Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do any of you count calories? page

the_walrus0 is offline Member

Do any of you count calories?

Primal Fuel
    I have decided to really give the primal lifestyle a good 30 days to sink before trying to tweak it for weight loss, but as an overweight woman, who's been overweight a very long time, I can't help but try to calculate the calories I've had for the day.

I think today, eating until full and trying not to overdue it, I will end the day at about 2500 calories. For me that's what generally leaves me at the same weight(maintenance calories).

I wonder if, after being off grains and sugar for a while, I will have an easier time eating less and still feeling satisfied? I am happy to be eating maintenance and feeling satisfied, don't get me wrong, but I'm afraid as soon as I try to step into a calorie deficit I'm going to fall right back in old binging and overeating habits.

I'm not going primal strictly to lose weight, but you can't deny that at 21 years old, 5'8 and 260 lbs that this is an unhealthy weight to be at. I'm not in it for vanity, but I just don't want to be constantly thinking about food and I definitely want to get some energy back and start exercising. I hate being breathless after one set of stairs. It's very bad.

Anyways, for anyone who's losing weight or trying to lose weight, do you count calories?

Louisa655 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by the_walrus0 View Post
    I have decided to really give the primal lifestyle a good 30 days to sink before trying to tweak it for weight loss, but as an overweight woman, who's been overweight a very long time, I can't help but try to calculate the calories I've had for the day.

I think today, eating until full and trying not to overdue it, I will end the day at about 2500 calories. For me that's what generally leaves me at the same weight(maintenance calories).

I wonder if, after being off grains and sugar for a while, I will have an easier time eating less and still feeling satisfied? I am happy to be eating maintenance and feeling satisfied, don't get me wrong, but I'm afraid as soon as I try to step into a calorie deficit I'm going to fall right back in old binging and overeating habits.

I'm not going primal strictly to lose weight, but you can't deny that at 21 years old, 5'8 and 260 lbs that this is an unhealthy weight to be at. I'm not in it for vanity, but I just don't want to be constantly thinking about food and I definitely want to get some energy back and start exercising. I hate being breathless after one set of stairs. It's very bad.

Anyways, for anyone who's losing weight or trying to lose weight, do you count calories?
    i count and log daily and it is not a stressor for me.
    ----------------------------------------
    F, 48, 5'10"
    Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
    Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    Only sometimes but it is a stressor for me.
    Honestly just follow the book for a while and see how you go. It does take time but weight loss will happen.

healthy11 is offline Senior Member
    I think you are smart to just eat a primal diet for a month and then tweak it if you need to. I battled with yo-yo dieting and binge eating my whole life until becoming Primal. Your body needs to be nourished and once it is you will no longer be obsessed with food. You will also be able to cut your calories without relapsing due to the high percentage of fat we consume eating this way. Saturated fat cured me of binge eating. I don't count calories and have learned to listen to my body. I cut my portions a bit when I'm not losing and up my fat and lower my carbs.

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    I do and try to stay at or below 1 500 with pretty intence exercise schedule. That's just to maintain.
    It's not really a stressor for me and I do go over that number ocassionally.
    I wish I could eat a little more, though.

LauraSB is offline Senior Member
    I count every.single.calorie. I also get on the scale every.single.day. It was calorie counting that brought me to primal eating, because I figured out on my own that grains were a waste of my calorie budget and searching for recipes that used just meat and veggies kept turning up MDA. But I'm a scientist and turning my food into numbers both distanced me from the emotional aspect of overeating and made it easier for me to see which foods were a waste in terms of my goals and which were a help.

Even after losing 60 lbs and feeling OK eating ~1400 calories most days, I can still see that eating based only on my appetite is still not quite right for me. I quickly drift toward the number of calories that would keep me 150 lbs or so. Perhaps in time my unmonitored appetite will shrink to a size that will permit me to stay at a healthy weight. Until then, I'm counting calories.
    50yo, 5'3"
    SW-195
    CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
    GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

heatseeker is offline Senior Member
    I count and log all food calories. It doesn't stress me, it just helps me make sure I'm where I want to be. Honestly, most of the time, I fall short of my calorie goal and wind up making myself eat more.

Kata is offline Senior Member
    It's not a bad idea to count calories when you're starting out. Once you've adjusted and become fat adapted, it may be easier for you fill up on fewer calories. That seems to be a common experience among primals. Then, after you've found your groove, hopefully you won't need to bother counting calories anymore. Good luck to you!

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Yes and no. Yes in that I count them. No in that it doesn't keep me from eating what I want. As an example, let's say I maintain my cw at 1500 calories. I eat what I want. One day, that means 2000 calories (or maybe even more if I go out to eat). The next day, I adjust for the additional calories. So if I eat 2000 calories one day, I eat 1000 cal the next.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

the_walrus0 is offline Member
    Thank you for all the replies. I think I'm going to keep transitioning into the lifestyle for another few weeks, give my body a chance to adjust and then go from there. I am working on getting my sleep habits more normalized as well, and possibly adding back in yoga which really helps my stress levels. If I focus on those things for 30 days then I think at the end I can honestly evaluate my efforts.

Too often I try something for two weeks and then become frustrated that I'm not losing. Considering the smoking, drug abuse, binge drinking and SAD diet...it's a surprise I'm not dead. My body is going to need some time to figure it all out.

But to be completely honest with you all, eating this way rocks!! I had baked chicken legs for dinner and I ate the skin! I also have broccoli and mushrooms with butter.

Another thing that I noticed is that I wasn't hungry at all after work! I mean, I was, but I usually come home from work ravenous, even if I ate a snack right before heading home. I would come in the door and just start eating whatever I could. Today I even went to the grocery store, spent some time mulling over canned tuna and salmon, browsed the organic meat aisle, found a cabbage for my soup and came home still able to calmly prepare my dinner without snacking.

That's honestly a really big deal for me. I've been struggling with binge eating for a while, but particularly the last few months since my hours at work were bumped up, and the start of a new semester. I have spent the past three months raiding the office candy drawer, spending my change on chips and candy in the vending machine, coming home and tearing the pantry apart to literally look for something to eat while my real dinner cooked. No matter what I ate this happened, although my diet was very SAD.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast