Thread: bacon vs side pork fat

Hybrid View

bacon vs side pork fat

I am trying out side pork in place of bacon this week - any reason to store the fat separately? This is really FRESH side - it is as stiff as a board Cooking it with salt and pepper - it is a little thicker than I am used to but I think I like it! It is certainly less expensive than the really good dry rubbed black forest bacon I've been getting from Whole Foods...

Thats great...I just made "sausage" this morning from regular ground pork. Just takes a bit of spice and herbs to make bacon and sausage . I like my bacon extra thick anyhow.

Oh just saw there was a question thrown in there. Nah, no reason.... pork fat is pork fat no matter which way you slice it

Thanks - that is what I thought but you never know. I make my own sausage from ground pork as well - it seems like they always have things in the ingredients that I don't want - especially canola oil...

We occassionally buy side pork instead of bacon. It's thicker and less likely to have so many additives. I don't understand your queston - 'store it seperately' from what?