwest, has lost two gardens in a row from drought. Guy in the produce dept. at my local grocery this morning told me they're losing produce now because growing areas that usually produce this time of year have been frozen out. That probably doesn't help, but at least you know you aren't alone

Good luck!
    My primal journal: My journey, goals, recipes, random thoughts on primal and SAD.

It's all about the journey. How we get there is at least as important as where we end up.

PrimalWriter is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    just saw your reply above. Ignore my suggestion about ground beef, then
    My primal journal: My journey, goals, recipes, random thoughts on primal and SAD.

It's all about the journey. How we get there is at least as important as where we end up.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12