Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: For the love of Samgyeopsal (primal journal of a couple in Asia) page 2

Khainag is offline Member
    Primal Fuel
    Hey PiA, good luck! I'm very sorry to hear about your bowel surgery...

I really urge you to do the 21-Day Challenge. I lived in Seoul for a month and I cannot imagine trying to start Primal there without some really really strict groundrules like that... I'm afraid you guys are really going to have to not eat out at all. Including from the teacher's break room.

I'll just refer you to my rant about Korean food in Seoul vs. Korean food in Mongolia:
    SAD makes me MAD (a journal about Mongolian food and living with mullings on struggles with GERD, IBS and acne)http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread66073.html

SAD makes me MAD (a journal about Mongolian food and living with mullings on struggles with GERD, IBS and acne)http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread66073.html

I bet you may have a much better idea of how/where to get Primal-friendly stuff in Seoul though! It does seem to be around, just have to figure out where the best outdoor markets would be... Dongdaemon definitely had great looking stuff though I would like to be able to know more about where it came from, and I imagine that you are living pretty far from there.

Also, hiking around Seoul is AMAZING! I went to Suraksan I think it was with some friends... I wish I had that here in New Jersey...

PrimalInAsia is offline Junior Member
    Khainag! I don't want to put any weird online pressure on you but.....YOU ARE MY FIRST JOURNAL FRIEND. That makes us besties mmk? Haha, no seriously, thanks for stopping by! And your journal is fascinating! I applaud your fervor for keeping track of information, I am so shit at that. I live in the third largest city in Korea (not Seoul) and it still has amazing shijangs (local open air markets) with great stuff, though my Korean isn't good enough to ask about the origins. They're also hugely into bone marrow here which has helped me a lot (while I was in hospital there was a special on TV about it.) But you are so right about eating out: impossible! EVERYTHING has doenjang or gochujang (which has sugar in it) corn syrup, or soy sauce. It's also very popular to use canola/ grapeseed/ and soy oil. Actually for both a Chuseok and a Seollnal present from my principal, I was given an enormous gift set of soy oil. Very popular. That being said, I am a convenience eating junkie, so gimbap and bibimbap and ddeokbeokki and cheetos and coke zero are just right up my alley. It is ridding myself of those habits that is hardest of all, and they were engrained long before I came to Korea.

Today:

AM- lemon drink with welch's grape juice, digestive probiotic

L- beef broth, 2 hardboiled eggs with salt, homemade grape juice gelatin

snack- candy, potato chips

D- hamburger steak and small amount of rice at Homeplus

snack- butter decaf coffee, dried prunes and peanut MnM's

I have a TERRIBLE sugar dip at 2:30-3:00 when I am finished teaching. I mean, I am just plain ready to sleep standing up. I wonder if I need to consume more calories before my lunchtime to even myself out. I think my hormones are pretty messed up because of my time in hospital not being able to take my BC pills and also essentially not eating for two weeks. BUT I also need to remember to drink lots of water, which I have forgotten the past few days and could be adding to my feelings of 'hunger.'The weight is coming back on and I am feeling quite shitty as of late, so my plan is this:

B- butter and coconut oil in decaf coffee, one digestive probiotic tablet

L- 3 hardboiled eggs (one just yolk, I don't want the whites to become an issue for my gut), beef broth, and gelatin

snack- handful of nuts (this could be kind of dangerous, I would much prefer almond butter but I'll have to special order it)

D- mackerel with lots of garlic, mashed pumpkin, more beef broth if desired, more gelatin if desired.

I need to eat more, that is for sure. I have a fear of eating too much due to pain in my bowels being overwhelming. BUT, have no fear!!

Sidenote- did the warm- up for Turbulence Training at-home Abs or whatever, and that is all I could do but hey, it's something. Walking to work tomorrow.

Hey! Thanks for the very detailed and interesting reply about shijang, bone marrow, Chuseok, etc.! I'm glad you liked reading my stuff too, was concerned about being a bit intrusive on your blog but I was super excited to find it!

Sounds like you are doing pretty good, stay healthy! I have such a hard time with figuring out when I'm overanalyzing my food, being to strict, etc. but I have really gotten past some really scary IBS. My mom is also doing PB to an extent, and said it's been helping her with some issues she's had since she had a bowel surgery (she had some collateral damage during a hysterectomy and they had to take a piece out and sew her back up... ). But yeah, I think it's generally, and especially during recovery from stuff like this, to have some extra fat!

Today:

B- decaf butter coffee (see above post for details)

L- 3 hardboiled eggs, beef broth, homemade gelatin, potato chips

snack- candy, prunes and nuts

D- 2 small mackerel fillets, steamed pumpkin and garlic

snack- prunes, decaf coffee with cream and xylitol

late night snack- rice balls with wasabi, some raw fish

Really up in the air today. I am on the monthly week of awesome and so far it is going badly as usual. Enormous pangs ofo hunger for sugary foods, and my usual stubborn can't-give-a-f*ck attitude is at its all time high. Today I thought about not having sugar and potato chips: I did NOT have a sugar crash, there was no logical (ish) reason to eat them. But I laughed and told myself "I want it, so I'm gonna eat it." I only really enjoy these foods though when I am alone, and I feel relaxed and able to breathe and just indulge. That's obviously an attitude surrounding food I need to deal with, I didn't realize I felt that way!
    My tummy is all over the place today as well. Lots of pockets of gas, lots of diarrhea, and huge amounts of undigested matter in my stool as well. Mostly nuts and vegetable/fruit matter. I know what I am currently eating isn't the best (nuts and prunes) so gotta give that up for tomorrow. All in all a good effort today and I will try harder tomorrow. Here's to a good nights sleep (hopefully!!)

Hmm, Wednesday. I love Wednesday because it is the easiest day of the week for me (teaching-wise.) My period is really heavy this week though along with the accompanying carb binges and headaches and achiness. I am reading about the Leptin Reset on some of the threads here and I visited the proper website. I am thinking it is a good move to make next week as I am noticing my hunger is slightly..uncontrollable? Like its not just in my mind. So, will begin that journey soon! I don't think it will be a major change but it will make major changes...if you know what I mean. That's a damn good combination. Today:

B- butter coffee
    snack- potato chips and lots of salt

L- 2 hard boiled eggs, beef broth, jello.

snack- candy, potato chips

D- mackerel with pumpkin and onions

snacking- potato chips, sour glow worms, 2 decaf coffees with cream, eggs cooked in butter (had a crazy craving for eggs)

CLEARLY still eating too much junk food. I am a bit helpless around it, if I am being honest. I also need to watch how many eggs I eat per day as my body might start getting sensitive. Today was....meh. Feeling very achey and stuffy and sh*tty and desperately hoping it is just my period and not the crazy cold my husband has right now. CANNOT get sick. I barely have an immune system after 3 solid weeks of antibiotics!! I need to be vigilant about the digestive enzyme probiotics. Maybe 2 per day.

Oy vey! This thing is TOUGH. Why is it so tough?! I don't think I am used to listening to my body signals yet, not at all. Today:

B- sausage and egg scramble with bacon. decaf coffee with cream and gelatin (trying to get 50 gr of protein)

L- cheese stick, half of a kimbap triangle, honey roasted peanuts.

snack- beef jerky, sugar free cider(like sprite here in Korea), 4 pieces of hard candy

D- half of a bowl of dolsot bibimbap, some galbitang, sugar free cider

snack- chocolate bar (dove, milk choco)

might have another coffee and some cheese before bed.

So, I am still craving candy when I'm at work and finally finished with my classes. Especially if no one else is in my room. My office has become a bit of a stressful zone as kids are in and out of there constantly, and I am finding myself leaving the premises for lunch just to get some peace and quiet. I'm also really dead after lunch, and with my schedule this semester I have a lot of late afternoon classes. I'm just not quite gelling with my work time atm. Mornings and nights are good, but I am finding afternoons by far the most challenging part of my day. What to do about this....?

I feel like my perfectionism could be getting in the way so I want to include a positive thing with every post.
    Positive- I am consistently taking 2 probiotics per day, and I am eating a good breakfast and walking A LOT. Today marks the first day I have gone without my special tummy corset and my muscles are sore and swollen and I had a few run-ins with the toilet today but DAMNIT, I'm getting better!
    Last edited by PrimalInAsia; 04-15-2013 at 03:10 AM. Reason: to add positivity

Wow! So it's been a while since I've been on, as usual. Today was day 2 of my full leptin reset protocol. I may have eaten more than 50 carbs today, but I am really happy with my overall effort this week! My breakfast is large (as is recommended) and my lunch is protein-rich but a little small. At about 3:00- I start to feel really, really hungry!!! I don't dinner until about 6- 6:30 so this is a really rough patch in the day, but I am hoping to reset my hunger signals for a different time frame. I used to work odd hours and I never got to eat lunch before noon, so I think my body has adjusted to that. I'm happy with my food choices, as I have chosen to not include grains, sugar or sugar substitutes for the 30 days of leptin reset. It's amazing how accustomed to the occasional (every day!) diet soda or xylitol in the coffee you can get. Anyway, keep on keepin on folk and I hope to provide more detail when I get over this 4 day beginning hump.

Sounds like you are doing great! Keep it up!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast